Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: any 2nd gen(2005-2012 nissan frontier/pathfinder owners???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default any 2nd gen(2005-2012 nissan frontier/pathfinder owners???

Hey guys,i have an 04 ford f150 standard cab,standard bed,4.6 v8 that i want to trade in,and im starting to do some car shopping and started looking at the 2nd gen nissan frontier's(pathfinder's are practically the same).

im really liking the style,really liking the power,and they come in a crew cab,so ive been searching and they seem to be in my price range.i have found one pretty big problem though,the radiator and trans cooler are built in together and seems like a lot of the time,the antifreeze can mix with the trans fluid and trash a pretty dam expensive trans.i have found an easy fix for that though.

i really didnt want to get into a mid size nor did i want to go down to a 6 banger,but the power it makes is probably more then my v8 so i cant argue with that.PLUS, fullsize pickups that have good mileage,a v8,crew cab,and in decent shape are just as expensive as brand new one's!!!!!

I guess im just looking to get some opinions from anyone thats owned one or works on them or has experienced one.

Thanks for any advice guys,i really appriciate it!!!!!!!! They seem like awsome little trucks!!!!!

Last edited by gearhead79; 02-04-2015 at 04:55 AM.
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: any 2nd gen(2005-2012 nissan frontier/pathfinder owners???

I do know somebody who had one of the Frontiers, it seemed to start rotting kinda fast on him before the block split and he junked it. At one time he was looking at buying the D30 out from under my Sister's then retired old XJ after that had been retired and I couldn't understand why until I talked to an X-Terra owner who told me that the front drive assemblies were kinda fragile, and apparently far more so than a Jeep Dana 30?!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Crap!!!!! Kinda scary . Kinda sucks to hear that but its exactly what im trying to figure out,so thanks bjoe

I keep trying yo do as much research on them as i can,and it seems that they are kinda split down the middle,some love them to death,some cant wait to get rid of them.im still interested in them but for the money id probably be spending on one,i can look into a vehicle ive been dying to get since they first came out,the chevy trailblazer SS.ive loved those things since hotrod mag did a write up on one when they were still prototype's.

So im not sure which way im gonna go,but heres my list
05-present nissan frontier
06-09 chevy trailblazer ss
06-10 ford explorer V8-sport trac or suv
Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've got an '06 Xterra, same running gear underneath as the Frontier. 6 speed manual. 2nd owner, have had it for 6+ years now. I've never had a single mechanical issue with it. I've wore out the front U joint, and have put 3 sets of brakes on it. Not sure how the Frontier compares, but the Xterra eats brakes...I believe they are somewhat undersized for the truck. Stops fine, just wears fast.

It is starting to show it's age a bit, though no obvious rust spots. I've got little areas popping up - especially in the rear where all the salt collects in the winter - but the body and interior are holding up nice. Looks good underneath as well, surprising in the wintery northeast.

Gets up and goes, especially with the 6 speed manual. I had one of the older F150's before with the 302 V8 (stick) and this will leave it in the dust. Do some trailer pulling as well and never have a power problem. I've got a Magnaflow exhaust and K&N intake, and it sounds terrific. I have a set of winter tires I use (i have nice wheels for summer) and they are very aggressive, driving in snow is a non-issue. Imagine a Frontier would be even better with the longer wheelbase.

I was getting about 21mpg in the summer, though with the switch to ethanol 10% I usually get around 18 now. Maybe 19 if I really baby it. Gas mileage was never great. Wasn't expecting it to be really, even with a V6. Still a lot of truck to haul around. About to do the 100k service - new plugs, wires, fluid flush, etc. Might help, those are the originals in there.

Bought it with 30k and now almost at 100K, driveline, steering and suspension are still nice and tight. Some of the interior bits rattle going over rough bumps in cold weather, but far from my F150 which was rattling and thunking with just over 60k on it.

Love my truck, very glad I bought it. I tend to get bored and trade in every few years or so - but keeping this one as long as I can. Might even trade it on a 4-door Frontier eventually so I can swap over all my mods and wheels.

Hope this helps.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Jeeze bud!!!!!!! That really helped,thank you.like my one buddy said,"if you listen to the forums they'll scare you away from it.so if you want it buy it".its awsome to hear that you really like yours!!!! Like i said,i really didnt want to get into a midsize,but they are in my price range,i like them,and they seem to make dang good power!!!! I was thinking,id probably just do a leveling kit,exhaust,cold air,and maybe a tuner.

Thanks again!!!!!! I really appriciate it
Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Not normally a Trailblazer fan, but if I were looking that way, I do dig those and the WK Grand Cherokee SRT8 trucks! Around here, I'd look for the AWD SS (that was the only way to get the SRT) if you plan on driving it year round, although surprisingly, my Sister has been driving her Challenger R/T this winter on the factory 20" "Summer" tires with little more difficulty than her 3.5l V-6 Charger on good 18" Michelin A/S tires gave her! Now that I remember it, one of our cousins has a first gen X-Terra and had a last generation Eldorado/ETC coupe run into her at a light last year. She drove away with some Caddy paint on her hitch and bumper while the Caddy sat there bleeding all over the street in front of it's pretty upset driver!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Believe me,im not the biggest chevy fan,but theres always been something about the trailblazer ss.its either that or nothing as far as im concerned.id love a jeep srt8 but they keep their value.my 2wd f150 has always been dam good in the snow for being a 2wd, but this year it just wasnt having it.so whatever it is i get,im looking for something with 4x4.ive never owned anything with 4x4,so ill give it a shot

any 2nd gen(2005-2012 nissan frontier/pathfinder owners??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nissan Frontier OSRC Tamiya XC/CC01 11 08-30-2014 11:47 PM
Nissan pathfinder balln Micro Scale Rigs 25 10-04-2012 06:28 PM
tyco nissan frontier s14juggalo Paint and Body 2 12-13-2011 05:57 AM
Nissan Frontier 92PathSE 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 02-06-2010 12:46 PM