Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Truck or Minivan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Truck or Minivan

Hi guys im not a fan of any brand in specific, I would like to get a truck to get rid of my small car.
As I live to far from the big stores (Costco,Walmart etc) and when we travel we dont have the space for stuff.

I was looking online at them as there no dealer here. I will have to travel to go see them.

Ram they seem huge especially the Mega cab versions, thinking on the black appearance group option. If the Ford I was on was big this have to feel like a limo as it have that extra space behind the rear bench.

Ford I been in one and the rear space is big. I like the platinum version due to the HID headlight.

Toyota neutral on this one

Chevy, GMC I like the GMC version a bit more. Also all their focus on a quiet cabin as per their marketing

Any reason to avoid a brand or a engine in a particular brand, etc.
Im looking at buying new to keep it until it no longer moves.
I might take a big hit on MPG or not right now I get about 25MPG
how would all compare also in cabin noise, that one thing I hate about my car.

I like / hate the open bed on the trucks so I will end up buying one of those LEER truck cap covers.
Family of 3 one more on the way so we dont exactly need a 3 row, as crew cab trucks have more cabin space than my current vehicle.
Wife dont mind if I get a truck.

Minivan the only one I like is the Toyota
I like the rear slide doors and space.
Harder to carry big stuff
Im not considering a big SUV I would get a truck or a minivan before that.

I also have a dual sport bike yamaha 250cc that might fit or not inside the minivan.
The only reason I would have to move it in a vehicle is if it breaks as the bike is street legal.

Thanks.
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Truck or Minivan

If the bike was a deal breaker, I'd go truck and get a full topper on it just due to the mess it might create, if not, I'd go minivan since they get the better mileage unless you mod a HD diesel truck or go with that new Diesel V-6 in the Ram. Also if you plan on putting a bunch of heavy stuff in it, I would consider a truck unless the Sienna has some sort of beam axle in the back and can possibly have air shocks or airbags added for additional suspension loads, I personally just don't trust an IRS to be able to handle heavy loads without developing excess negative camber and having the ass end getting too close to.the ground for comfort.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was trying to find out the MPG of the Ram 2500 but no luck I guess it would be around 14mpg hmmm.

We really wont be using it as a work vehicle more to have that space and not to worry about what we buy if it would fit or not.
I guess that right there make my choice much clearer I would end up with the minivan more likely.
Next week we have to head to the big city once there we will go and sit on some of the vehicles and then make the final choice.

But since I dont have any truck background that why I was asking about if there was a particular one to avoid.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I thought everyone in Texas had a truck background

I have owned just about every brand vehicle made (Not literally).

From my past and present experience I have had the least amount of problems with Toyota, but I really think newer vehicles regardless of brand are more reliable than they have ever been. (Not perfect, but much better.)

If you do decide on a truck one thing I recommend is that it at least a limited slip rear diff. (nothing worse than getting stuck in your own yard).

I have also had a few older Dodge minivans and in all honesty I loved them, but I like vans for some reason.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I thought everyone in Texas had a truck background

I have owned just about every brand vehicle made (Not literally).

From my past and present experience I have had the least amount of problems with Toyota, but I really think newer vehicles regardless of brand are more reliable than they have ever been. (Not perfect, but much better.)

If you do decide on a truck one thing I recommend is that it at least a limited slip rear diff. (nothing worse than getting stuck in your own yard).

I have also had a few older Dodge minivans and in all honesty I loved them, but I like vans for some reason.
To be honest I never considered a truck until I moved here to remote Texas. I see so many families with trucks as their daily driver and most of the time their only vehicle.
With 2 3 or 4 kids and they seem happy in the truck.

But today I got and email for a job interview on the east coast so I would go see the vehicles but wait before I decide, cause if we are moving I will completely drop the truck from the list and that would only leave the minivan, as I think a minivan is way more practical that the SUV.

thanks for the head ups on the rear diff. will keep that in mind.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've been a truck guy my whole life. Owned daily drivers that range from small Toyota Pick-ups to diesel Excursions and even an F-450 Flatbed...with almost every make and model in between. Never been into minivans.

With that said, my current work truck/ daily driver is a 2013 F-150 extended cab (w/suicide doors) / 6ft bed. Two wheel drive with the 5.0L Coyote V-8

Its been my favorite pick-up to date! The GVW is high, yet rides great.
the new V-8 has tons of power! 365h.p. / 385lb.ft! It tows a trailer great, passes on the highway with ease, and gets very good MPG considering I have a ladder rack and over 1000lbs of tools/hardware in the bed at all times! I run real world MPG#'s all the time. Long trips routinely see 18.7 MPG highway and 17 MPG city.

We use it for camping and fits Me, Wife and Two young kids comfortably.

FWIW, My apprentice has a 2013 Crew Cab 4X4 V8 w/ 5 1/2' bed. He gets 22 MPG, but drives like a total grandpa. NEVER breaks the posted speed limit. If anything he drives slower. But I challenged his claims on MPG and tested it myself. He was right! It is possible!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you never plan to go offroad, or tow anything more than a small utility trailer, then why do you really need a truck?

In all seriousness, the Toyota Sienna is going to be your best bet for mileage and overall cost of ownership per mile driven. I've worked on a few of them and once your inside it's hard to tell your driving a minivan. Customers claim 20-25mpg in a hilly rural area. They have a smooth ride, smooth shifting, a seemingly abundance of power, and pretty good visibility for a van.

While I haven't done any real car shopping (my cars find me) lately, I would think you could pick up a nice Sienna with a nice utility trailer for the bike for what a truck with a fancy bed cover would cost?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I've been a truck guy my whole life. Owned daily drivers that range from small Toyota Pick-ups to diesel Excursions and even an F-450 Flatbed...with almost every make and model in between. Never been into minivans.

With that said, my current work truck/ daily driver is a 2013 F-150 extended cab (w/suicide doors) / 6ft bed. Two wheel drive with the 5.0L Coyote V-8

Its been my favorite pick-up to date! The GVW is high, yet rides great.
the new V-8 has tons of power! 365h.p. / 385lb.ft! It tows a trailer great, passes on the highway with ease, and gets very good MPG considering I have a ladder rack and over 1000lbs of tools/hardware in the bed at all times! I run real world MPG#'s all the time. Long trips routinely see 18.7 MPG highway and 17 MPG city.

We use it for camping and fits Me, Wife and Two young kids comfortably.

FWIW, My apprentice has a 2013 Crew Cab 4X4 V8 w/ 5 1/2' bed. He gets 22 MPG, but drives like a total grandpa. NEVER breaks the posted speed limit. If anything he drives slower. But I challenged his claims on MPG and tested it myself. He was right! It is possible!
Thanks, I visited a Dodge dealer to go test a 1500 it felt nice and plenty of space, compared to my car. The salesman was like dont be afraid feel the Hemi lol.
Im not a fan of any particular brand I will just go by look. So far the Ram is on the top of my list as far as truck goes.
My mother is a Ford fan she was like are you sure you want a dodge ouch.
I looked at the F150 Platinum online not enough time to visit the ford dealer and I like the HID headlight but the truck overall dont have that mean pop that a Ram 1500 sport have.
I may have to look at other F150 with aftermarket hoods etc. to see if I change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
If you never plan to go offroad, or tow anything more than a small utility trailer, then why do you really need a truck?

In all seriousness, the Toyota Sienna is going to be your best bet for mileage and overall cost of ownership per mile driven. I've worked on a few of them and once your inside it's hard to tell your driving a minivan. Customers claim 20-25mpg in a hilly rural area. They have a smooth ride, smooth shifting, a seemingly abundance of power, and pretty good visibility for a van.

While I haven't done any real car shopping (my cars find me) lately, I would think you could pick up a nice Sienna with a nice utility trailer for the bike for what a truck with a fancy bed cover would cost?
Yes I wont mind a sienna actually if I go minivan that would be the one to get sure the stow and go on the other are nice but reliability on them is not great.
I got my interview this week and that would be the determining factor on what I end up with.

I will still wait for the 2015 models to come out that way I could get a great discount on a 2014 truck or minivan.

Truck or Minivan - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM