Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Another Rig in the Crashfab shop......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another Rig in the Crashfab shop......

Well its been a slow week due to getting my dodge put back together and getting my boys 4 runner fixed up but I managed to get some done. So the rear is all welded up and painted and now sitting on its own weight once again. I also got the wiring mostly done/roughed in for when the bed goes back on. Chris still needs to locate the tail lamp harness pieces and that will be all taken care of once we get to that point(soon)..

Chris also had one of those trailer 4 way flat converters on it and just in case he decides to add one in again I went and wired in taps for him to almost plug play.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Ok here is the flange gaskets that I like to use. The ones on my own rig are about 4 years old, been removed a few times/re-used and never leaked.

For some reason the metric tube nuts to fit the gm stuff (16mmx1.5mm & 14mmx1.5mm) were hard to find on the net so luckily I have a good parts store that always seems to find what I need (smart guys behind the counter).

Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

I got the drivers side header installed.....

So early on I stated we were removing the EGR system and here is the egr tube on the intake side.

I searched and found they make plugs to block the port off on the intake but chose to make my own. I simply plug welded it up and some cleanup work and walla...

Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

So I have been moving along. I looked over the plug wires and figured I would try and make the stock ones work. I had spent some time looking for cut to fit wires for this style of cap and I didn't find anything. I am running MSD cut to fit wires on my rig and love them.

So in order to get the wires to fit you basically have to swap the 2 straight wires(plug end) side to side from stock. I also ended up trimming the ends of the wires to make them fit perfectly. You basically remove the boot at the camp end and uncrimp the crimp. Its tricky and slow going but the end result is perfect fit wires.

I went ahead and did an oil change. As I was pouring the new oil in I found a puddle on the floor. Looked and found it pouring out the back of the valve cover and I can see the rubber gasket shoved back into the head--guess I will be pulling them off and fixing that...

Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Next I dove into getting the air inlet done up. After some fitment and a run to the store I was ready..

Here is the mount I made that holds the MAF.

I got some 3" PVC Sch 80 pipe and a 3" coupler and went to town. I think it turned out pretty good and should do the job nicely. I also got the wiring all done for the MAF and IAT which finish's off that whole side wiring wise.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #86
Suck it up!

Ew. I hate oil on new headers. Or on old headers.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Next thing to tackle is the vacuum feed for the brake booster. The nipple on the plenum is 1/2" and the hose on the toy stuff is 3/8". Now you can crimp the 1/2" down to the 3/8" but it looks like ass IMO...

I know there are other methods to handle this but here is how I did it..

Took a 3" long 1/4" chunk of pipe and the ID is absolutely perfect to tap out to 1/8" npt (and I mean perfect). So I simply ground one threaded end and tapped it.

And took a 1/8" npt to 3/8" barbed fitting and walla--perfect adapter,lol.

So I used a portion of the OEM gm hose, took the check valve and moved it to where the clamp was that held the booster hose and trimmed the hose down--and walla--another thing off the list..

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Ew. I hate oil on new headers. Or on old headers.
I hate oil on exhaust period,lol...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

So after some other stuff I dug back into this I sat and got the coolers figured out and figured I would get that radiator clearance issue fixed...

There is a little more room to play with now. The sleeve that was used was galvanized so trying to get a good weld on the frame once that portion of the plate was awful. I decided to drill the sleeves out and the box to 1/2" and weld the nut in place since I could get a good bite with that against the frame(nut was a tad bigger than the sleeve).

Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

I got a bunch of boxes today with half being my electrical supplies to restock my inventory and the other parts Chris ordered for the truck.

So since I had material to build the last cable to the starter.

So at this point all needed factors to make it run are there. I turned the (broken) ignition switch and no crank--damn. So I spent some time going back over the start system and found where I had made a mistake.

When I bypassed the clutch start switch I connected the wrong 2 wires. I had connected the Black/red to the Black/yellow. The correct way is the Black/red to the White/black. After that it cranked so I threw a gallon of fuel back in the tank and the damn thing started and ran.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

So here is the stock thermostat housing/upper radiator neck assembly.

The configuration of the neck and radiator was going to make getting a hose to fit a pain. Well I formulated a new idea why not make the neck so an easier hose could be sourced and just basically make a better setup.

This ended up being a lil bit of work to get everything where it needed to be. One nice aspect for modding the OEM neck is the fact its steel with the base being 3/8" thick so welding to it without causing any warpage will be a piece of cake. I ended up using 1.5" tubing which is perfect since the hole in the base is roughly the same ID as the .120 wall tubing ID and the neck on the rad is also 1.5"--It all just seemed like a perfect match.

But here is what I came up with.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Got the new coolers that I had chris order and working on mounting location.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I just love making this stuff and find the harder the better....

Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

So the last few days have been slow going but I was able to get more stuff done.

I pulled the rad and I was not happy with how it sat--I wanted it a tad over more to the passenger side due to the clearance from the rad to the nut on the steering box. Well I ended up working the mounts and made a 1/4" spacer for the rad and I was able to get it where I feel comfortable with it.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

So in stock form(4.3) the trans cooler lines went down the motor. Due to how close the Y pipe will be to the pan I wanted the most room for the cooler lines from the heat and the only way was to run them down the frame rails.

So I ran rubber from the trans to the lines I made on the frame.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

My original plan was to go hardline all the way to the rad/cooler but after some thought I came up with "thats a bad idea" due to movement of the body to the frame. So I ended up going hardline to rubber at the rad.

Cooler mount I made and all mounted up. The hardline dives up with a short section of hose. From the cooler to the radiator is all hardline (tough piece to make) and wraps around the other side of the rad.

p/s cooler also mounted and body notched for the hose to pass thru.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

So the trans cooler setup is all done and the rad is in for good--time for some cooling stuff. I found an upper rad hose that seems to fit quite nice and its funny because its a toyota hose. Its an upper hose off a carbed motor with a 20/22r motor since they have a slight dive (unlike an EFI version that has a little U in it for the air inlet hose to clear).

For the heater hoses that was pretty simple. Since the toy stuff is basically 5/8" for the 4.3 all you need to do is swap the fitting on the intake since its for a 3/4 hose and the other water fitting on the pump is 5/8". In the past I have used the hose with a pre-formed 90 bend near the end and they come in a few different lengths (gates makes them). As you can see with the pre-formed 90 it really makes them fit nice.

So I just gotta figure out the lower radiator hose and the cooling sysytem will be done.

Last edited by crash; 11-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Finally found a lower radiator hose and fitment was pretty good..

Next will be getting the steering done up since thats the last piece before it can go get exhaust...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I am back from vacation and jumped right back into it. I spent the day just doing odds/ends on the rig once I got my poor shop all cleaned and re-organized.

The stock toy fitting for the return on the steering box is straight vertical and I wanted a better fitment. Chris is supposed to be bringing me a new fitting but I had one laying around so I went ahead and built a new one.

Once that was done I could now finish the return portion of the steering.

I still need to get a steering hose and once I get the needed fittings from Chris I can get it done but I still need to get a good hose. This is a used one that I had marked for the application as its perfect for how I mod them to go from the gm pump to the toy steering box.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

So I filled the cooling system up and damn if I didn't have a pinhole at the neck. So I pulled it off, fixed it and got it back together--no more leaks there.

For those who know me and one of my signature things I do--here is the coolant res tank,lol..

Also got the grill put back in. For those pesky clips that like to break--here is my fix for that..

So while I was gone a long awaited box showed up--his shifter..

So next I will go ahead and get shifter stuff figured out but I gotta do some reading. I have heard about guys not running a kickdown cable and this trans has a plug in its place--so I gotta get that figured out.

Another Rig in the Crashfab shop...... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Speed's new shop rig 4stAir Axial AX-10 Scorpion 59 02-04-2008 08:12 PM
New rig in the shop. Reflection Kyosho Crawlers 21 10-09-2006 07:18 PM