Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Synthetic Winch Line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Synthetic Winch Line

I have a warn 9000 lb winch on my Jeep. I'll need to replace my cable soon and I really want to try Synthetic. My hesitation is that I live in TN. We have equal parts mud to rock.

I don't enjoy the mud, but I can't avoid it on most of our rides. Do you really have to wash I out a lot? There are other things like the UV damage and stuff that you read about, but I haven't really talked to anyone that uses it.

Anyone here have some experience? How do you treat your line and is it holding up?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

It's all everyone around me use. Don't do anything to it as far as maintenance. If it breakers tie it together and go. Some have used it for 6+ years. I would never use steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc's suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Synthetic Winch Line

I have been using the synthetic since it first came out here in the pac northwest. We have similar terrain to you guys from what I have seen. I have had it break on me many times but its usually the last 10ft or so usually. Mostly because I winch my front end down a lot and it gets frayed. When it breaks its not a big deal like when wire rope does, much safer and never get wire in your hands or need gloves ya know.

The biggest pain of syn rope is how the outer wrap on a hard pull will dig down into the drum and when you go to pull out by hand it wont go. The other thing that can be a problem is the lug coming off the end where it attaches to the drum. I had to weld a chain link to a drum one time and tie the rope to it solve this problem. I think the manufacturers have addressed this and make better lugs that hold now a days.

So that all bein said I will never got back to wire. The rope is lighter, safer and works good enough for my 4500 lb buggy. Go for it, all the cool kids are doing it
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Synthetic Winch Line - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Synthetic Winch Line options Locked Up Locked Up RC 12 05-24-2016 11:22 PM
New Synthetic Winch Line Colors now available Locked Up Locked Up RC 0 06-10-2012 09:36 PM
synthetic winch line Kranberry Scale Accessories 0 09-05-2009 10:32 PM