Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Jeep or LR3/4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jeep or LR3/4

I want a new truck and can't figure out which one I want. Its either a jeep wrangler or a land rover LR3 or 4 I'm in Louisiana so most of the land rovers are asphalt queens and there is more mud than rocks but Texas and Arkansas aren't that far of a drive if I want some articulation rushes what do y'all think?? I'm meaning toward the LR3 but the jeep is solid axle all the way around compared to IFS on the LR3
noobiescaler35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Jeep or LR3/4

I'd recommend getting a Jeep. When it boils down to it I'm a Land Rover guy through and through, but the parts availability and aftermarket support for the Jeeps are unbelievable. Don't get me wrong LR3's are phenomenal offroad even with just a mild all terrain. The traction control and all the electronic wizardry makes it incredibly capable. The Independent suspension doesn't really handicap it either. Your options for modifying one are limited though. They make bumpers, sliders and "lift kits". But that's all I know of.

If I were to recommend a Land Rover I'd recommend you get a Discovery 1 or a 2. The D1 has the same chassis as a Range Rover Classic, Simple old V8, Straight axled, and best yet they're getting pretty cheap. My Dad's 04' D2 has been really reliable with only a few little problems here and there.

Here's a pic of a D2 that's for sale on discoweb.org right now for $7500. Fully tricked out. Fully armored, has ARB lockers and upgraded axles. Only problem is it's in Ohio. If I had the money I'd drive up and get it:

Ben

Last edited by 88RRC; 09-26-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fixed Picture
88RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks man and the pic didn't show up maybe you could text it to my phone :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Fixed! It did show up on my screen last night. Must have been because when I posted I was still logged in over there so I didn't see it wasn't working.
Ben
88RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yea man that's a nice truck fr sure and have been looking for one now I like them
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i'd take a Jeep over a LR if I had to choose right now. just for the removable roof / doors (i'm a convertible addict)
crawlerpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerpat View Post
i'd take a Jeep over a LR if I had to choose right now. just for the removable roof / doors (i'm a convertible addict)
That's nothing a sawzall can't fix :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Being that the LR3 and LR4 (well Land Rover in general) are TERRIBLE for reliability and quality, I would get a Jeep. A Jeep wont break the bank when you get remotely close to a gas station or worse.... the stealership!

I had a D2 and it drove fine but every 75,000 miles or so, you have to get the whole head of the motor reworked. That's about a $6-8,000 bill. So, that's when I went back to Toyota.

Also, if you're willing to upgrade the Jeep or LR (whchever you choose), the Jeep is FARRRRR less expensive to upgrade. If I remember correctly from when I had my D2, a 3" lift was like $2,000. A 4" lift from Teraflex or Full Traction is around the same cost but with more bang for your buck, plus it will probably be long arm suspension.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Being that the LR3 and LR4 (well Land Rover in general) are TERRIBLE for reliability and quality, I would get a Jeep. A Jeep wont break the bank when you get remotely close to a gas station or worse.... the stealership!

I had a D2 and it drove fine but every 75,000 miles or so, you have to get the whole head of the motor reworked. That's about a $6-8,000 bill. So, that's when I went back to Toyota.

Also, if you're willing to upgrade the Jeep or LR (whchever you choose), the Jeep is FARRRRR less expensive to upgrade. If I remember correctly from when I had my D2, a 3" lift was like $2,000. A 4" lift from Teraflex or Full Traction is around the same cost but with more bang for your buck, plus it will probably be long arm suspension.
Thanks man I found an old Toyota fj I think it is or a land cruiser I Dont know for sure I saw it for sale today on the side of the road already snorkled and lifted I might go check that out after I get back from a G6 this weekend
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiescaler35 View Post
Thanks man I found an old Toyota fj I think it is or a land cruiser I Dont know for sure I saw it for sale today on the side of the road already snorkled and lifted I might go check that out after I get back from a G6 this weekend
What years? I'm assuming you saw and FJ40 and a FJ60. If so, either are just about bullet proof. I love me some older "Toyoters". One thing to make sure of though, is to check the oil pressure. Older Toyota motors can get finicky with oil pressure. Don't be afraid to put in some thick engine oil either... Toyota motors love that stuff!

In my old 85 4Runner with the 22RE, I think I used 20W-40.

Also, look at some FZJ80 Toyotas. You can pick them up for cheap now and they can be pretty well built. A good friend of mine had one with just about every upgrade you can do to a FZJ and he sold it for $4000.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Awesome and yes I think it was an fj40 I'm not to smart with the older foreign vehicles it looks like a super old land rover lol I'll see if I can get a oic and post it up tomorrow some time and thanks for all the advise I'm a hotrod guy getting into the crawling scene lol :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiescaler35 View Post
Awesome and yes I think it was an fj40 I'm not to smart with the older foreign vehicles it looks like a super old land rover lol I'll see if I can get a oic and post it up tomorrow some time and thanks for all the advise I'm a hotrod guy getting into the crawling scene lol :thumbup:
That's alright man! Everyone has to start somewhere! Hotrods are a little out of my expertise as well. But that does sound like an FJ40.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions with the Toyotas. I'll be more than happy to answer them for you. . There is also a forum called ih8mud.com and they are a forum that focus on old "full-size" Toyotas. If you want to research something for yourself, have at it!

Old Toyota axles are the BOMB!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
That's alright man! Everyone has to start somewhere! Hotrods are a little out of my expertise as well. But that does sound like an FJ40.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions with the Toyotas. I'll be more than happy to answer them for you. . There is also a forum called ih8mud.com and they are a forum that focus on old "full-size" Toyotas. If you want to research something for yourself, have at it!

Old Toyota axles are the BOMB!
:thumbup:thanks man and my baby right now is a 1956 Chevy Apache 3100 pickup with a 388 stroker putting 687whp to the asphalt

Jeep or LR3/4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lr3 cc-01 SFC K Tamiya XC/CC01 63 03-18-2016 02:00 PM
My LR3 motur Axial SCX-10 19 12-27-2010 05:59 PM
my LR3 notagain 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 01-23-2009 01:27 PM