Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: The Comanche

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
Got Worms?

Default Re: The Comanche

Yesterday, i got alot of it welded up....i snapped some pics last night.
Today, we got all the tailgate stuff fitted and tacked....but forgot to take pics
All that is left now, to make it wheelable, is finish some welds, tail lights, and shackles.
I go back to school in 1.5 weeks....and i'm not sure if i want to try and get it all tabbed up for body panels or if i should just rock the tube till winter break.

Believe it or not, but the ^^^ is how i type long essay's (or just about anything), then go back and attempt to make it flow. I'm too lazy and tired right now to finish the above, sorry.

Last nights pics about halfway through welding it up (Cage was getting so warm i couldn't rest my hand on it, with welding gloves on!....so i took some pics )

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Got Worms?

Some pics of the tail gate.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Got Worms?

Well, there won't be much more progress....just finishing up what i got now.

There's a week left till i go back to school and i can't start to skin it without finishing it...so i'm just going to leave it bare tube till i can work on it again (Either am back home for more than afew weeks or get a welder and other fab tools while i'm at school)

So the todo is
*Finish up the welding
*Build the spare tire mount
*Get tail lights installed
*Paint all the bare metal.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

That looks awesome!!!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
Got Worms?

So, i picked up my new shackles from the water jet today. They had alot of surface rust on em so i touched em up with the flap wheel.

They're 1/2" thick boomerang shackles....i drew them up in AutoCad

Thats all the progress i made on those today, i think i'll work on getting them built and ready to plow through boulders tomorrow evening.

However, i managed to get my hands on a very large pair of nuts and a bolt.....so i decided to build my spare tire mount.

I started out by welding some 1.5" 3/16 wall sq. tube onto one of the nuts. I'm starting at the base and working my way up.

Then i got it welded onto the bed frame

(The end of the legs are just tacked on currently though, i wanted it to cool down so i can rest my hand comfortably trying to fill up a nasty gap)

Here's the bolt

My bed can handle a tire up to 40.125" in diameter....which is plenty of room when i go to 39" Krawlers.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
Got Worms?

I kinda want to make a gooseneck ball too.

It be interesting to see a jeep setup to pull a gooseneck...even if it didn't have the motor or suspension too.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Nice work!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Got Worms?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
Got Worms?

So tonight, i got the the bumper trimmed and recapped....i also capped/terminated the inner bed frame. Originally, the bed wasn't going to get pinched as much as it did, so the inner bed frame wasn't pinched. I thought about cutting it and welding a new piece in to follow the bed rails, but with that bed frame welded down tight to the frame i figured it be a huge pita, so i decided to go this route (I almost flat capped it )

(Also, i know the lower weld on the tail light 2x4 is shitty, there must have been paint or something underneath it that was giving me alot of porosity and junk....might of been all the gunk the plasma spewed out when i cut the tailights)

Then i got the top of the tail light 2x4 capped

And another overall pic

Thats it for now....post up questions, comments, or concerns.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
Got Worms?

I got everything finished up saturday night around midnight....woke up monday morning at 6 and took it out wheelin in montrose co (ran die tryin and topless)

Here's all the pics i got

Today, i've been loading up a stock trailer full of my junk to move up to golden with me tomorrow. I'm borrowing alittle 110 flux core welder so i can weld on all my body panel tabs while i'm up at school (But i'd still like to have a big boy welder to use), then i'll paint it and wire it up.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #31
Got Worms?

Well, today i managed to pickup a set of 37" krawlers (red) on H2 wheels for $300 Two of them are 40-50% tread, the other two are pretty well worn (range from 5% to 30%), but if i flip em around on the wheel they should work pretty good on the rear.

I'll keep em in the shop unless i go out and run some hard stuff....just run my km2's on all the easy stuff i go run while i'm at school. I'll test out the H2 wheels here soon, make sure they fit.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Wow that's really looking great, sucks we didn't get to hook up while you were in town maybe next time!

Sent from my phone because my computer sucks
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikro383 View Post
Wow that's really looking great, sucks we didn't get to hook up while you were in town maybe next time!

Yea, my losi is still tore apart and broke I really just need to man up and buy a new esc...but that means i can't buy jeep parts or tools .

Today, i bought a 2.5ton high lift jack from Harbor Freight because using a bottle jack and 2x4's was a very time consuming task yesterday when we was putting some coil spacers on one of my housemates jeep. I also think i found a smitybilt xrc8 winch with a burnt up motor for almost free. I'm going to go look at it later this week...hopefully i can rebuild the motor.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I here that I've got a cache of half built rc's and really need to upgrade my 1:1 steering to hydro

mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #35
Got Worms?

So, i got the krawlers mounted up to my jeep...i wanted to check clearance and see if they actually hold air. (I was told they hold air)

I flexed it out and they just barely touch my sliders at full turn and 90% flex. So i guess this winter i need to shorten up the sliders about 2" so they'll clear the future 39's.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
Got Worms?

So, yesterday i got my ruff stuff diff cover put on (I've only had it bouncing around in my tool box since july).

I was going to paint it black, but then i decided to use clear....partially because thats all we had in the garage.

Also, while i was putting that on we were putting on some corner armor on my friend's jeep...and we also went and picked up a new project; a 1987 bmw 325 which will become a rally car.

Last edited by losikid; 09-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
Got Worms?

So, i planned on going wheelin this weekend in buena vista, co. Go run chinaman's gultch with school club trip and might of run carnage if i found a group to wheel with when i got up there.

BUT, loading my jeep up on the trailer friday night my radiator decided to tell me a dirty little secret it's been keeping from me....corrosion.

So i didn't go wheelin and now i'm in search of a radiator. I can't seem to find any high quality radiators for my jeep, and my options are afew different chinese built all aluminum rad's or get a oem style....they're about the same price. I'd like to get a 2 core all alum rad with 1" or bigger tubes...but none of the chinese rad's classify the tube dia used in the cores.

So, i'm going to research converting from my closed system to an open system.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
Got Worms?

Just got back from moab...i plucked afew pics out from a massive collection that was taken. I'll post more up later...
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
Got Worms?

So, got pics from my jeep in moab sorted out

https://plus.google.com/photos/10640...LuiyLHJwrCtjQE

So started out running Hells Revenge with some tacoma's

Blew a bead, oops

My dog

Then i ran pritchett with my dad and his friends

Going around a corner too fast blew a bead but this didn't? Krawlers are an interesting tire i guess..

Stretchin it out

Got some good air

Something about this picture just ain't quite right...can you figure it out?

There was a hole underneath that water

My dog!

It was alittle slick

Rocker Knocker was a cake walk

I think i could of got Rock Pile, but someone pointed out that my passenger side u-joint was missing a cap. So i got towed up rockpile and wheeled the rest of the day in 2-wheel drive

Yellow hill in two wheel drive

Got through pritchett

Opps

My dog!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #40
Got Worms?

So abit of a update

Moab yielded a broken passenger hub, a dropped cap on the passenger U-Joint and a broken heim joint on the passenger side radius arm.

I also sold the krawlers to pay some bills and put the km2's back on.

I probably won't have time or money to fix my jeep till january...but current todo is

Fix the jeep (U-joint, hub, heim)
Paint the bed
Organize the toolbox and create a list of parts i need to stock up on (I've been using parts out of it but haven't been buying replacement parts to go back in )

Here's the pic of a destroyed heim

The Comanche - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Comanche build... Cnp22 Axial SCX-10 17 04-27-2011 06:27 PM
The Comanche jeep94xj 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 04-07-2011 08:05 PM
comanche cab ol puddin head Axial SCX-10 2 03-05-2011 07:04 PM
comanche body? aircruiser Axial SCX-10 6 01-14-2011 11:43 AM