Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default re: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

trust me im using your guy advice, and i apologize for asking so much, since i wanted a jeep and have made my final decision that my next car is a jeep, my moms bf wont help me now to look over any jeep to make sure its in fairly good to good condition. he thinks i should keep the thunderbird, so im kinda force to find out and figure out everything about jeeps and what small and big things to look for when purchasing by myself.....
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Well in a way he might be right. If the insurance company ropes you into totaling your ride, buy it back and keep the loot in the back for a rainy day when the perfect Jeep for you comes along.
Jeeps can go from personal vehicle to money pit hobby in as matter of weeks.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #83
RCC Addict

If you can, try and find a XJ with an Up Country upgrade. This is the off road package from jeep offered as an optional upgrade. It consists of bilstien shocks with an 1 inch suspension lift, limited slip rear diff (locks when it's in a bind, but otherwise open), tow package with a tranny cooler, and skid plates. This is what I purchased a state over, because I was looking for that exact package. I bought mine with 30 x 9.5 x 15 BF Goodrich all terrains, and it is super capable of light off road. I took mine out this past weekend on some of Vermont's finest Class 4 roads. Pic may not look aggressive, but there were parts of these trails that my tires were stuffed and rubbing. I plan on doing a 2 inch budget boost lift, and removing my wheel fenders. I will stick to light to mild off roading, because come Mondays, I have to drop the kid off at daycare...

Last edited by tedo; 09-30-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot skid plates
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
Well in a way he might be right. If the insurance company ropes you into totaling your ride, buy it back and keep the loot in the back for a rainy day when the perfect Jeep for you comes along.
Jeeps can go from personal vehicle to money pit hobby in as matter of weeks.
thats what i was thinking to but come to find out, my passenger window is not working now(accident possibly) the throttle control is going out i believe because i have to push the gas pedal all the way down now to get going from a dead stop, and the o/d on the transmission is out so its constantly up shifting in to 4th when im driving around the city which the book even says isn't good for the tranny and can destroy it if not fixed. so thats two major problem and one small one. automatic transmissions are'nt cheap to fix and so i've been wondering if it is better to buy back and run it till i can find a good jeep or just buy one now.

but i did find a jeep today, its a 94 or 95 jeep grand cherokee lerado with a straight 6 and either 124 or 142 thousand miles with the 2wd hi and 4wd hi and low. asking 2300 firm but has no spare tire, no stereo, handle to pull to open the hood is broken so its a small rod you have to pull and the tires are 50% tread. does this sound worth it? ive been conteplating since it does have the 2wd option which most likely fits me for my daily driver rig
as far as testing it, it didnt have death wobble as far as i could tell but i never went past 35-40mph though and when i let go of the steering wheel it never pulled to the right or left

Last edited by demonoid369; 09-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

That 89 looks nice and clean. Just check for rust issues on the floor boards and back by the rear leafs.

Stay away from that lifted on... who knows what has been done to it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
but i did find a jeep today, its a 94 or 95 jeep grand cherokee lerado with a straight 6 and either 124 or 142 thousand miles with the 2wd hi and 4wd hi and low. asking 2300 firm but has no spare tire, no stereo, handle to pull to open the hood is broken so its a small rod you have to pull and the tires are 50% tread. does this sound worth it? ive been conteplating since it does have the 2wd option which most likely fits me for my daily driver rig
as far as testing it, it didnt have death wobble as far as i could tell but i never went past 35-40mph though and when i let go of the steering wheel it never pulled to the right or left
Death wobble usually starts when you hit a pot hole while driving around 30-40 mph. My XJ did it, I had to replace the track bar and the outer tie rods, it had 235-75-15 tires on it. The wobble gets worse when taller/wider tires are used.

On the ZJ you asked about, $2300 sounds a bit high especially when you consider that some small basic things are broken and not repaired. You have to wonder what big items have been neglected.

I'd suggest that when ever you test drive a vehicle, be sure to get it up to interstate speeds for at least a few minutes. If the owner won't let you take it on the highway/interstate, just walk away and keep looking. I know it's easy on my end to say "keep looking", but if you get desperate and buy something just to get mobile again you will probably end up getting a bad car.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #87
RCC Addict

how easy is it to add or cost wise to switch out a transfer case? like switching a 231 out for a 242? reason being is there is a lot of cherokees out there that are 4wd all the time, and for my situation, it would be better to have 2wd and have 4wd when needed. is it as simple as swapping it out?

also ive been told you can put the transfer case in neutral and put the tranny in drive and can drive like that? sounds wrong to me but you guys know more than me lol

Last edited by demonoid369; 10-02-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

the np242 is considered a fulltime 4wd t-case because it has a dfferential. This does NOT mean that it is an awd unit. They have 2wd, 4wd (full time) and 4lo.
They are slightly weaker than a 231 because of the differential.

I swapped a 242 for a 231 in my old xj. Its been yrs but I believe it was 10 bolts and 2 u-joints. Real easy with simple tools.

If I was doing it again, I would swap in a dana 20 or dana 300 instead (requires more work and expense though.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Any t-case that is put into neutral is just like putting a transmission in neutral, you will not have any power going to the driveshaft.

Over the summer I was looking at a '98 GC that had the 5.9 V8 and quadratrac ( full time 4 wheel drive) so I went searching for info on swapping the t-cases. I came up with the same info that jetboat posted, it was basically a bolt-on operation. The issue that stopped me from buying that GC was that the front axle was completely worn out and needed a full rebuild from being in 4wd all of the time.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Over the summer I was looking at a '98 GC that had the 5.9 V8 and quadratrac ( full time 4 wheel drive) so I went searching for info on swapping the t-cases. I came up with the same info that jetboat posted, it was basically a bolt-on operation. The issue that stopped me from buying that GC was that the front axle was completely worn out and needed a full rebuild from being in 4wd all of the time.
and thats one other reason i want to get the 2wd system, it seems like it would hopefully put less wear and tear on the drive train.

reading back through this thread, it seems there are other t cases also, what does a 241 do? i know the top two which im looking for are the 242 and 231 but just like to know the others so i can avoid them.

now i've gone and confused myself, I thought the 231 only had 4wd? no 2wd and the 242 did?
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

Last edited by demonoid369; 10-02-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

I honestly can't keep the t-case numbers and their tech specs in my head, I have to look them up each time. I don't mind sharing opinions but please do some of the searching on your own, the info is out there in a simple Google search, which will point you to a dedicated Jeep forum 95% of the time.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #92
RCC Addict

thats what i'm doing, but i cant find a pic of the lever shift area to see if the 231 shows 2wd or not.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Try this site.

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #94
RCC Addict

just for clarification since pics are about the only thing i understand well lol
transfer case with 4wd hi and 4wd lo only is not the 231? like the picture shows.
so if i see jeeps with only 4hi and 4lo i should stay away from those and look for one that has 2wd and 4wd right?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #95

sweet rides bro
emaxxjohn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #96

i like that red 1
emaxxjohn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
just for clarification since pics are about the only thing i understand well lol
transfer case with 4wd hi and 4wd lo only is not the 231? like the picture shows.
so if i see jeeps with only 4hi and 4lo i should stay away from those and look for one that has 2wd and 4wd right?

you're wearing me out....

The t-case in the pic is Quadra Trac, it is full time 4wd, it has no 2wd position. I don't remember what the model number is, but it ISN'T a 231 or 242. You will only find these in Grand Cherokees usually with a V8 engine.

The 231 has 2wd, 4wd high, neutral and 4wd low. This t-case is made for 4wd use off road only, not on dry pavement. The 242 has all of these positions PLUS a 4wd position that can be used on dry pavement. ( I think it says 4wd part time) The 242 is a little weaker than the 231 because it uses a small differential inside of it for 4wd use on dry pavement. The 231 is the super reliable, "traditional" transfer case that the majority of the XJ's came with. If you look at the ZJ ( grand cherokee) you start finding a bit of everything.

Last edited by BigSki; 10-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #98
RCC Addict

sorry about that lol i found out there is a off road performance shop here in salem so i was able to swing by and talk more in depth and pic showing to where i can understand now a lot better
so run down from what ive read here and what the shop told me(correct me if im wrong)
231: 2hi, 4hi, 4lo
242: 2hi, 4hi part, 4hi full, 4lo
most v8 had the quadra trac, no good.
quadra trac in general is no good lol
no need for posilok cables, that was for earlier than 93' models
92' and less had renix, good but a pain in the ass to fix if something is wrong
cherokee with towing package might have a 8.25 rear axle? (8.25 has square lip that protrudes under the diff cover)
dana 35's suck?
5.2l v8 is actually kinda reliable?(shop guy said this)
cheaper to lift a cherokee than a grand?
35' tires and larger need regearing.

how is this? i know its got high miles but it seems like maybe it hasnt been wheeled and maybe used gently http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3303970132.html

Last edited by demonoid369; 10-02-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Thats a nice clean xj... must be nice not living in the salt belt.

I never had an issue pre 93. You cant plug a pc in and diagnose them but the 4.0 is pretty easy without it.

Dana 35's are a step above junk and the 8.25 is a step above that. A Ford 8.8 is dirt cheap and real easy to install and you get disc brakes.

As for lift cost, if you do it right and avoid blocks and spacers, they all cost about the same. That is until you get into big lifts and long arm kits.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

The jeep in the link looks good, go have a look at it. I'd ask what the owner what he towed with it, it has a big hitch on the back. This is the kind of vehicle that you want to look at, it's tagged and being driven and the owner is available to answer questions. If you like it, ask the 4wd shop how much they'd charge to give it a good look over.

I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lol demonoid369 Chit Chat 5 04-06-2011 07:46 AM
Wheel Chinamans..lol had Carnage..lol UPNOVER General Crawlers 0 02-27-2006 08:03 AM