Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1:1 jeep axle help needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 1:1 jeep axle help needed.

Welp I am ready to buy a new toy and have been looking at the tj's and have found a couple around here kinda cheap but I cant get over the stock dana 30 front axles I am needing advice from the people on here who actualy wheel that have had them.I have allready looked at the warn hub conversion and the HD warn axles I really dont want to buy the tj then go to the hassle of finding a dana 44 and swaping it in right off the bat.I am only really looking at light trail duty and mud mostly.I wont go over a 35 inch tire either.I may get brave and do some trails at tellico but nothing to nasty I have 2 sammys for that. SO whats the trouble you have had and for what I'm looking for is a dana 44 really worth it?
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Not only a D30, but a LP D30.:-(
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I wouldn't worry about the Dana 30 front as much as the Dana 35 rear if that is what it has. It mite be a Dana 44 rear but they are mostly Dana 35 rears. I have see a lot of people running 35" tires on the Dana 30's with out much problem but if you run 35" tires on the Dana 35 then you are asking for problems.
Mr. Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
Welp I am ready to buy a new toy and have been looking at the tj's and have found a couple around here kinda cheap but I cant get over the stock dana 30 front axles I am needing advice from the people on here who actualy wheel that have had them.I have allready looked at the warn hub conversion and the HD warn axles I really dont want to buy the tj then go to the hassle of finding a dana 44 and swaping it in right off the bat.I am only really looking at light trail duty and mud mostly.I wont go over a 35 inch tire either.I may get brave and do some trails at tellico but nothing to nasty I have 2 sammys for that. SO whats the trouble you have had and for what I'm looking for is a dana 44 really worth it?

Aren't the front Dana 30's the HP30 in the TJ's? If so that's better than the low pinion 30, like what's in my ZJ. My sister's boyfriends XJ still has the HP30 up front, locker & running 35's. It get's DD'ed and wheeled nearly every weekend. That's his last week link though.

Just as long as you get a TJ with the rear 44 you only have one axle to upgrade
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Adilynsdad too!

I had a 97 TJ with a front 30. I was running 35s with ARB lockers f/r and snaped two axles. I swapped in a 44 and was running 37s and never had a problem. The 44 swap was well worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I wouldnt even come close to RENTING a jeep with anything less than a dana 44 rear in it much less buying one.I have found 3 that I'm really looking hard at and all 3 do have the dana 44 rears in them and all are autos with the 4.0.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Find a Rubicon in a parking lot and nab the axles, both 44s, with electric lockers... Problem solved. The housings for the Rubicon 44s have all the same tabs and mounting postions so it's not a huge transition, also the have the same lug pattern which can be a problem sometimes. My 30 front has held up to alot of abuse, but I have cryoed axle shafts and 4:88 gears (installed by previous owner) I would have spent the money to upgrade to a 44 front, but it hasn't broken yet so no need to fix it. The most cost effective way to upgrade your stock unit would be to buy the supershaft conversion, and go with the Warn hub/lockout conversion. Call Randy's Ring and Pinion's help line, number should be online, they know all this stuff inside and out!
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
Adilynsdad too!

I ordered a 2007 jk rubicon unlimited 4 door. It won't get here now until April

because of the recalls on the hardtops. The salesman ask why I would'nt

take the Sahara he had on the lot. He said they were basicly the same.

Damn salesmen!
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Stock Dana 30 will do fine. The newer Dana 30 have the same size U-Joints has Dana 44's. I ran a Dana 30 in my YJ with 36in TSL SX's oh and it was Locked. Never once Broke it. Ran it for 5 years. Then I swaped in a Dana 44 when I went to 38's. Like you already know. Just find one with a 44 rear.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
chb

I’m running 33-13.5 on my trail rig and haven’t had many problems with the Dana 35 in the rear and a 30 up front and both are locked. I did snap the ears of the right axle shaft but I’m happy how they have been performing. If you go with a Dana 30, make sure you get one with the larger U joints (same as a 44) like ran2jeepn mentioned. I noticed that years very on this. They even came on the early 90’s. If I’m not mistaken the shaft dia. is the same as a 44 but the spline count is different (don’t quote me on that one.) Make sure the Dana 30 is NOT a vacuum disconnect. This is a week point in the axle. You can always get an axle out of a non vacuum disconnect to beef it up but the housing will still be weaker then a non vacuum housing. All in all it depends on your driving style. If you know when to gas it and when not to they’ll hold up. If you can get a dana 44 front and rear, go with that. Heres a pic of what kind of trail riding I do. I thought the axles would have been the first thing to break but instead it’s been the tranny, transfer case and a blown rod thru the engine.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
R.I.P. Chip

I have a TJ with a bunch of upgrades, it could be for sale;)
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Send me a pm with pics and a price tag PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad
I ordered a 2007 jk rubicon unlimited 4 door. It won't get here now until April

because of the recalls on the hardtops.
What recalls!!!??? Wifey and I were just looking @ a couple of Jeeps, the Unlimited 4 door and the Liberty. She suprised me and said she likes the Unlimited better. Why the recalls? I hadn't heard anything.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Aren't the front Dana 30's the HP30 in the TJ's? If so that's better than the low pinion 30, like what's in my ZJ. My sister's boyfriends XJ still has the HP30 up front, locker & running 35's. It get's DD'ed and wheeled nearly every weekend. That's his last week link though.

Just as long as you get a TJ with the rear 44 you only have one axle to upgrade
you'd think that the tj's would get the HP dana 30, but nope. the HP was only available in the cherocars and cherowagons.
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIT_TLT
you'd think that the tj's would get the HP dana 30, but nope. the HP was only available in the cherocars and cherowagons.
I pulled one out of a cherotruck and bolted it right into my TJ ;)
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i forgot about those unibody rigs. i dont really trust a wheeler that doesnt have a separate frame and body. its just me
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIT_TLT
i forgot about those unibody rigs. i dont really trust a wheeler that doesnt have a separate frame and body. its just me

Yet you have wheeled you Scoobi-roo... unibody. Your chevy dances around on it's frame, freaky!!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

XJ HP 30 housing with the Superior "super 30" kit is the way to go for staying with a 30. Great ground clearance and the same size shafts as the D44.

All XJ, TJ, MJ, ZJ front axles will bolt up suspension wise. Select track equipped XJs should all be HP and non-disconnect. Somewhere around 94 Jeep got rid of the disconnect for Command track too. Also around this time (1994) Jeep started using the bigger D44 front u joint, Dana P/N 5-297x now known as the 5-760X cold forged unit.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

this is my dads club. youll find some good info in it

www.offcamber4wd.org
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

LP D30s were required on TJs for clearance to exhaust. With 3" or so of lift a HPD30 is a good bolt in swap when regearing the rear axle. You can find housings off an old XJ just about for free.

For light trail duty, don't worry about the D30 front. I'm locked w/ an Aussie and run 33s. No problems. The outers are what is going to snap and as said before, they are the same as a D44. Also, if your only doing light trails the ground clearance issue shouldn't be a problem. Just drag your chit over the rocks.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote