Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Project: Magic Doorgate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project: Magic Doorgate

Guess what, I ain't dead! Just been taking time off from RC's to do other stuff. Some of that stuff requires welding, so I broke down and bought an Eastwood MIG 135. That's the baby model, that runs on 110V (more on that later).

The Magic Doorgate works like a tailgate when you turn the handle one way, and like a door if you turn it the other. (This for those too young to remember station wagons.)

Those of you with long memories will recall the old Country Squire wagon I built back in what, 2011? Anyway, that featured a working Magic Doorgate, and I said to myself, "Self, how cool would it be to build one in full scale? Pretty awesome, self. You should totally do that."

So, conversation over, I started in. First step is to build the left lower hinge, to change it to 2-way operation. Okay, that's second. First is to tear it apart:

Thanks, Ford, for using the Devil's Own Threadlock in there. MAPP torch to the rescue. Then we can make with the welding:

Wait, that's finished. Okay, I didn't take pictures while I was throwing sparks. Mostly this has to do with my mood after dealing with the Devil's Own Threadlock.

What you're looking at is a heavy-duty gate hinge (from Lowe's) welded to the chopped-up factory lower hinge. Had to take care to keep the spacing right, otherwise the tailgate wouldn't fit back on. That cross marks the center for the big bushing, so I'd know where to drill the hole.

This is the business end of the hinge.

Test fitting, with the tailgate notched for clearance.

Primed and reassembled. No more driver's side latch (for now) or passenger side cable (forever).

All closed up. It works nice and smooth so I know I got the center in the right place. If not, there's a ton of adjustability built into the factory hinge. I just lined it up with the unpainted shadow of where it used to be, and it was spot on.

I'll be doing this in stages as weather and back health permits. I find I can do about 3 hours of this a day before I've had enough, so don't expect lightning progress.

I'm waiting on latches now, supposed to be here Tuesday. Some would say starting early is a sign of an immature mind (no argument) but I saw a weather opportunity and took advantage.

As far as the MIG running on house current, it needs 20A at its max setting (which I used for this hinge) and the garage only supplies 15A. So I plugged it into the emergency generator.

Stay tuned for more updates!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project: Magic Doorgate

Today's update (last til next week, weather permitting):

Started on the left upper latch/hinge base:

It's a short chunk of 1" square tube welded to the original tailgate striker. This is the test fitting. Can you say booger welds?

Aligning the lower hinge

The cats are really ticked off that I stole their toy for this project...

But now I can see that the alignment is on. Weird that I used a laser when the tape measure has yet to make an appearance, but that's me.

Base cleaned up as much as possible. As I'm still learning to weld, I'm pretty happy if I can get "talented ape" results. So yeah, not bad for an ape.

The tailgate will need a big notch to clear this, which hasn't been done yet. Once the latches arrive I can do that.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

My Caprice Wagon has the back door you are trying to build. My question is why?

I have doubts about the hinge supporting the weight of the tailgate. And more importantly what you are doing ,at least to this point, is very unaesthetically pleasing.

If you like I can get some pics from my Caprice.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The why is easy. I'm an old fart with a bad back, and loading heavy stuff over the tailgate is getting really old. With it open, door-fashion, I have a clear path to the floor without bending over. Also, because I can.

The weight of the gate itself shouldn't be a problem. There's no glass in there and it only weighs 40 pounds.

I have plans for aesthetics, although the solution to the left lower hinge is still rattling around inside my head looking for the right neuron to hit. If nothing else I'll just paint it body color and hope it doesn't stand out so much.

And, if it all turns to cack, I can put another tailgate on there. This all bolts on with no mods to the truck bed.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, I told myself I wasn't gonna, but I went to one of those big Black Friday sales. They had tailgate handles 100% off:

Everything went just fine til I did the final grind-off, then the tailgate gonged. It's got a depression the size of a dinner plate below the patch (too much heat I guess). So I'll go in there with a spoon and ding it back out.

The patch is from the wheel-arch panel that I'm going to replace this spring (rust). I won't need to go all the way to the character line with that, so I stole a chunk of it for this. Which is how the character line looks right.

Not bad for an ape, but still learning.

And for anyone who thinks the new lower hinge looks weak, it supports my big ass just fine.

Last edited by microgoat; 11-26-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

Nice to see you are still around. Glad to see that you are doing something different and say "eff it, I'm still doing it" to those who question your methods or reasoning. Looking forward to your end result.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Getting closer all the time, Dean. More progress on the WTFGate:

Took a break from the normal Black Friday routine of cowering under the bed, and braved the hordes of people bravely overloading their credit cards. Fortunately the hardware aisle was pretty empty (personally I'd love a big bucket of nuts & bolts for Christmas, but apparently I'm in the minority there. Should have stayed home, as this attempt is sort of a bust. Or practice, if you want to look at it that way.

This is the handle end of the release mechanism, which connects to....

... what I'm calling a multiplier. It works, as far as it goes, but there's far too much lost motion with the primary linkage, which is 1/8 rod with Z bends on the ends. This will be replaced with twin cables, which acting in tension should have zero or a lot less slop. Not to mention being a whole lot easier to install.

Now for the wailing and gnashing of teeth:

WHAT IS THAT, A DOORKNOB FROM A PUBLIC TOILET?! YOU SHOULD HAVE USED (insert alternative here). Yes, it's a common household doorknob, for the simple reason that they operate in two directions.

WHY DID YOU PUT IT OUTSIDE IT LOOKS HORRIBLE! Because that's where door handles belong. Also, if I put it inside it would have to mount to the access panel, and good luck setting up cables when it's all buttoned up. Also, IDGAF.

Anyway, I'm all ready for latches.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I like it man, very cool project!
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Oh, what a happy day! The postman brought me some door latches:

Now here's the thing: These are door latches, not magic doorgate latches. Which means the release mech works by pushing, like with a door handle. I need to pull. Fortunately, with some ball ends and the door locking bellcrank, I can make a reversing mech that works with a pull cable. Like so:

Shown installed in a channel made from square tube

So now it's time to butcher the tailgate:

And throw some sparks:

Tack welded in. I know, it's sort of a mess.

Proof of concept

Had to chop the doorjamb a little...

... and the taillight got a trim, too. I'll pretty it up later.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

What's your plan for cleaning that up and making it look better?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I can't really clean it up, but I can damn sure cover it up. I've got some 24-ga steel for that. The good news is that the right lower hinge/latch will sit inside the skin, invisible.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Not much progress today, I about killed myself with yesterday's frenzy. But I did manage to get some stuff done:

New striker installed. This will have to be repositioned as it's 1/4 inch too far out from the bed floor. Yes, I burned the paint getting the damn bolts loose.

Trimmed the latch mounting panel to fit the tailgate, and bent up a tube for the release cable to run in. I'll have to cut the inner tailgate for access.

Cables replace rods for the release mech. Everything works much smoother and more consistently now.

The springs are there so the sliding factory latch can release first, then the spring latch will pop the gate open.

Brace for the left upper latch/hinge and an emergency release cord. This will be tucked behind the pad on the tailgate.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I got some stuff done.

Made a hole...

Tacked the right lower latch in place. At this point the doorgate is mostly functional. I have to pull this latch manually, haven't hooked up the cable yet. That's what the big hole above is for.

My CAD (cardboard aided design) is updated weekly by the pizza boy.

Made a start on the latch cover. This won't look so huge once it's painted body color.

After welding and some grinding (needs a bit more of that, but this is where I stopped today.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I started out the day thinking I'd do a couple small things, and ended up damn near finishing it. When I get on a roll, I keep it rolling. Paying the Quasimodo price for it now, though. But ya know what? Totally worth it.

First, I installed my cable guide tube, ran the cable, and tested the mech. Working good enough to button it back up:

The cuts were a bit ugly, so I've got a bigger gap than I care for, but it's tacked back in. Needed a bridge plate on the right outer edge. As this is inside the tailgate where only I will see it, I'm not too fussed over it. Bedliner will cover a lot of sins.

After that it was only a matter of fine-tuning the striker placement, which took about 2 hours longer than it should have. But finally:

Door...

.. gate.

And yes, after I got to this point I spent half an hour going "door...gate...door...gate..."

Now to pretty up the exposed latch and boink that dent back out.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
RCC Addict

There is a whole lot of stuff you jam in one little tailgate , Or door. LOL , nice to see custom fab work.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I applaud your creativity to build something that will help make your chores easier on your back.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Cad .... lol. Never heard that reference before. Nice work.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Love all the work going into this tailgate setup!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Excellent job Stu, good to read your most entertaining posts again.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
Donkey Punch Champion!

...you're alive Stu?!

I tell stories about you everyday to anybody who asks about the International semi I have in my office.

The legend is at it again.

By the way, no Facebook account yet?
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote

Project: Magic Doorgate - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
magic smoke? crawler_noob Axial Wraith 7 01-27-2012 01:34 PM
Magic drumbeater Chit Chat 3 05-13-2007 12:54 AM
Magic bullet CreepyCrawler88 Chit Chat 3 03-15-2006 11:16 AM