Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

So I'm planning on either buying a honda or jeep because both have a good amount of aftermarket and stock part availability, both can have manuals, which means easier fixing than automatics. And Hondas are almost the same all around from hatchbacks to coupes. But then there are jeeps which I only know a little about. So the question I ask is what jeeps have a inline 6, manual transmission, and doesn't have the vacuum awd(vacuum ones suck?) looking for hopefully late 80's to early 2000's but I know most cheap will be in the 90's

Last edited by demonoid369; 10-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #2

Default re: I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol

Don't let the Jeeps with the vacuum 4WD scare you away. That entire system is VERY easily swapped with an aftermarket POSI-LOC cable system for under $200.00 no matter where you buy it from.

4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Jeeps

I have used it on every YJ I ever owned and it never failed me.
It is literally a 30 minute installation.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Ahhhhh so now I just need to know which jeeps have in Line 6's and manual transmissions, or is there more I need to know? I've heard a little about 4.0l engines?
How strong is the cable system?

Edit: how does the cable system work? Ive been told the non vacuum systems you have to put in neutral then reverse to engage. Is it something similar or just push the button and go?

Last edited by demonoid369; 09-16-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #4

No need for neutral, but you want to be at a complete stop when you engage it.

How strong? If you ever break it, let me know because you will be the first I have ever heard of to EVER break one. The cable in it is heavy enough to tow a full sized vehicle.

It works by removing the old weak housing and fork from the axle and mounting the new solid selector fork and heavy cast aluminum housing with cable. The most custom work you will need to do is drill a hole in the dash to mount the cable, or use a couple little self tapping screws included to mount the under dash mount for the cable. I always just drill the dash and mount it solid.

Just come to a complete stop, pull the cable and your axle is positively locked.

Engaging your transfer case to 4WD is also needed if it isn't a full time 4WD.
That you can engage on slow roll or a complete stop unless you want to engage 4WD LOW, and that should be done at a stop and in neutral.

Inline 6 you can find as an option in almost any Jeep built I do believe. Same with standard shift. 4.0 HO is a good option but not something to die for.
I would however highly steer you away from the carbureted versions. Do all you can to find a fuel injected inline six.... Especially if you plan to get the thing off road at all. The carbs had enough problems, and they sure don't like going uphills
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
No need for neutral, but you want to be at a complete stop when you engage it.

How strong? If you ever break it, let me know because you will be the first I have ever heard of to EVER break one. The cable in it is heavy enough to tow a full sized vehicle.

It works by removing the old weak housing and fork from the axle and mounting the new solid selector fork and heavy cast aluminum housing with cable. The most custom work you will need to do is drill a hole in the dash to mount the cable, or use a couple little self tapping screws included to mount the under dash mount for the cable. I always just drill the dash and mount it solid.

Just come to a complete stop, pull the cable and your axle is positively locked.

Engaging your transfer case to 4WD is also needed if it isn't a full time 4WD.
That you can engage on slow roll or a complete stop unless you want to engage 4WD LOW, and that should be done at a stop and in neutral.

Inline 6 you can find as an option in almost any Jeep built I do believe. Same with standard shift. 4.0 HO is a good option but not something to die for.
I would however highly steer you away from the carbureted versions. Do all you can to find a fuel injected inline six.... Especially if you plan to get the thing off road at all. The carbs had enough problems, and they sure don't like going uphills
Oh jeez, there was more to this jeep thing than I thought lol so are the jeeps AWD or 4WD? And I know of 4wd hi and low. So does the cable allow between the two or is that the transfer case?

This is why I hate 10 hour shifts, my brain isn't functioning correctly and remembering what does what. Is the cable loc a part of the transfer case or not? If the transfer case is what makes 2wd and 4wd then the cable is apart of it right?

On to the other matter, the reason for in line 6 is because of durability, I know those things can go forever because my mom had a cherokee and sold it at 240,000 miles and the new owner lives in the same town and it's over 300,000 miles now.

Last edited by demonoid369; 09-16-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #6

Here is a pic of my 89 YJ
Fuel injected 4.0l H.O., 727 torque-flight auto trans.
Sits on 36's in the pic. I had 39.5 swampers for it, but they rubbed like a sumbitch
Little too doggy with the big swampers. Needs lower gears if I want to use the big-uns on it.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Stay away from the square headlights. We all know Real Jeeps Have Round Headlights

Yes my 5 minutes of fame when I made into JP MAGAZINE (actually the pic ran 3 separate issues)

Last edited by vltchkr; 09-16-2012 at 03:09 AM.
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Oh jeez, there was more to this jeep thing than I thought lol so are the jeeps AWD or 4WD? And I know of 4wd hi and low. So does the cable allow between the two or is that the transfer case?
Cable only positively engages your axle.
Eliminates the weak link of the old vacuum system on the axle.
The old style forks were weak and broke easily under strain and when vacuum fluctuated from engine power, the axle tended to disengage when you least wanted it to

Hi-Lo is strictly your transfer case on any vehicle, Jeep or any other make.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Ya those or the cherokee are the type I'm looking for. Is the 4.0 better than the in line? Or about the same?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltchkr View Post
Stay away from the square headlights. We all know Real Jeeps Have Round Headlights
Meh.... Any JEEP is only as good as your pockets are deep.

Square headlights, round, 7 slots, 5 slots... It's all the same disease.

Just remember.....
J. E. E. P.

J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Old 09-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Ya those or the cherokee are the type I'm looking for. Is the 4.0 better than the in line? Or about the same?
4.0 is the straight six
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Cable only positively engages your axle.
Eliminates the weak link of the old vacuum system on the axle.
The old style forks were weak and broke easily under strain and when vacuum fluctuated from engine power, the axle tended to disengage when you least wanted it to

Hi-Lo is strictly your transfer case on any vehicle, Jeep or any other make.
Alright so transfer case is hi low, and cable just locks the axles so it basically has a locker in them instead of differentials?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
4.0 is the straight six
That's where I got confused lol I thought the 4.0 was the V8.......... Lol
Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #14

Quote:
that's where i got confused lol i thought the 4.0 was the v8.......... Lol
5.2 v8 318
5.9 v8 360
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Go easy on me guys lol I'm use to trucks and geo metros with locking hubs which didn't need transfer cases or any if that, just turn the hub and then you'd have 4x4 or 4wd
Old 09-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Alright so transfer case is hi low, and cable just locks the axles so it basically has a locker in them instead of differentials?
No... The POSI-LOC only positively engages the 4WD drive in the axle, it doesn't turn the spool into a locker. However, if you do have a locker in the axle and pull the POSI-LOC it will free spool your passengers axle for you.

If you are familiar 4WD vehicles when you get out and turn the manual locking hubs on the wheel to engage 4WD ability of the axle..... Pulling the cable is pretty much doing the same thing from the center of the axle instead of engaging at the hubs. And no getting out and reaching down in to knee deep mud to turn hubs!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

In the pick I posted, you will see a white CJ in the back round. That was my wifes Jeep. And it had the 4.2L and they were junk. We swapped out the tired 258 with a 4.0 out of a 97 TJ.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltchkr View Post
In the pick I posted, you will see a white CJ in the back round. That was my wifes Jeep. And it had the 4.2L and they were junk. We swapped out the tired 258 with a 4.0 out of a 97 TJ.
I will agree 100% there..., they surely missed the mark with the 4.2
Still savable with a new intake and cam change, but overall a good one to stay away from if at all possible.

Looks like you rattled your teeth a little on the landing.
Any pics of it landing?
Break anything?

Edit: it's a JEEP... What broke when landing?.....
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
No... The POSI-LOC only positively engages the 4WD drive in the axle, it doesn't turn the spool into a locker. However, if you do have a locker in the axle and pull the POSI-LOC it will free spool your passengers axle for you.

If you are familiar 4WD vehicles when you get out and turn the manual locking hubs on the wheel to engage 4WD ability of the axle..... Pulling the cable is pretty much doing the same thing from the center of the axle instead of engaging at the hubs. And no getting out and reaching down in to knee deep mud to turn hubs!
Ah ha got it now lol and what I had meant was the differentials in the axle lock up ish like a locker when the cable is pulled. Just differently worded lol so transfer case is hi low and the cable acts like locking hubs, that made it more clear for me. Like I said, I'm use to the older trucks and my moms bf geo that ran locking hubs, needed 4wd? Get out, turn the hubs and you'd have 4wd lol
Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I will agree 100% there..., they surely missed the mark with the 4.2
Still savable with a new intake and cam change, but overall a good one to stay away from if at all possible.

Looks like you rattled your teeth a little on the landing.
Any pics of it landing?
Break anything?

Edit: it's a JEEP... What broke when landing?.....
That was actually my second time jumping. Buddy taking the pick missed the first jump. First jump was 2nd gear 4hi. Second time was 3rd gear shifting into 4th. Yes a little bit to fast. But nothing broke Well almost nothing... I didn't have a tcase relocater in it yet and I bent the stock mounts. But my motto was " If your not breaking Shit, then your not doing it right"

I got a 97' cherokee, now what lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lol demonoid369 Chit Chat 5 04-06-2011 07:46 AM
Wheel Chinamans..lol had Carnage..lol UPNOVER General Crawlers 0 02-27-2006 08:03 AM