Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Toyota Engine options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Toyota Engine options

Carbed? V8? Gas mileage? Don't think so. You'll be looking at ~15 if you've got a solid engine and properly tuned carb.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Carbed? V8? Gas mileage? Don't think so. You'll be looking at ~15 if you've got a solid engine and properly tuned carb.
we have an old bronco with a v8 that gets 16, and its carbed. drop a v8 in a truck that weighs nothing and it'll do the same or better.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #43
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Is this truck 2wd or 4wd? What did you replace suspension wise that was 600? Have you done a compression test?

If it was me I would fix the known issues first. Then pull the valve cover and check out the timing chain guides. Replacing a timing chain on a 22r is about as easy as it gets, pull the radiator and there is plenty of room. A lot easier then an engine swap.
Its 4wd, and i replaced just about everything that wears out ball joints, tire rod endings, shocks, idler arm, etc. Also put brakes on it and replaced one of the shafts...

Problem is, if i was todo just the timing chain and seen a potential issue or problem then i'd replace that, and it just snow balls like the tires and suspension did. Went to replace tires (we've got a tire machine), while it was up on jacks i noticed how scary sloppy the front end was (and yet it drove like a champ down the road), working on the suspension i noticed one of my cv boots was trashed and the joint was trashed as well, so replaced a drive shaft, then i noticed brake pads were shot...

So i'd just start fresh with an complete rebuild if i was to keep the 22re, which would require me to pull the engine anyways, my tranny needs work so i'd pull it too.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #44

Do a rebuild with a mild cam(RV style) and header. The 88 22re had different fuel injectors(impedance) and cold start injector time switch that never worked right. Ebay usually has some rebuilt infectors pretty cheap. Have you checked your shifter bushing? They wear out and cause the shifter to pop out under and off load. I too considered a v8 swap. But I decided to do a 5vz 3.4 swap instead. I put it in my 88 4runner and now it's in my 94 pickup. The 4runner required me to cut and move my motor mounts.I had to also relocate the exhaust to dump on the drivers side, get a v6 trans and adapter for my doubler. If you do go v8. Get a Ford. Not being biased, just the distributor is in the front. Makes for less firewall and hammer work. They 22re is and will never be a powerhouse but there pretty tough.

a few that I thought should
attitude of gratitud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #45
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhknives View Post
I've seen wrecked S10's Blazers and pickups for a few hundred with a good power train that includes the computer bs.
Or we got a running 302 with a c4 sitting down in our junk pit...

Only 6 cylinder i'd probably consider is the ford i6

Quote:
Gearing will get you more than a V8 swap and you'll break a lot less.
Break something on a dd? Gearing with 30" tires?

Quote:
To do it right you would need to spend more than you would buying one that's already built. Ask this question over on Pirate and check the responses.
Built not bought

-----

I'm not after info on which is easier and which is cheaper, i know this. I just don't know what issues i'll have when i swap out the engine. So i can consider the issues and possible solutions and costs of the solutions. I have a small junk yard to work with as well, we don't throw nothing away. So once again, i know what the path for the 22re rebuild is, but there is some fog on the engine swap road, i'm wanting that fog to be cleared up abit so i can make a more informed decision.

I'm pretty sure if i can get it mounted, then all i'd need is a conversion radiator, exhaust, and fuel should be fairly easy for a carb...which should come in at a grand or less...but i may be missing something...from what i've read the ford 302 will bolt up to stock motor mounts and not cause alot of fitment issues (originally i was thinking a chevy 350 as they are cheap to work on and buy)...

Thanks for your guy's input so far
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #46
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by attitude of gratitud View Post
Do a rebuild with a mild cam(RV style) and header. The 88 22re had different fuel injectors(impedance) and cold start injector time switch that never worked right. Ebay usually has some rebuilt infectors pretty cheap. Have you checked your shifter bushing? They wear out and cause the shifter to pop out under and off load. I too considered a v8 swap. But I decided to do a 5vz 3.4 swap instead. I put it in my 88 4runner and now it's in my 94 pickup. The 4runner required me to cut and move my motor mounts.I had to also relocate the exhaust to dump on the drivers side, get a v6 trans and adapter for my doubler. If you do go v8. Get a Ford. Not being biased, just the distributor is in the front. Makes for less firewall and hammer work. They 22re is and will never be a powerhouse but there pretty tough.

a few that I thought should
Thanks for the info...so could the cold star injector time switch be causing my starting issues (I have no idea what that is)?...it starts fine when its warm, but its a cold blooded beast.

No i haven't checked the bushing, i've been delaying dropping the tranny till i pulled the engine...is the bushing a common issue?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Built not bought

Thanks for your guy's input so far
If it's like anything else you've built...buy, buy, buy!!!.

Last edited by gdhknives; 06-26-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: corrections
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #48
Got Worms?

Quote:
If it's like anything else you've built...buy, buy, buy!!!.
Why do you have to talk about yourself like that gary?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why do you have to talk about yourself like that gary?
Austin, wow. That hurts so bad. I just feel crushed with your harsh words. If it wasn't your dad doing the building on the 1:1 I might be able to believe half the shit you put out. I find it amusing that you toss up a lot of bs on this forum and when you get called on it you start pouting. Now I will give you credit, you are smart as hell with electronics for the toys we have, but from what most of us that actually know you, that's it. Any other dumbass comments feel free to give me a call. I did start out by just giving my .02 but when you continually say ignorant statements based on Google, wikipedia, or your own appraisals, I will mess with you.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
we have an old bronco with a v8 that gets 16, and its carbed. drop a v8 in a truck that weighs nothing and it'll do the same or better.
I don't believe it... Is that something you looked up online or is that something you've done the calculations on and figured on your own?
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote

Toyota Engine options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you really should have a look at your engine... Micropuller Chit Chat 18 04-10-2012 03:29 AM
Engine trickedoutTLT06 Newbie General 11 07-13-2006 06:34 PM
Toyota engine question chimp Chit Chat 4 05-23-2006 07:34 PM