Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Toyota Engine options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Toyota Engine options

So, i have to either rebuild my 22re or try and swap something else in a stock 1990 toyota pickup...

So i've been looking and found a "rebuild kit" from engbldr (engine builder), from what i've read online its the best bang for the buck and his cams really give the 22re some pep. But the issues going against a rebuild right now is that my tranny needs work (first gear pops out when you let of accelerator), and the engine is actually out of a 88 4runner and its had starting and idleing issues since i got the thing, i'm told its because the sensors in the 88 don't match up to the 90 computer very well...

So i've been considering swapping in a small block v8 or possibly a v6 in it, but i've been told the ifs gets in the way and i'd have todo a solid axle swap, which i don't want todo right now.

So any insight on this would be great, as i can't make up my mind...i prefer a v8 in it, but the cost involved and the fitment issues has me thinking to just rebuild the 22re and roll with it till i get a new dd and turn the toy into a buggy
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Toyota Engine options

the 22RE is a great engine when it's stock, all of the 'go-fast' stuff only helps at high rpms, it doesn't do anything for low speed driving/off-roading. It sounds like your current engine doesn't have the correct sensors to make it run good so doing a rebuild isn't going to solve a thing, you'll just have a freshened up engine that still runs like poo because it doesn't have the sensors that match the ECU.

I'd suggest fix the sensor issue first so that the truck is running as good as it can, then take it from there.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree with Bigski. Get the engine you have running right first. Then if you want alot more powerget a differant engine. Personaly I would buy a JDM engine complete to drop in the truck.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Pull out all the electronic crap and swap with an SBC. Problem solved.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I agree with Bigski. Get the engine you have running right first. Then if you want alot more powerget a differant engine. Personaly I would buy a JDM engine complete to drop in the truck.
Just curious, why have an engine shipped from Japan?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Well, the issues may be the timing chain too, i noticed it starting to chatter the other day (at least it sounds like it the timing chain) so it needs replaced asap, from a quick look it seems i gotta get into the engine pretty deep to replace it, and if i do that i might as well yank the engine do a complete rebuild, its fairly cheap. while i'm at it i'll have a chance to go over/replace vaccum lines and figure out my sensor issue. I think i might just be able to go down to a junk yard and pick up a intake off a 90 22re. I just want to hit all the birds with one stone. But at the same time if i can get a bigger engine to fit might as well spend the cash for the extra ponies. I'm no engine junkie though, so i don't have aton of knowledge. So i don't know all issues the swap will give me.

Also the cam i mentioned is made to give it low end power. They have one made mostly for crawlers, aton of low end grunt, i'll probably get a mid range one where the extra pep kicks in about 2k.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Just curious, why have an engine shipped from Japan?
jdm website says they are in new jersey...
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well It depends on how much you wanna spend. I have done 2rz, 3rz, 4.3 and v8 swaps in toys and I can tell ya not one of them was cheap...

I even spent dumb $$ trying to get torque out of a 22re...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Well It depends on how much you wanna spend. I have done 2rz, 3rz, 4.3 and v8 swaps in toys and I can tell ya not one of them was cheap...

I even spent dumb $$ trying to get torque out of a 22re...
Insight on swaps with a ifs? And budgets.

My 22re rebuild budget is 500...a swap would be 1000, possibly more depending on my setup...lots of trucks around here so v8's are a dime dozen. My main concern is fitment issues. I'm not after aton of power though, the v8 would just be future planning for a buggy...i've got a 67 mustang that has more power than traction .
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have never had a fitment problem with any of the motors and did 2 4.3's with IFS--not a problem except oil pan clearance. Like I tell all the guys that I do swaps for--expect roughly $3000 for it..

But the 2rz/3rz's are the cheaper swaps depending on what you can get the motor for and they are impressive...

In my own rig I tossed the heavily built 22re for a stock 4.3 and been happy since and have the diffs to handle the abuse..
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Got Worms?

so aside from the cost of the engine, whats else is costing the extra cash? I can pick up a good running v8 and tranny for couple hundred bucks or rebuild one of the ones we got laying out in my parents junk pit...not alot of toyota engines though, and when i do see decent ones come up they're worth a small gold mine.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
so aside from the cost of the engine, whats else is costing the extra cash? I can pick up a good running v8 and tranny for couple hundred bucks or rebuild one of the ones we got laying out in my parents junk pit...not alot of toyota engines though, and when i do see decent ones come up they're worth a small gold mine.
Adapters, fuel, exhaust, wiring, mounts, cooling, ect. There is allot more associated with a swap than most really think about.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Got Worms?

I don't see how that adds up to a couple grand though. I'll be using a older engine without aton of electronic bs...i'm just looking at parts pricing, i'm not paying anyone todo the swap.

I wasn't figuring exhaust into the equation, i know i'll have an easy 500-750 wrapped up into it.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I Would Stay with the 22RE. Its a Great Engine which can Take Tons of abuse, so no Need To swap. Just get the rebuiltkit and throw in some Bigger valves, don't forget To change the camchainsliders To the Metal ones and Invest some bucks in a Porting the headchannels. My 22R with torquecams, oversizevalves and Porting is still Strong pushing 156 rwhp and this Little 4 banger is really light compared To a 6 or 8 bangerswap. If you want Real Big power, go with a 1 or 2 jzgte Engine ;)
LcEngineering could be another solution but u Need more $$$ compared To enbldr.
Some guys prefer Swaping a supercharged 3.4 from late tacos, but this will Need more $$$ too....

Last edited by Rockatanski; 06-22-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Rockatanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

2ZJ with NOS!

binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

The timing chain guides on the 22RE is the Achilles heel of that engine. There are metal backed versions online, and that is what I replaced mine with.

If you go with the engbldr builder kit, check the lobes of the cam very carefully. I went with that kit and sent the cam back...it had a very bad grind job on all of the lobes. I went with a Competition Cam from the local shop with the same specs. Low end power is ok, but you will need more than just a cam to see any real gains.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The timing chain guides on the 22RE is the Achilles heel of that engine. There are metal backed versions online, and that is what I replaced mine with.

If you go with the engbldr builder kit, check the lobes of the cam very carefully. I went with that kit and sent the cam back...it had a very bad grind job on all of the lobes. I went with a Competition Cam from the local shop with the same specs. Low end power is ok, but you will need more than just a cam to see any real gains.
Yea, the engbldr kit has the metal guides...I'm just after a touch more low end so when i load a atv or bike in the bed it isn't such turd climbing up the mountain.

Whats the difference between a good and bad grind job on a cam?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I have a complete 22r/22re rebuild kit in my garage. Cam, lifters, rings, pistons, gaskets, valve guides......all of it. I have a bad 22r in one of my trucks and turns out it has two big ass cracks in the side off the block Needless to say, I wont be rebuilding it...

Side note. I have an 84 4runner with a built 350 in it. LOVE IT! The power is crazy in these things. I think a stock 350 would be power enough for em. I got 35's w/ 4.10 gearing, and I am sure it will push 40's without haveing to re-gear.

Last edited by ScaleReady; 06-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Yea, the engbldr kit has the metal guides...I'm just after a touch more low end so when i load a atv or bike in the bed it isn't such turd climbing up the mountain.

Whats the difference between a good and bad grind job on a cam?
He must have started including them. Mine came with the plastic guides, so I had to buy the metal version separate.

My cam had very bad chatter marks on the lobes. Hard to describe, but you'll spot it in a minute if you get a bad one. He was really cool about it though, and refunded the money. The rest of the kit was great...nothing missing, which sad to say these days is a good thing.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
MODERHATER™

My experience with most Toyota engines. They run like shit forever. All the fuel economy of a v8 with half the power. Once the straight 6 dies in my Fj 60 I'm getting a 350, 5.3, or a 6.0.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Toyota Engine options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you really should have a look at your engine... Micropuller Chit Chat 18 04-10-2012 03:29 AM
Engine trickedoutTLT06 Newbie General 11 07-13-2006 06:34 PM
Toyota engine question chimp Chit Chat 4 05-23-2006 07:34 PM