Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Tire Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tire Recommendations

It looks like I'm going to need to get new tires on my Chrysler 200 Touring by spring and since I haven't had to buy passenger car tires in over a decade I'm not sure what's out there any more! I'm looking for a more performance oriented all season tire than the Goodyear Eagle LS2's it came with (I think LS must stand for Low Stick ) The stock size is 225/50TR18 and I would like to bump it up to 235/50R18 and to go to a higher speed rated tire than 118mph, as some of the owners of Avengers and 200s that have pulled the speed limiters with the Diablosport tuners have seen over 150mph out of their cars (including one brave/stupid soul who still had the LS2's on his car!) Main reason for going bigger size and a higher speed rating is that mine has the 283hp V-6 and 6 speed auto with a granny low first gear and traction can be difficult with the stock hockey pucks and the traction is pretty iffy when trying to change directions when driven aggressively. I would like to try and keep things within $175ea as the car will also need an alignment (rear tires are wearing faster than the fronts.......odd for an overpowered FWD with me behind the wheel) when the time comes.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tire Recommendations

I used a set of Nexen n3000s on my s10 w/a remote turbo and a lot of other crap. They were pretty decent, wear was good, traction was fine, side load was something I can't tell you as I was on 235/25/20 on 10 in wide 20's. Rubber bands are thicker than those tires were. I have a set of nexen n6000s on my 18x9s. 225/45/18. They are more of a proper street tire, wear is great, traction is great, and side load is very good. On my Mazda 3. Falkens ziex are horrendous crap. Pirellis are probably out of your price range.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Touring
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Touring

Now these are with 235/45/18, as I wouldn't go wider and stay at 50 sidewall. However it is fine, but I would think your speedo would be out if you stayed at a 50.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

My experience is that Pirelli tires bring the suck and cost too much. Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3's is what I have on my VW. Very happy with them, great traction wet or dry, good wear so far and quiet on the hwy.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
My experience is that Pirelli tires bring the suck and cost too much. Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3's is what I have on my VW. Very happy with them, great traction wet or dry, good wear so far and quiet on the hwy.
Unfortunately there is a price concern, and Michelin's are not synonymous with being a budget friendly tire.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Unfortunately there is a price concern, and Michelin's are not synonymous with being a budget friendly tire.
With a good product, usually comes a pricetag to match. I have never had anything but EXCELLENT experiences with Miche's. They will last forever.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
With a good product, usually comes a pricetag to match. I have never had anything but EXCELLENT experiences with Miche's. They will last forever.
That's fair, but miche biggest feature is its longevity. And you pay for it. A lot comes down to personal preference, I've used a lot of high performance summer and all season tires, and I can say I wouldn't purchase Micheline with my money. I would go to pirelli or continental over Michelin without a thought, but again personal experience and preference.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

I love my GY Eagle GT's on my WRX.
I was looking for a good highway rain/snow tire that would perform on dry pavement too. Love em!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
miche biggest feature is its longevity. And you pay for it.
Yep. Same with BFG. They both use a hard compound. Some folks dont like it.....but I've always driven vehicles that ride like shit to begin with....tires wont help.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, this subject kinda leaves my head spinning, been too damn long and the last good tires I bought like this were BFG Touring T/A's (in 205/60HR15) from Sam's Club way too long ago and I also found some stinkers from Dunlop (205/50VR15) around that same time........and the internet doesn't seem to help things much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I love my GY Eagle GT's on my WRX.
I was looking for a good highway rain/snow tire that would perform on dry pavement too. Love em!
I really like how those tires look and have had good luck with GY Silentarmors on my XJ (P235/75TR15........which oddly, also happen to be a better performing tarmac tire than the LS2's that will need replacing), but can only seem to find those in 245/45WR19........not that I'd be against buying them, but I'd need to bump up to a 19x8 inch rim to install them and bigger rims are out of the question at the moment.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Thanks guys, this subject kinda leaves my head spinning, been too damn long and the last good tires I bought like this were BFG Touring T/A's (in 205/60HR15) from Sam's Club way too long ago and I also found some stinkers from Dunlop (205/50VR15) around that same time........and the internet doesn't seem to help things much.

I really like how those tires look and have had good luck with GY Silentarmors on my XJ (P235/75TR15........which oddly, also happen to be a better performing tarmac tire than the LS2's that will need replacing), but can only seem to find those in 245/45WR19........not that I'd be against buying them, but I'd need to bump up to a 19x8 inch rim to install them and bigger rims are out of the question at the moment.
A good place to start is tire rack. Decent overall selection. There are a lot of factors you can consider, but also a lot of information readily available. If you haven't already check for forums dedicated to your model, and see what they run. Sometimes you get forum deals too
Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Best performance oriented tires I have used are the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=25WR8RE970PP
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Happened to be at the local Sam's Club today and found these, they're only $158 a tire and are what I was looking at size and rating wise.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I love my continental extreme contact dws. They real good for a low pro tire in the winter and ice.(northern Michigan).
rickrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

BFGoodrich*g-Force COMP-2 A/S

I ended up ordering a set of the above tires in 235/50ZR18 today from a Suburban Tire by the store I work at, they're asking $138 a tire and will have them check the rear alignment while they have it on Saturday.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Got the BFG's mounted up today, with alignment and all the associated fees, it came in at just under $800!

The factory installed hockey pucks:

And the new BFG's!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well, here it is with the new rubber as well as a couple older pics to show what the OEM's looked like, whaddya think?!

Last edited by BJoe; 04-14-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Tire Recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body recommendations? Freakshow185 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 11-20-2013 11:20 PM
Recommendations NCSDRacing Newbie General 7 01-17-2012 11:02 PM
Recommendations sabohead Electronics 5 12-19-2010 03:31 PM
Tire recommendations wheely king Newbie General 3 11-14-2007 08:48 AM