Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 6T9 chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default 6T9 chevelle

Little over a month ago I picked this up.

Found it locally for what I thought was a pretty good deal. The PO had it on Craigslist for a long time trying to trade it for a Harley. Once he put up a price I called on it and went to check it out. He was being rather stingy on the price and refused to budge off of the listed price despite not putting firm in the add. I decided to leave without the car and after a week or so he kept calling me and I got it for the price I wanted.

Specs are the following :
-69 Chevelle Malibu
-357 (punched 40 over, supposedly has rods and pistons ??)10:1 compression pump gas, edelbrock intake, Moroso crank case evacuation system, Holley carb punched out to a 670, HEI MSD distributor, COMP cams solid lifter XR280R (570 lift) 1.7 roller rockers, long tube headers with cutouts and flow master 2 3/4 exhaust
-rebuilt TCI turbo 350 trans with shift kit
-69 SS 12 bolt with 4.11s and a Eaton posi
-power brakes and disc up front
-hot rod flat black paint job
-American racing wheels

Car is fairly solid, has some plastic in the quarters and lower part of front fenders. Trunk is solid and window frames are solid. Floor isn't bad and had 2 spots patched at some point. Front suspension is all rebuilt and rear suspension has all new bushings.

Interior is or was lacking, so far I have for it a new carpet kit with sound deadening and new sills, 2 new door panels, and glove box insert from OPGI. It needs a new dash pad, new dash facia (going to get the one with the spot for the 3 built in gauges), head liner, sail panels, rear panels and I have to reupholster the rear seat because the top portion has to rips in it.

So far I have done:
New Derail performance transmission pan (cooling pan and extra fluid)
High torque mini starter
New battery
New wiring from battery in trunk up to starter
Pulled out a bunch of useless old wiring from engine bay
New Autometer coolant gauge, and volt gauge and all new wiring for gauges
New OPGI fan shroud
160 stat

Have but haven't installed yet:
Jegs correct align power steering bracket kit and pulley
Chevelle header emblem
Grill pieces that go between headlights
New B&M ratchet shifter
JEGS shifter pedestal

I am going to do interior 1st because I am good at the stuff. Then ill move to body work which unfortunately I know nothing about. I did purchase a Lincoln 125 welder and have a little bit of welding experience and hope to gain some more. The PO loved self tappers so there is actually some coming up through floor boards, plus some other holes from a different shifter and 2 random larger holes on kinda where fire wall meets the floor on the passenger side. I bought the Eastwood copper magnetic backers so I am going to weld all those closed first, then tend to the ones in the firewall in engine bay. Over the winter there is a spot in the rocker panel that needs attention and that will be my 1st major body work repair that I am going to attempt.

Hopefully down the road she will be a nice orange color with a set of weld RTS black wheels but for now she runs and drives well and everyone seems to love that flat black. I get some many thumbs up and people rolling down windows to ask me about at traffic lights because you can't miss hearing the cam haha.

Enough babble here are some more pics from the last weeks local cruise night

Just a little mouse motor

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 11-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 6T9 chevelle

Nice!!!! Its got a real sinister look to it and the future wheel selection will Definitely look bad ass!!!!and that motor dont sound like no slouch.
Car looks killer man,nice score!!!!! cant wait to see what you do with it!!!!!
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looks good Mike! That's one of my favorite years for a Chevelle, you going to get a cougar to ride shotgun?

I need to get back on the wagon...
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looks good Mike! That's one of my favorite years for a Chevelle, you going to get a cougar to ride shotgun?

I need to get back on the wagon...
I don't think the Gf would appreciate me letting random cougs ride shotgun surprisingly the Gf likes this thing, she wants to drive it so I need to get cracking on the PS install. Going to do the grand Cherokee box upgrade too
Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

I was thinking more like this...

chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I was thinking more like this...

If your not 1st your last!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I love it. That was my dream muscle car as a kid. My dad had a 66 for a little while.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nice looking ride, sounds like you've got a solid build plan. My dad had a handful of Chevelles of various years when I was younger, sadly he didn't keep any of them.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Sinking with the ship

Since obtaining the Chevelle I had worked on it a little bit here, little bit there...the Subaru kinda screwed up the plans for it as all my money is going back into that to fix it AGAIN. I did however make some changes on the Chevelle over the passed few months.

For starters, I ditched the American racing wheels...one because I didn't like them, two because they were the wrong offset and we rubbint the quarters which was making me crazy. I am aiming for the daily driver/weekend racer look and found someone who had a set of weld drag lites that wanted to trade for my American racing wheels...SCORE I then found another set of rears with useable drag radials and after a quick negotiation I stole them for a 160$ , more on that later

For my birthday my gfs mother hooked me up with some cash so I went with an MSD 6al-2 box. Has rev protection that's adjustable via some small pot dials (no more chips) and has a 2-step feature as well.

My mom picked me up a new dash pad, and I had purchased some door panels and an interior carpet kit with sound deadening. I got the carpet kit in and drivers door panel and dash pad installed. Also went with a shifter pedestal and ditched the one B&M shifter for a true B&M ratchet style that still had the reverse lock out and such. And because sometimes I become safety Sam I decided a drive loop was probably a good idea and while I put that II I had the drive shaft rebuilt and balanced as well.

The car has been running great and I was dying to get some track time with it. It felt "slow" to me compared Subaru and I was already thinking of doing a nice set of aluminum heads to shave some weight and get I breathing better. Through the help of some friends we were able to toss together a track rental at ATCO Dragway in NJ this passed Thursday. We loaded up my boat...I mean Chevelle and my buddies nova and headed to the track.

When we got there I utilized the trailer and rolled under the car quick to unbolt the cut outs the PO had them off when I picked the car up and it sound INSANE with them off but definitely a no no for cruising the streets. I dropped the pressure on the BF Goodrich drag radials to 21psi, warmed up the car and headed to the burn out box. I have only been in front of a tree maybe 6x and that was with the Subaru which is a much different animal. I wasn't sure to expect but I warmed up the tires, staged her at the tree and got up on the convertor the best I could. When the tree dropped I blew the tiires off the rims spinning them nearly 1/2 way down the track so I headed back to the pits and dropped them to 18lbs like everyone said to do. The next pass the car left awesome! I tore down the track, cracking each gear and as I hit the end I was up on the limiter. As I came back around my step dad had the slip for me. I asked him if I cracked a mid 13 second pass which is what I figured the car would be doing. He has this look on his face and handed me the slip...12.3 at 110 I couldn't believe it, I was so pumped, obviously this 3500lb boat (3700 if you account for my fatass) is no slouch with that little mouse under the hood. 2 more passes later I made a decision to bump the limiter, 7000 rpms...lets go!

After doing that I was no longer catching the limiter at the trap like I was when I was at 6500. I also shifted the car then too at 6900. Several passes later I had my 60 foot down to a 1.7 and was at 12.02. I decided to make one more attempt to get this bitch to an 11.99 and I popped off the air cleaner, heated the shit out of the tires and launched this piggy and nailed every gear perfectly at 7k.... 1.7 6 foot, 112.x mph 12.01 I was so close yet so far. I decided to leave it be, car was still in one piece and it was clear that 12.0X was all she had for he day. It had already exceeded my limits so I couldn't be happier have a few plans to break into 11s for next time so now I have a basis of what she is made of and with a few tweaks I'll be where I want to be for sure.

Couple of videos !

1969 Chevelle small block cam only at ATCO dragway - YouTube

1969 Chevelle small block cam only at ATCO dragway - YouTube

1969 Chevelle small block cam only at Atco Dragway - YouTube

Thanks for looking
-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 11-17-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Man that makes me miss the '71 I had when I was in high school forever ago....
1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Dam man that thing sounds nasty as hell!!!!!! The car looks great too,and nice passes!!!!!! Thats pretty quick
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote

6T9 chevelle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blown 1970 Chevelle SS 51WillysJeep 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 39 11-05-2016 03:23 PM
new Tom Cruise movie with '70 Chevelle STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 14 12-26-2012 08:43 PM
new Chevelle Concept vehicle! STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 49 01-27-2012 04:53 PM
69 Chevelle :D h8z2luze Chit Chat 25 02-06-2010 12:08 AM