Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Explorer VS. Acadia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Explorer VS. Acadia

Its about that time to put my wife in a new (to us) SUV.

Were looking for used 2010 to 2014, under 30,000miles

The only MUST HAVE option is 3rd Row seating, but the more bells and whistles for the right price, the better!

We have have looked at many brands, and settled on the Ford Explorer or GMC Acadia. Now were stuck because we love them both!

Does anyone here own either vehicle in the model years '10 to '14?

Likes? Dislikes? Quality? Reliability? Real World MPG?

Any input appreciated!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Explorer VS. Acadia

They are both absolute garbage. It's like the car is about 10K in electonic nannies and gizmos, and that leaves about 10K for the rest of the car. Meaning that most of what's left is recycled plastic. OK, it's not quite that bad, but take it from someone who has worked on both. They just aren't designed to go the long haul. Granted the roads up here in VT are pretty bad, but both of them have a reputation for munching wheelbearings and tie rods with only a few years of use on them.

I highly suggest you go drive an 05 and newer Toyota Sienna before making your decision. As soon as someone requires a 3rd row seat it becomes the most economical option over the long haul. Once your inside it's hard to tell your driving a minivan.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Neither are a great vehicle to buy. I would highly suggest looking at Toyota, Nissan and even Hyundai as they will hold their resale value and won't fall apart on you.

When I worked at a GMC dealership, we had 2 Acadias come back for interior pieces falling off, fading or just plain not working. I don't think they ever got those problems resolved. Not to mention the options that didn't work FROM the factory.

Ford Explorer... While it may seem that Ford has dramatically upgraded their Mid-size SUV, I can tell you that they have and haven't. While the bells and whistles are there, Ford hasn't really refined anything. Even the local police departments are going away from the Chevy Caprice and Ford Explorer because they just cannot handle even a simple task... Like operating correctly.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 07-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Do not buy a Acadia no matter what! I work at a body shop and they get water leaks from the windshield and roof brand new from the factory.
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
They are both absolute garbage. It's like the car is about 10K in electonic nannies and gizmos, and that leaves about 10K for the rest of the car. Meaning that most of what's left is recycled plastic. OK, it's not quite that bad, but take it from someone who has worked on both. They just aren't designed to go the long haul. Granted the roads up here in VT are pretty bad, but both of them have a reputation for munching wheelbearings and tie rods with only a few years of use on them.

I highly suggest you go drive an 05 and newer Toyota Sienna before making your decision. As soon as someone requires a 3rd row seat it becomes the most economical option over the long haul. Once your inside it's hard to tell your driving a minivan.
I didn't even check out any foreign vehicles. My wife and I (and our entire families) are die hard American car owners. I guess if I were to stray, Toyota would be first on the list, but, cant do the minivan thing! Lol

Whats your take on the Toyota Highlander? It might be an option...
Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'd go minivan too, I do like the Chrysler vans though. The power train in my 200 is the same as what the vans and Journeys get and currently has 26.7k on it with only oil changes, tire rotations, and air filter replacements (engine filter was replaced with a K&N, still needs the cabin filter) for "major mechanical work" and has otherwise only had software updates on the trans computer and the "active headrest computer".
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Chevy and ford is all I'd buy, screw foreign crap.lol.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I didn't even check out any foreign vehicles. My wife and I (and our entire families) are die hard American car owners. I guess if I were to stray, Toyota would be first on the list, but, cant do the minivan thing! Lol

Whats your take on the Toyota Highlander? It might be an option...
The Toyota Highlander is a fantastic vehicle to be looking at. They are very easy on the wallet and they come with a good bit of bells and whistles- as is anything else, those bells and whistles only get better with the heavier optioned trims.

This may be a little smaller than what you're looking at, but Toyota did make a 3 row 4Runner before they moved on to the current 6th generation.

Kia has some great models that would work for your family too.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post

Sent using magic
crawl33oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
So mexico and canada are not foreign countries anymore?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Depending on how old are the kids a minivan is a great choice.
We just rented a caravan and you can haul lot of people and is super easy for the little ones to get in and out. Even the elders ones. as they are generally low.
Plus you dont have to worry about the kids dinging other vehicles as the rear door slide back.
And now you can open the doors from the remote.
Just compare the cargo volume VS some SUV.

Toyota FTW
The Slam Van - Bagged Toyota Sienna
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

X2 on what Arevir said!

Last edited by BJoe; 07-08-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Or, Go Honda!

This particular one has around 1030HP. More than a Bugatti Veyron and has bags to get over the speed bumps..

NewboySF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Meh...I give props to any build. Foreign or domestic, but I just cant get over the minivan thing. For me its truck or suv all the way. Its even a stretch for me to look at a crossover, but I've considered it.

As far as bagging a vehicle? Duallys are badass!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm just the opposite on the Crossover vs Minivan thing, I just don't see much purpose to the crossover genre, it's just a fat station wagon with available AWD.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

From a techician's standpoint, the Highlander is a little less "robust" on the undercarriage parts compared to a sienna.

A couple of friend's parents, who aren't "car people", have highlanders and they have no complaints.

I know they've been out a few years now, but I still haven't seen any with enough mileage for me to consider them as proven an option as the Sienna.

I too truly, deep down, hate minivans. But, if you've gotta have that 3rd row seat then I believe you owe it to yourself to go test drive one. Turn the traction control off and do some burnouts or squeal the tires around the corners, and you'll see than it drives much nicer than anyone would expect from a damned minvan. It'll easily outpace any non-exotic crossover SUV.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

ford flex, expedition, or... gmc yukon, yukon xl
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmmm, forgot about the Flex........maybe the Twin Turbo AWD model.......
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

My wife and I have an '08 Toyota Highlander and really like it. It is a little short on storage space for trips and such if you are using the 3rd row as we do with 3 kids but with roof storage and maybe a hitch rack ( I have both) it has plenty of space for a family trip.
The other great thing about the Highlander is the power, the v6 has 270hp and gets about 23mpg on the highway and makes passing very easy.
The highlander is also very comfortable.
Here's a picture from a trip we took to Durango, CO a couple summers ago with the car all loaded down.

Good luck with your decision and hope this helps.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

My wife has a 2013 Explorer. We haven't had any issues with it and she's already got 60k on it. She drives 90+ miles to work and back during the week at highway speeds. It gets 22-23mpg on the highway at 70-80mph and rides great.

We test drove the Acadia and the Chevy version as well. Both of them rode like trucks...very harsh and not nearly as quiet and comfortable inside. Not to mention the features that Ford offers with their vehicles surpasses GM without a doubt. The Ford interiors have a "soft touch" feel to them whereas the GM products were a slick, hard plastic feel...cheap.

If we went to get her another vehicle today I'd probably try to get her into the Explorer Sport...AWD and TURBO!

FYI...the Ecoboost in the Explorer is a wimpy pile of shit...we have the 3.5L V6
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Explorer VS. Acadia - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minecraft Explorer ManiacMagoo 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 12-28-2013 11:26 AM
Gobo The Explorer TURTLE Multi Axle Rigs 33 06-30-2012 06:50 PM
explorer hende Chit Chat 6 07-27-2010 12:23 PM
rolled explorer SlammedMini469 Chit Chat 33 01-17-2006 05:36 PM