Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: DD Subaru and 95 pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: DD Subaru and 95 pickup

Ended up taking the Toyota to a shop to redo the front. They used two cans of pb blaster, lol. ToOK them over 20 hours of labor , the truck was a seized up mess. The good news is that the frame and cab is in excellent shape and is worth keeping on the long term.

Also got some 33s on it. Now I think the body lift needs to go next. I'll trim fenders if needed. The tire shop also commented on the frame condition, best they had ever seen on a Toyota of this age.

After that, I'll probably make a flat bed or chop the rear. After wheeling with my buddy in his xj, i notice he has so much better approach and departure and transfer clearance. But I've owned an xj uni body for a decade and don't miss those problems enough to go back.
Attached Images

JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #22

Subie got all terrains and skids. Cvt tranny blows for off road technical driving. Needs to have electric torque too, lol.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #23

So while I'm wishing and dreaming, I really want a Tesla model S. But we are talking the price of a house, and I have to make choices like buying my retirement home or paying off a vehicle. My buddy put it perfect. Buy property where you can stay in one place in solitude and peace, or buy a car where you can drive wherever you want in freedom .

I'm more practical, and have a wife and family to think about too. So the Model S is put on the back burner for when I have a spare 100 grand laying around But I can still dream about more affordable options. Like finding a rear end from a Model S and using it as a center transfer in my Toyota. Should net about 60mph top speed and produce around 1500ft'lb of torque at the wheel. Probably won't be using stock axles for long, ha! And now that I can make any driveline and couplers needed on the fancy lathe, the dream is just a matter of finding parts and allocating time. I would hope that Holmes Motion Control will have enough prestige built into the name to have a chance at working with Tesla or their new battery factory in this regard.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

How well does the front skid fit the Subie? I'm looking at one for my newly acquired '99 Forester, too many fragile parts exposed for my comfort.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Speaking of electric vehicles, have you looked at many other than the tesla? The white zombie is pretty cool.
Welcome to Plasma Boy Racing, home of White Zombie, the world's quickest street legal electric door slammer in the 1/4 mile drag.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
How well does the front skid fit the Subie? I'm looking at one for my newly acquired '99 Forester, too many fragile parts exposed for my comfort.
Bolts right up! Got the front, center, and rear diff skids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Speaking of electric vehicles, have you looked at many other than the tesla? The white zombie is pretty cool.
Welcome to Plasma Boy Racing, home of White Zombie, the world's quickest street legal electric door slammer in the 1/4 mile drag.
I've been a member on DIY electric vehicles sites almost as long as RCC. White Zombie is brushed! The reason I'm a fan of the Tesla rear end is the gearbox and motor they used. All the "kit" motors need reduction and I don't want to push power through my existing super power sapping transmission. The ideal situation would be a rear end used in the center.

So if I make the Toyota electric with a center reduction, it would be a rig that is a scaled up version of my RC crawlers
Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #27

I don't mean to high jack the thread but speaking of Subaru's....

Here is my 9" lifted Loyale Wagon I build on 31's

Last edited by [crawlosi]; 01-12-2016 at 12:31 AM.
[crawlosi] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #28

That is rediculous! How on earth did you get 9" of lift without making a subframe for the diffs?

Killed the yota last week. Blasting though a mud puddle broke the fan shroud and jammed it between fan and radiator, piercing the radiator. Got on the highway and overheated. Unfortunately, the engine is not damaged and will be an easy fix. I was hoping for a reason to make a truggy.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I wanted a WRX STI, but needed more interior space and ground clearance for the winters around here. Plus, I've got this farm creek crossing that just taunts most cars... The second choice was a Forester but I wanted enough room to throw a bike in the back, and I've never really liked the look of them.
Hmmm.. STI with more interior space..
Just got the perfect solution, couple weeks ago!

Doesn't help, if you don't like the look of them tho..

Quote:
Primitive racing makes the skids, The skids are a completely bolt on deal.
I need to look into those skids!
Right after I'm done with the 300+whp..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Subie got all terrains and skids. Cvt tranny blows for off road technical driving. Needs to have electric torque too, lol.
More pics of the whole Subi please. My CVT works great, haven't had it off-road technical situations a lot but the older tranny worked well in those situations and was bullet-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Primitive Racing makes good stuff. Also Kartboy makes suspension components for Subis, including Forester.

Quote:
Bolts right up! Got the front, center, and rear diff skids.

I've been a member on DIY electric vehicles sites almost as long as RCC. White Zombie is brushed! The reason I'm a fan of the Tesla rear end is the gearbox and motor they used. All the "kit" motors need reduction and I don't want to push power through my existing super power sapping transmission. The ideal situation would be a rear end used in the center.

So if I make the Toyota electric with a center reduction, it would be a rig that is a scaled up version of my RC crawlers
Do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [crawlosi] View Post
I don't mean to high jack the thread but speaking of Subaru's....

Here is my 9" lifted Loyale Wagon I build on 31's
I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Hmmm.. STI with more interior space..
Just got the perfect solution, couple weeks ago!
Doesn't help, if you don't like the look of them tho..
I need to look into those skids!
Right after I'm done with the 300+whp..
Foresters are great cars, like a truck almost, but seats four adults comfortably, hauls a couple mountain or roadbikes inside the car.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

DD Subaru and 95 pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subaru Impreza Blown Thunder Rally 12 11-29-2013 07:55 PM
Subaru Impreza Lesac Paint and Body 17 03-23-2008 01:28 AM