Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Diesel or Gas pick-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Default Diesel or Gas pick-up

My next truck will be either a diesel or gas .I don't know yet on which one. What's the differences between the 2. I've had gas one all my life but not a diesel one. My uncle had them but he had 7.3 Power stroke and that awful 6.0. So any info would be great.
chrisrzz1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Default Re: Diesel or Gas pick-up

Chevy and Toyota for gas trucks.. And Dodge trucks for diesel! just my Opinion.
87Matchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

How heavy of a load are ya towing , And how often.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
How heavy of a load are ya towing , And how often.

This, although Ram is the only light duty out there with a diesel right now
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

all depends on what the primary use is. if you're hauling or towing then yes a diesel is what you want. the Cummins or the NEW powerstroke are worth looking into. If your hauling the family and the occasional load in the bed stick with the gas engine. Diesel maintenance is more costly in the long run. 10-15 quarts of oil every oil change, more weight= faster tire and suspension ware. It really adds up if you're not using it. I like both but they each have a purpose.
vinnyphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyphx View Post
all depends on what the primary use is. if you're hauling or towing then yes a diesel is what you want. the Cummins or the NEW powerstroke are worth looking into. If your hauling the family and the occasional load in the bed stick with the gas engine. Diesel maintenance is more costly in the long run. 10-15 quarts of oil every oil change, more weight= faster tire and suspension ware. It really adds up if you're not using it. I like both but they each have a purpose.
Exactly they both have their strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I've put tens of thousands of miles on an '01 dodge quad cab dually with a cummins & 6 speed since that's what I needed at the time. The next tow rig I run will likely be a gasser since it'll only be toting around a combined 4000 lbs or so of auto x truck and trailer. A diesel would be a waste.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

I pulls trailer doing the spring thru fall for 4 wheeler races, plain getting a toy hauler and a 23-27 ft boat. Plus I work about 40 miles away.
chrisrzz1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Unless you plan on hauling heavy (10k+) loads fairly often, go gas. My Ram 1500 V8 gets decent mileage (~15.5) around town, and ~19-21 highway... consistently. Plus I can tow up to 11k pounds if needed. I did pull my brother in law's horse trailer for them that was loaded, probably 7.5k and it did great. Yeah mileage suffered but it barely felt like I was pulling much.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Diesel.....dodge or ford only way in that section
gas......toyota chevy dodge way to go

This is just my option
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

HEHE, just posted in your other thread, for your situation, Gasoline.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

I would say a Dodge 1500 Diesel!! Going to last longer than a gas engine, and on the highway will get better gas milage than the gas engine will. My DD is a 2014 3500 4door long bed GMC. I get 16 city and 20 highway. I pull a 14K Toyhauler. I put my 1:1 Jeep inside of the toyhauler. Do not think you need anything that big for what you are hauling. That is why I said 1500 Dodge with the Diesel. It gets 28MPG high way. Done of the gas engine will do that.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you want a small diesel, ram does have that v6 diesel from Europe. Me personally, if ima pay for a diesel, its gonna be one i trust. Not saying their v6 isnt a good motor, just doesn't have a reputation, bandwagon, or support line through the us that domestic diesels do. If your hell bent on buying a small diesel, buy that Nissan with the 5.0 Cummins in it. Otherwise, OP would just be burning what he may or may not save in fuel on maintenance. If your worried about fuel mileage the new hemis have the vct (variable camshaft timing)that helps with fuel saving when not under load.

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 10-15-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

If you're gonna buy diesel, you can't go wrong with either ford, dodge or chev/gmc. The half ton dodge diesel is a nice option but it cost almost as much as a 3/4 ton and up. If you plan on towing over 8000lbs get a 3/4ton and up. Towing that much in a gas half ton will get annoying and hard on fuel.

Personally I own a new '15 ford super duty with the 6.7 and it tows great. Ford currently has the stoutest drivetrain. While chev and dodge both have good motors, their transmissions leave very little to be desired if you ever plan on making more then stock power.
kind325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

How far and through what terrain are you towing your future 23-27 boat? And remember the extra cost of fuel additives during the winter for a diesel in you neck of the woods. Your winters definitely will gel the fuel line and filters if no additive is present.

Hopefully original poster is still watching this thread, would be a shame to have the diesel vs gasoline debate and the brand war that follows if it's not helping someone. ( by helping someone i mean aggravating them with a bunch of opinions without links and non bias tests until they just go test drive everything in the world as my wife and I did).
Ps. Dealerships dont take kindly to bringing your own trailer for a test drive. Do it anyway!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

There is no need for additives in a diesel. A person can choses to use them and may see some differences... But there is need to use them. Anywhere it gets cold the fuel stations change their supply to a winter blend.

All brands are good and have trade-offs... Just a matter personal preference.
kind325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Chevy or GMC Duramax is the way to go 765 LBS of torque. The Duramax has a stronger transmission. The GM Allison trans is stronger the the other Alison transmissions. My brother inlaw has 2006 with 165,000 miles. 2006 up has the better fuel injectors. He has replaced 1 glow plug- coolant flush and both thermostat's.

I work at a GM dealer, the biggest dealer in San Diego. Our transmission guy said He never has to go into the Allison. He gets the transmission other dealers can't fix. In 2003 when I changed dealers there was 3 full time transmission tech's. now we only have one trans tech. The transmission are built so much better now.

Then the Cummings Diesel.

Not a big Ford fan.

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 10-15-2014 at 12:17 PM.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind325 View Post
There is no need for additives in a diesel. A person can choses to use them and may see some differences... But there is need to use them. Anywhere it gets cold the fuel stations change their supply to a winter blend.

All brands are good and have trade-offs... Just a matter personal preference.
It is nice that stations carry the winter blends, but they don't carry it all season long. And in the mid west not all stations carry it until winter is there and there to stay. It is something to be aware of, most first time diesel owners don't think to look. Having a supply of sea foam and anti gel fuel additives is a must when you live in an area where it can be 40-60 during the day and 15-20 at night.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad,Canyoufix? View Post
It is nice that stations carry the winter blends, but they don't carry it all season long. And in the mid west not all stations carry it until winter is there and there to stay. It is something to be aware of, most first time diesel owners don't think to look. Having a supply of sea foam and anti gel fuel additives is a must when you live in an area where it can be 40-60 during the day and 15-20 at night.
I live in Michigan. Have Diesel Truck. Fuel Gel is not a problem. Never had one problem with it last winter. No need to add anti Gel to fuels if you live is a place that gets cold. Back in the day it was a problem now, not a big deal. Most dealers will tell you not to add Anti gel to diesel fuel. It already has it in there.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I travel, a lot. Not all states have the winter blends year round, and sometimes it can be a problem.

To the original poster, if your still reading, simply wanted to make you aware that this can be a problem depending on where you live. In your case, being as far north as you are, you probably won't ever have a problem. But if you vacation south for the winter or anything of that nature, it is something first time diesel owners find out the hard way. Personally, I would get the diesel, but for your situation it will be cheaper to get the gasoline engine.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Ive been driving 1ton diesel trucks daily for at least 10 years and i will say that if you arent doing heavy towing regularly (once a week) there is no benefit to a diesel. They are FAR more costly to maintain and when you do have an issue it can get extremely expensive quickly. A oil change/fuel filter change is $100 doing it myself. Diesel costs more then gas in my area by quite a bit as well. The biggest upside to diesel trucks is the resale value is much higher, up to $10k more for a diesel version.
The stuff you plan to tow is all well in the realm of a gas truck so that is what i reccomend
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Diesel or Gas pick-up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Diesel... RANOVRU Chit Chat 22 04-11-2011 10:11 AM
Going Diesel. slobin3d Chit Chat 9 02-23-2011 10:57 AM
diesel fuel... lots of diesel fuel. dieselfuel Chit Chat 15 05-23-2007 11:37 AM