Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default re: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

its ok, but...

i would try to look for something with lower miles though, simply because the engine may run fin for 300,000 miles but the axles may need bearings, it might need u joints, it will most likely need a complete brake overhaul.

keep checking around, one WILL pop up for you. the longer you wait the more money you can save up.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #62
RCC Addict

thats why I'm hoping the buy back will be super cheap, because the thunderbird is my only car so if i want the most money to get a jeep i would need to completely total it. but then i have no car.....................
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

what are you getting for the 1994 shitbeater ?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
what are you getting for the 1994 shitbeater ?
Don't know but for the condition and mileage, and looking at similar ones in auto trader, I should get back somewhere around 2700 to 3000

How are lerados?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #65
RCC Addict

There must be $2500 of cocaine in the trunk.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
There must be $2500 of cocaine in the trunk.
????
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
8. NP231
better aftermarket support and it was known to be the stronger of the factory offered cases. a close second would be the NP242 only because it's versatility for the street when using in wet, snowy or icy conditions. downfall of the NP242 was the shortcoming of aftermarket support. if you plan on building something and lifting it go for the NP231 simply because there are cheaper options available to do a slip yoke eliminator.
hate to ask again but how close is the 242 to the 231? Like if the 231 was a 10/10 what would the 242 be? Reason for asking is I've seen and found a lot more of these with the 2wd to 4wd than 4wd all the time.if I did get one with a 242 would I still be able to get a cable posi lock?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

I'll throw in my $.02 since I've owned a few Jeeps as well as worked on and wheeled with 100's of them.

Grand Cherokees are great street queens but take tons of work to make offroad capable compared to XJ's. Electrical problems plauge them and are a nightmare to fix. They're higher value isn't worth it to me So I would stay away from them.

XJ's just like everyone says are a dime a dozen. Stay away from the older ones with the 2.8 and stick with the 4.0. Watch for cracks in the exhaust manifold on the 4.o's too, cheap fix but might as well find one already done. THESE THINGS ARE CHEAP. Both to buy and build and are very offroad capable. Their offroad issues are only with the unibody, flexing on the rocks has a tendency to remove the possibility of opening doors LOL. I think the XJ is the best of both worlds, nice on the street and descent offroad.

Wranglers/CJ's....Hated my CJ7 low power for a V8 and horrible on the street, pass on these and let the collectors build em. YJ's are descent but leaf sprung on all corners... Stay away from the 4 bangers they are gutless. TJ is in my opinion the best jeep ever released, descent 6 cylinder engine, leafs all around and a few creature comforts in the cab plus you can pick them up cheap, I just found one for my buddy for $4k lifted with 35's, custom bumpers, and 90k on the ticker Aftermarket support for these is insane too! I don't know much about the current wranglers but a girl I'm dating has one so I'm learning. I will say the current motor is anemic and a lift to accomodate 35's on the street is under $500. She has never had a vehicle over 50K and her 08 has 55K I may buy it for my 13 yo daughter and start building

Happy hunting have fun with it
WICKEDWOLFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
so it looks like they wont fix it so im posting here again for feedback on jeeps. found this:
95 Jeep Grand Cherokee
miles are fairly high, would it still be fine or should i look for around 100k miles range?

or this?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

hows laredos? are they something to stay away from?
How many times is the insurance company going to change their minds?

Either t-case is good, I'd personally think that the command trac system would be a benefit in the PNW during the rainy winters, it would basically let you drive around in 4wd on the street and not hurt the t-case. When you hit drive ground just shift it back into 2wd.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so it looks like they wont fix it so im posting here again for feedback on jeeps. found this:
95 Jeep Grand Cherokee
miles are fairly high, would it still be fine or should i look for around 100k miles range?

or this?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

hows laredos? are they something to stay away from?
Notice the second Jeep ( the white one) is a V8? You have to check, but there's a great chance that it also has Quadra-trac,which is a full time 4wd system. Avoid it like a STD. Full time 4wd + a V8 = horrific gas mileage. (10-12 would be the average)

The first Jeep, it looks nice and stock but at 230K, there isn't much life left in the drive train, especially the transmission.

I'd suggest to keep looking.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #71
RCC Addict

This? http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3238794662.html

This one seems sketchy with the whole only they can drive it on the road?
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3302711350.html
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This? http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3238794662.html

Two door... Cool !
Two wheel drive, WTF !?!?!

You could swap it over, but it's a little work. For the money you can find a better rig.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:

What about this one? The pic shows a straight six, only 145k fairly cheap also, will check it out tomorrow, what exactly should I look for on big points to know if it's the right one or prices great or won't break down the moment I point at it lol
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I still think there is something better for you out there. What is your mechanical ability ? That would determine what you are willing to deal with for issues.

Three major things to look for...
Rotted floors
Death wobble
Major oil leaks, or a freshly pressure washed engine.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #75
RCC Addict

mechanical abilities are high, I can tear it down and build it back up. pretty great at welding(oxy, mig, tig, ark) not to shabby at fabricating either. got a bunch of tools from when my dad passed so i know i can build and fix. what do you mean by death wobble? i've always check to make sure it doesnt pull to the right or left when i let go of the steering wheel.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Death wobble is a phenom that Jeeps in general suffer from. It comes from having loose, worn, or otherwise played out steering and/or suspension parts. Although usually it's an easy fix, sometimes it can run into a costly event trying to isolate the issue.

Check the you tubes for a vid.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Two door... Cool !
Two wheel drive, WTF !?!?! .
I'm checking this one out, if it somehow has a broken transfer case I won't look back. But I'm going to check and see if it doesn't, the guy says the A/C and heater switch don't work? Is that an easy fix for jeeps?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm checking this one out, if it somehow has a broken transfer case I won't look back. But I'm going to check and see if it doesn't, the guy says the A/C and heater switch don't work? Is that an easy fix for jeeps?
I'm thinking 2wd as in, it doesn't have a front drive axle. I've been looking for a 2dr XJ around my area, 80% of the ones I see are 2wd, 4cyl models, they get used like small delivery vehicles but oddly enough, they have the Dana 44 rear axles and 4.10 gears.

That ZJ w/ the flaky white paint, the one where they have to drive it- did you notice the $1500 stickers on the windshield? 99% chance it's at some low life wholesale car lot. ( the kind where you buy here/pay here) Don't even waste your gas going to look at it.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'm thinking 2wd as in, it doesn't have a front drive axle. I've been looking for a 2dr XJ around my area, 80% of the ones I see are 2wd, 4cyl models, they get used like small delivery vehicles but oddly enough, they have the Dana 44 rear axles and 4.10 gears.

That ZJ w/ the flaky white paint, the one where they have to drive it- did you notice the $1500 stickers on the windshield? 99% chance it's at some low life wholesale car lot. ( the kind where you buy here/pay here) Don't even waste your gas going to look at it.
ya it truly is 2wd, i saw the inside and the area where the transfer case lever is is basically a change holder.
and ya its a m&m towing/auto sales place, the car has a clean title but they bought it from a police impound? its got the 231 case with 4wd all the time. the engine are seemed funny, like the whole engine bay was all covered in a thin thin layer of what i could only describe as soot? i could only think maybe there was a pin hole somewhere that oil goes through and literally misted the oil out possibly? it drove good, no wobble that i could tell or turning when i let go of the wheel

what speed should i be at to see if there is a death wobble? i was only going about 35-40 max

how about this? http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3294507434.html

or this? i know its not a 93 and up though, http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3293901730.html

seems good but how much does it cost to fix a bearing? http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3289633647.html

looks good but its a 90 http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3220882346.html

Last edited by demonoid369; 09-30-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

I'm not going through every ad that you link up, but I did look at the '99 GC. A 'spun bearing' means the engine is wasted, it has spun a main bearing on the crankshaft. Keep looking....

You have been getting a lot of replies from guys w/ lots of personal experience, use their advice. The common factor that everyone has told you is- don't buy anything that has been lifted or modified or 'needs some work', you will just be getting someone else's headaches. This includes ANYTHING on a used car lot. buy a car from someone that has owned the vehicles for a few years, they can tell you what the true issues are w/ a potential car.

I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lol demonoid369 Chit Chat 5 04-06-2011 07:46 AM
Wheel Chinamans..lol had Carnage..lol UPNOVER General Crawlers 0 02-27-2006 08:03 AM