Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1BJBs 86 4Runner 3/31 shake down run @ Raush Creek pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default 1BJBs 86 4Runner 3/31 shake down run @ Raush Creek pics

SO I have had probably 80% of the parts needed to SAS my runner but had several set backs...No one to weld, no 220 outlet, no welder, bad birfield etc... I put in an order with TG on Monday for 2 new 4330 better then stock birfields, backing plate eliminators, ARB air compressor, 4.88 gears, solid spacer, bearing kit etc...Had the the birfields and backing plate eliminators 3 day mailed and started working on the axle last night. Everything came together this week, got a 220 line dropped in, found people to weld and friends to help

Sure enough, I put the new TG Birfs in all my problems went away. I was having this weird issue that when I installed the marlin one, only on the drivers side...soon as I put the spindle on the entire axle would start binding and it would get worst the more you assembled it. I called marlin they said theirs are beefier then stock and I need to clearance the knuckle ball...I thought this was weird because the other one fit perfect on the other side. I had my step dad's friend's machine inspect it and its only .002 larger in over all out diameter over stock. All the other measurements checked out as well so the only thing we could assume is that the bearings inside are bad...kinda sux cause they were NIB :? when I got them from my friend with the axle.

Anyways, I started cleaning up the frame last night

I took the truck to my Step dad's friend shop and he welded the front hanger and tubes in for me, I then headed back to my garage and started tearing down

While I dissembled my friend Joe welded on the plate on the drivers side perch

Dropped the steering links

Cut the torsions bar and removed the upper A arms

Front spring perch

Shackle tubes and plated frame hole

My buddy Wade working the torch

Myself working the torch

Lighting my balls on fire...NFG

Yeah, they are still there....

IFS IS OUT!

Long days work...started at 7 am

starting to grind stuff down

and my friend Joe snapped this while I was acting like an asshole pretending to pissing on the IFS crap
be

tomorrow we are starting at 7am again, have to finish cutting some stuff off and grinding everything down. Then we have to weld in the motor mount plates and then we can installed leafs and slide the axle under

Stay tuned

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-30-2010 at 07:58 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/ check him out for any thing you may need
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Built, not bought

It's about time you got somewhere on this.
Glad to see it's starting to come together for you.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Web Wheeling

Looking good, figure out how you are running your front brake lines without the backing plate? I cut my backing plates down, so I could use the stock brake line mounting bracket as you can see in this picture http://www.turtlecrawler.com/toyota/...s/P1010878.jpg

I would have been hanging that axle up tonight, and finish grinding and welding the frame up tomorrow, just to see the axle under the truck
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Mike, I know you have been waiting a while for this.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

No turning back now! Lookin good man.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
It's about time you got somewhere on this.
Glad to see it's starting to come together for you.
Thanks Pat, it feels good to be doing work finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Looking good, figure out how you are running your front brake lines without the backing plate? I cut my backing plates down, so I could use the stock brake line mounting bracket as you can see in this picture http://www.turtlecrawler.com/toyota/...s/P1010878.jpg

I would have been hanging that axle up tonight, and finish grinding and welding the frame up tomorrow, just to see the axle under the truck
Hmm....Didnt even think about that that Mike...I guess after its all under the truck I can see what I am going to do about them. Know of any links/pics of guys using them with what brackets they made/used to get it done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
Looking good Mike, I know you have been waiting a while for this.
Thanks Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
No turning back now! Lookin good man.

Heading out to grab a coffee and some breakfast then its back into the garage
Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Web Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Hmm....Didnt even think about that that Mike...I guess after its all under the truck I can see what I am going to do about them. Know of any links/pics of guys using them with what brackets they made/used to get it done?
Most people buy the brake line brackets which all of the vendors have, then weld them to the highsteer arm. You could also cut the old bracket off the stock backing plate and weld that to your arm.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ine+welded+arm

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardwar...line-mount-set
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Most people buy the brake line brackets which all of the vendors have, then weld them to the highsteer arm. You could also cut the old bracket off the stock backing plate and weld that to your arm.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardwar...line-mount-set

Rock on dude, I am definitely just going to cut my stock backing plates and bolt it to the caliper, that is easy enough

Here are todays pics

Went at the frame with two grinders

While Wade and I were grinding Joe welded the bump stops up for the u bolt flip

Joe doing work with the welder, welded in the motor mount supports

Some last minute inspecting before hanging the shackles

Hanging some shackles

Hanging the leafs

Ready for the axle now

Axle slid under

Time for the shock hoops

Me fighting with the lower shock mount

Wade was pretty upset that i got over spray on my steering links, so he went at it with some toyota brake cleaner

Look at those silly 31s

All finished up...was a long weekend but it went really really well. Everything is done except for the brake lines and steering stabilizer...we didn't realize you have to weld a new bracket it for the new one and had already put the welding stuff away all neatly :? Gotta pick up some new calipers, truck had been loosing brake fluid a little bit over a long period of time...finally saw it was coming out of the caliper.

tomorrow I am going to drop the tank and get started on the rear stuff

for now its rolling again thanks to help of a few good friends

Thanks for looking
-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-31-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Web Wheeling

Looking good

Buy calipers for a 94 4runner with a v6, they are larger then the calipers you had. Any v6 caliper will do, just easy to tell them you have a 94 Give them your old 4cyl calipers as cores, they won't know the difference. But bring the cores in later, side by side you can see the difference.

I am not running a steering stabilizer, don't feel I really need one. Might help a little, but its not critical to get it on the road.

And it looks like you could have used some flap wheels for the final grinding

I use those for grinding, and finish work all the time. Hardly touch grinding discs, its either a cutting wheel or flap disc. They run $5-10 a disc depending on where you buy them, Harbor freight sells the Norton wheels for $5 a pop, everyone else sells the same wheel for $10 or more.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Trying to have Fun Again

Looks good Mike. I picked up a 85 4-runner that I plan to do a trail gear lift on. How much lift did you go?
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Looking good

Buy calipers for a 94 4runner with a v6, they are larger then the calipers you had. Any v6 caliper will do, just easy to tell them you have a 94 Give them your old 4cyl calipers as cores, they won't know the difference. But bring the cores in later, side by side you can see the difference.

I am not running a steering stabilizer, don't feel I really need one. Might help a little, but its not critical to get it on the road.

And it looks like you could have used some flap wheels for the final grinding

I use those for grinding, and finish work all the time. Hardly touch grinding discs, its either a cutting wheel or flap disc. They run $5-10 a disc depending on where you buy them, Harbor freight sells the Norton wheels for $5 a pop, everyone else sells the same wheel for $10 or more.
Thanks for the info Mike, I will grab some of those for the work on the rear this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
Looks good Mike. I picked up a 85 4-runner that I plan to do a trail gear lift on. How much lift did you go?
I went with the 3" kit, A lot of people seem to do the 4" but I didnt want it to be insanely tall...plus I only want to run 35s...Most say that the 3" kit is really equivalent to a 4+" inch lift between the front hanger bar and the shackles. Truck seems HUGE to me now, the springs will settle a lot I am sure...but it will definitely clear 35s with no problem
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Sinking with the ship

Last Friday I yanked the rear out of the 4runner

I dropped the tank out as well, I just had this feeling that welding near it with it in the truck was a bad idea...when I went to pull it down I discovered that the main fuel line was actually rotted out and was seeping through Good thing I pulled it..

Rear suspension came apart real easily...even the 2pc shackles which NEVER come apart usually came apart

I also finished up a few last things on the front of the truck. Using Etype's links to Pirate I found a clever way of securing the front brake lines using the stock mount part from the original backing plates

As per Etype's advice I also upgraded to v6 calipers (bigger) and installed factory brake pads, shims, and hardware

Also got the steering stabilizer in

My friend Joe tack'd everything in place, then we checked shackle angle and sunday my Stepdad's friend George came by and fully welded everything in

Its rolling again

Today I ordered these http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/BF-...0697&t_pl=6396 and these http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro...21&t_pl=101829

Also grabbed a lock right from them as well for the rear. Next up is to get the tank back in (getting boiled out and cleaned), hook up rear brake stuff, then get the drive shafts made up and the rear gear set and locker done. Also have a set of Marlin sliders for it too

Its getting there...More to follow
-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 02-09-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Looks good, One of these days I'll have a shop and will do a nice trail truck too.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Looks great, but your spring hanger gussets are on upside down... I would also recommend gusseting the back of the hanger to the frame too.
TLTkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

God I hate taking apart those rusty shackles. We did this when we swapped leafs on my Buddy's '88 pickup and it was a nightmare. Granted it was pouring rain and we had to make it to inspection by closing time the same afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Looks imposing, but needs the bigger tires. Good choice with the Mud Terrains btw.

Last edited by radishkid; 02-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Sinking with the ship

4Runner is drivable again, not wheelable yet, but its getting there. I borrowed my moms 35s off of her rolled Tacomer to get an idea of what it will look like with 35s on it.

Drove it to work today, did a brake flush on it, stops good now also did an alignment...took all of 5 minutes

More to follow
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

looks awsome mike!
that sas came out sweet!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Gettin’ back on the horse

Bigger!!!!!

Looks like room for 36's maybe 37's to me.

You got wheels with more offset then that right?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

Looks like you cut your rear fenders, how did that go for you? looking good