Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Another Rig in the Crashfab shop......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another Rig in the Crashfab shop......

I had multiple areas to fix in here..

But all the repair work under the dash is now fixed up..

A simple way to bypass both the clutch start switch (in the dash) and the pedal switch is pull the connector out of the clutch start switch and connect the Black/Red and Black/Yellow wires..

And here is what I pulled out of the Cab.

So with that done I can go back to getting the graphing of the 4.3 wiring to the toy/adding needed fused circuits..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

So I finally found where I want the new fuse block and relays to go and a good spot that can be accessed(fuses) and not be kicked.

I ended up making a bracket that bolts to 2 studs that are there for if the rig had AC and then the relays bolt to that. The fuse block will bolt to the heater system on the part that goes between the blower and heater core cases..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

So Chris dropped off a battery so why not get the cables done up.. I won't do the cable down to the starter till we get the header problem resolved.

But both main power and grounds are done.. You can see how I like to have all the grounds connected at the same points...

I don't know how long its been but there are electrons flowing thru the rig and I can do a couple circuit checks and then carry on with getting the relays and fuse block done up..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I got some prep work done. So as I stated earlier I was going to use the 2 connectors that go from the body harness to the old engine harness..

So I got all circuits marked and pulled all un-used wires removed.

C1 is the grey connector.
Circuits that will be used.

Black/Red wire--Ignition feed (comes directly from the ignition switch)and will be using it for all the engine feeds.
Purple--SES lamp feed. This GM VCM controls the lamp the same way toyota does in it just toggles the ground for the lamp.
Black/Green wire--Battery feed. This feed comes from the EFI fuse so its a fully fused circuit. Will be using it for the VCM B+ feed and diagnostic port

C2 is the white connector
Circuits that will be used.

Yellow/Blue--Oil pressure sensor
Yellow/Green--Temp sensor
Blue--Tach. I will see if I have to do a modification at the tach to make it correct once its up and running.
Green/Red--Speed sensor
Green/Blue--Speed sensor
Black/Orange--Speed sensor

I am going to pull the 3 speed sensor wires from the connector and go to the other side of the connector and tie into the circuit there. Since on the OEM harness those wires went down the back of the motor I am going to run new circuits down the body harness where it drops thru the cab to the frame.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

So I decided to go ahead and pull the blower box assembly to give me all the room needed to run the wiring. Before I pulled it I though something was wrong with the fresh air door--didn't want to move. Well I found out why--its packed FULL,lol..

So now plenty of room to work...

Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

So I have been trucking along in the dash and just slow going but I finally got a good dent done........

So I decided to pigtail off the bottom of the C2 connector for the speed sensor and retained the short stubs of wire and gm wiring for now. I recall doing something simular a few years back using the toy speed signal to a gm ecm just to get a speed signal. Granted the toy is 4 pulse's and the gm I wanna say is 40 per revolution..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

So the harness simply follows the stock harness up/over the blower case.

Fuse block done and mounted and the DLC is mounted perfectly for access with the glove box on. I ran outa fuses so I just threw 10's in there for now. I have to restock a bunch of my inventory so they will get different amp fuses when done.

And both relays done.

So the dash wiring is pretty close to done. I hooked the battery to check what I could and I get a 2 second prime for the fuel pump and ses lamp works so thats a good sign. I also quickly jumped the fan control wire at the motor and the fan operates..

Next step is to finish running the speed sensor wiring down and out the cab.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

So I got the speedo wiring ran down the plastic case along the rocker and out thru the floor.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

So next I decided to go ahead and concentrate on the rear of the rig and try to get most of it done since thats where most of the metal work is left..

Started by pulling that damn height perportioning valve and line thats tied into the front circuit out.

So the rear axle is way too forward. So I yanked that out to redo the spring/shackle mounts.

Another plus with removing the rear axle is getting the fuel tank issue fixed. The original intention was to run a fuel cell but it really wasn't the best choice for this setup. So me and chris discussed it and came to the conclusion to just put a stock tank back in. Unfortunately they had cut the back mount off but I can rebuild it.

I also got a part of the rear harness changed and mounted.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

So I got the cross bar cleaned of the old left over mount.

So I went ahead and simply duplicated the stock mount.

Test fitted the tank (gotta pull it back out to get the springs done) and it fits perfect..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Pulled the fuel pump assembly out.

Pulled the pump and modified it..

Now to get the spring issue finished up but first I gotta fix this problem on both sides of the frame so I have someplace to put the shackle mount..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

So I really had a chance to look over the frame ends and boy they were a mess.

I finally came up with a plan and started chopping. I finally got them all trimmed up and prepped.. I ended up removing the vertical portion of the frame due to it being bent in a u at the bottom and I wanted to go ahead and run it to the end of the frame.

And here is the end result.

I ended up using 1/4" material mainly due to the gaps. Had they not had been cut as they were I would have used 3/16 or even 1/8" material.

I also found that both frame ends had a funny twist to them right at the rear cross member so if you look from behind you could easily see it and thats after I did some work to get them straight.

They turned out all right but I with I could have seen the twist in them before so I could have tried to take it out.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Next--these gotta go...

What a pain in the ---you know what..... But I finally got them both removed and the frame rails prepped..

So next its time to get the back sitting under its own weight again..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

So I got up early and started getting the rear all jigged up. I went and double checked my measurements on the bed again and got the rear axle just where I wanted it..

Got the hangers buzzed in and all painted and the springs thrown in.

I gotta build shackles for it next as soon as I get more material...

I got the tank mount painted and brake line bent into place. So the tank is finally in for good and I started making the pump mount.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I got the fuel pump mount made and I have used this design on past rigs with great success...

Almost got the E-brake cable mount made and I can start mounting stuff on the frame rail/running fuel line.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

So for some reason I thought the thickness of the e-brake cable mount was 1/8". Well with 1/8" thick you can't get the retaining clip on and I needed to build a new one.

So I have no fancy milling machine nor access to one so I used a trick I have in the past but never with steel but it worked out.

I take a flat rasp (gotta be nice and sharp) and set my depth on my drill press. Now this will only with on one thats got large bearings in the head or you will end up with allot of deflection and you will whipe the head out pretty quick.

Thickness of a part of the 1/8" mount.

And what I was able to mill it down to in the area where the clip will sit.

I could have taken more off but if you flatten the clip a hare then it will slip right in and still have enough tension to keep it in place (at least it feels like it).

So I made the rest of the mount and welded it up.

So now its ready to be burned to the frame.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

So I had chris order one of these from marlin. Since he went with a gear t-case and this uses a electronic speed system we needed something and Marlin had just what was needed..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

So I got the e-brake mount welded on and the frame painted. It turned out perfect..

I got the fuel pump in place and wired. I still have one more piece to finish and the pump can be clamped into place. I also used a generic metal fuel filter for the pre-filter. Its perfect at it slides half way over the fuel pump inlet(overlap) and makes it so it doesn't need a mount and very stable. I am still going with a gm fuel filter inline between the pump and motor.

Speed sensor wired up.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I got the fuel pump all finished up and the pump fully mounted. I used a portion of the tube I cut for the top portion to keep it fully sandwiched in place.

So time to dig this out and have some real fun...

Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

So here is the method I use for bending my fuel/brake lines--I treat it very much like bending tube for cages/such.

Its all based off measuring and fitment checking.

*note to self---never start bending early in the am till I have had my cup of java--I always seem to get a bend backwards,lol...

Make sure to get a couple good flat measuring tools as that helps a ton for building the line on a counter top....

Another Rig in the Crashfab shop...... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Speed's new shop rig 4stAir Axial AX-10 Scorpion 59 02-04-2008 08:12 PM
New rig in the shop. Reflection Kyosho Crawlers 21 10-09-2006 07:18 PM