Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: RWD sedan with MANUAL trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RWD sedan with MANUAL trans

I'm without a car for the first time ever. Just sold my 6sp. Mazda6 over the summmer, and the Miata weekend toy went in Oct.. I miss it already! '99 with only 70k on it, doubt I'll ever find one in as good a shape.

I had a Civic as a DD, but traded it in on an '06 Xterra 6sp when my first child came along... I still love this Xterra as much as the day I test drove it. When it came down to getting rid of the old X or the new Mazda6, I didn't even hesitate - the 6 was gone! I've never had a vehicle this long - over 10 years now. I usually trade them in long before that! 113k on it and running strong.

I also semi-inherited my pop's 2003 F150 FX4... he doesn't drive and it was parked in the yard rotting away. It's got some issues, but since it has 23k on it, it's worth fixing up. Runs and drives like new. Auto though, it kinda sucks.

Long story short, after being a car guy all my life, with Mustangs and Miatas, I've embraced the truck life too. It's not a bad way to go!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

thanks for the sanity check fellas.
i have been a car guy my whole life but have owned a few "not cars". i feel like i can get my fix with my sons 66 vette (willed to him by my father, sort of a family joke) if i feel the need for something low-slung and manual.
previous other "not cars" include:

1965 El Camino (given to me at age 16 by my grandfather who was the original owner)
2002 Tahoe Z71 (LOVED this but my wife got rid of it while i was deployed so she could get a...)
2010 Tahoe LT
2015 jeep grand Cherokee limited 2wd (inherited from my wife after i traded in my scion FRS so she could get a...)
2018 honda pilot EX-L AWD (at least its AWD?)

i really liked the Z71 Tahoe. plan was to use that as the camping/towing rig but my wife was driving it daily and complained that it "makes noise" uhh yeah its a TRUCK. i was driving a 2002 lexus GS300 at the time. it was nearly perfect only missing a manual trans. she sold both while i was gone so she could get a new Tahoe. i begged her to at least find a used 2007 (first year with revised IFS) but she instead decided to spend $40k instead of $25k... anyway that's for a different thread...
i don't mind trucks and driving this grand Cherokee has kinda spoiled me. driving is so much easier when i don't have to worry about things like "is my bumper going to clear that pebble ahead??"
if the right 4 door manual sedan jumps out and slaps me i will maybe get it (including the civic Si that my son swears is the answer to all of my problems lol) but im also going to look pretty hard at trucks since my wife said it would be nice to get a trailer and some toys to haul out to the desert. that caught me way off guard as she is the frugal type and never says anything about large purchases like that and never really showed interest in dirtbikes before. but im all about it! plus i would have a decent rig to bring out to proline by the fire hahaha
it makes more sense from a family standpoint too so we can all get out and enjoy the great outdoors. where as with a sedan we would be pretty limited (pile into the pilot for a 1 day trip)

oh adding to this is also the fact i am retiring from the navy next year. i have a good lead on a job but our income after next years is...? so that makes the vehicle search a bit more nerve-wracking.

i will post here if anything happens, but at this point... who knows?!?!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
bob i don't see a second pair of door handles lol but yeah i think something in the last decade is best for a daily.

as for a focus RS you mean those things with transmissions bolted to a hand grenade? and AWD in my book is equal to FWD. cant kick the rear out and to me AWD just doesn't feel right when im pushing the limits. i don't know what end will go where.
yes this will be able to fit the family but when the kids are away, daddy will play!

not sure if you all are following the conversation on the RC4WD Desert Runner but... the ultimate fun haver is starting to grow on me hahaha

so remember when i said this?

well...

umm... YES PLEASE.

official release qtr 1 2019. its like they KNEW...
https://www.rtrvehicles.com/pages/f-150-rtr

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
so remember when i said this?

well...

umm... YES PLEASE.

official release qtr 1 2019. its like they KNEW...
https://www.rtrvehicles.com/pages/f-150-rtr

The ecoboost is a fun motor. I have one in my 2014 F150 with a tune and its an absolute monster with a trailer behind it.

The 2017-2019 are the gen 2 3.5L ecoboost with 10 speed trans and will put down 450+ rwhp tune only and can run deep into the 12’s in the 1/4 mile. The 18 and 19 have slightly larger turbos than the 2017. They are pretty light for a truck, an XLT 4x4 will run just over 5000 lbs and a 2x4 will be a couple hundred under 5000.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

But its just some "bro" mods with a catback exhaust. With the exception of coilovers..

I think a factory truck would be better to start with, you could modify it to how YOU want it to look amd sound.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

you are both absolutely SPOT ON.

i looked at the parts list from the RTR (available right from the RTR website), and it really is just fender flares, lights, exhaust, and some $1,200 fox coilovers. i haven't been able to find any price info yet but i bet its over $55k (its built on a lariat).
so at this point im looking on the ford website and a base (XL) supercrew shortbox, 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4 locking diff, tow packg, and power windows. it came out to the low side of $41k with lease estimate of $380/mo before discounts. that's about $70/mo less than my current hand-me-down jeep.
i already have enough set aside after selling my scion FRS aftermarket parts to get a nice set of wheels and tires (33's?). maybe even those fox coilovers?

huh.

maybe i'll go back to the dealer this weekend...?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

41k? Damn.. Id rather go buy an old f350.

But yeah, go back to the dealer and see what you would really pay for one. Online prices can be a bit high sometimes.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
you are both absolutely SPOT ON.

i looked at the parts list from the RTR (available right from the RTR website), and it really is just fender flares, lights, exhaust, and some $1,200 fox coilovers. i haven't been able to find any price info yet but i bet its over $55k (its built on a lariat).
so at this point im looking on the ford website and a base (XL) supercrew shortbox, 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4 locking diff, tow packg, and power windows. it came out to the low side of $41k with lease estimate of $380/mo before discounts. that's about $70/mo less than my current hand-me-down jeep.
i already have enough set aside after selling my scion FRS aftermarket parts to get a nice set of wheels and tires (33's?). maybe even those fox coilovers?

huh.

maybe i'll go back to the dealer this weekend...?
Getting ~20% off of MSRP should not be an issue if you time it right. I paid $42k for my fully loaded Lariat supercrew 4x4 that MSRP'd for almost $56k.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

again, both spot on.
didn't have time to hit dealerships this weekend, had a lot going on.

as for taking that $41k and putting it all on a used super duty, yeah in a perfect world that makes sense. i have even looked for used F150's for around $20k and its possible but miles are high and i cant find one CPO.
im really picky about what trim/packages i want, and i seem to want the impossible combination of low miles and low price. only place to get that... the dirty used car lot. cant stand the fly by night places that pop up and disappear where i live. san diego is notoriously bad because we have all the military that used car lots LOVE ripping off.

anyway... yeah there are incentives nd specials i need to look at when i go to the dealer, and also the $500 credit for military. but from what it looks like (also a solid maybe from the chat i had on the dealer website) if i want an XL with the packages i want, including the 3.5 ecoboost, might be a custom build. i might be better off finding an XLT already equipped with a 3.5 on the lot they could discount deeper than an XL. just need the payment lower than $430/mo.

so.. again, wait and see.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

$430 a month.. ouch. well.. im biting the bullet on the car we have right now. $306 a month and we couldn't refinance because it was to late.

see if you can get that xlt cheaper.

but remember, if you don't want that payment.. look for a older superdoody powerchoke. they last.

or a Silverado.. lol. im still staring at em even though im a ford guy.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Remember I live in taxland aka California... :(
Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

im sorry man.. you get any money through the VA? I use what I get for the car payment and car insurance.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Have you considered a RAM? You might be able to find a RAM 2500 with the diesel and a 6MT sitting in the back lots for a super discount rate. They don't sell as well and tend to sit longer than the regular automatic trucks.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

thanks again. not getting VA monies yet as im not quite retired. got a year and change. any i get will go towards house payment. my pension alone wont cover a house in san diego. but that's for another thread...

as for a dodge... ehhh don't take it personal but mopar has never really... doesn't jive with me. i like my current jeep just fine (just because comfy), but... eh. craziest thing i ever did was crawl up a curb in a tight parking space next thing i know, bushings are shot and whole driver side suspension needed replacement. (including a shock??) really??? from a curb at 0.0008 mph?

"hey shinchu, you should get a mopar product"
me:

meanwhile I've been looking at aftermarket stuff for F-150's. 17x9 wheels and some 34's maybe? need to re-gear always fun with 4x4. looking at some overland builds for inspiration. oh and at very least a ~2" leveling kit. just for clearance while i save for better "real" suspension.

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-26-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Last year when I got back from Qatar I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket! I looked HIGH and LOW for a RWD V8 sedan. Found myself circling around the Pontiac G8 GT and the newer Chevrolet SS. Finding a G8 GT with a manual was hard enough and the few I did find were selling for high 20's or low 30's!!! I looked at one Chevrolet SS here locally but couldn't bring myself to pay the $55k the dealer was asking. In the end I bought a new 2018 Camaro SS 1LE and a 2012 Jetta TDI, both manual. I'm happy now lol. I have the Jetta for daily duties and the Camaro for nice days.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Nice!
Yeah one xoyld go insane searching for a v8 manual RWD sedan. And you are correct a g8 manual is hard to find and the ss are a bit pricey.
But man a 1LE Camaro out here in Cali is just as much as an ss sedan. Or more.

In the end I realize I have a perfectly good go-fast sitting in the garage already. True, I am more timid driving a classic that was my father's, but he would love to see me hoon that like I stole it instead of just hording it. He always said I was a way better driver than him. Seems fitting.

Anyway ford called me Saturday saying they had the perfect truck for me. Of course they did... Lol
Guy emailed me the specs.
2017 super crew xlt 4x4
Black
6 speed auto.

The last 3 things were not what I wanted.
But I decided to reward his reaching out to me with a visit on Sunday.
I get there and the salesman and I look for the truck on 2 lots with no joy.
Wth man?! Why am I here?
He finally makes some calls and turns out a manager drove it home.
ARE YOU LOT INSANE??! you tell a customer the perfect truck is here and take it off the dealership for a whole 24+ hours?! Guess you dont want a sale??
I have then on the ropes at this point.
In desperation and or frantic stupidity, another salesman tries to salvage the situation. He says oh if you want the 3.5 ecoboost in a super crew xlt 4x4, we have one coming VERY soon. Is a 2018 ok? It Will either be white silver or grey. I will find out Monday (today as I type this). Oh and we can get it down to $35k.
I'm like man I guess. Nice engine. When you find out the color get in touch with me.

Well its Monday night and still no call.

I will give them until Tuesday afternoon, it was hard enough keeping a pokerface because that's EXACTLY what I want.

So yeah that's where I'm at with the truck. Will let you all know what happens next.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Tell em you hate it, $32 or no deal. pokerface strong. you know... the 1,000 mile stare.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Hope you get what you want. I have to off one of my beaters, 93 extra cab yota 3.slow and maybe my hooniwagon lolvo. Then I can consider what you just got rid of. I'm looking for a white FRS or 86 with less than 36k, with a Man trans. What service you in? VA money doesn't come in for 4-7 months till you separate as long as you file all your claims asap. Good luck!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Default RWD sedan with MANUAL trans

Quote:
thanks again. not getting VA monies yet as im not quite retired. got a year and change. any i get will go towards house payment. my pension alone wont cover a house in san diego. but that's for another thread...

as for a dodge... ehhh don't take it personal but mopar has never really... doesn't jive with me. i like my current jeep just fine (just because comfy), but... eh. craziest thing i ever did was crawl up a curb in a tight parking space next thing i know, bushings are shot and whole driver side suspension needed replacement. (including a shock??) really??? from a curb at 0.0008 mph?

"hey shinchu, you should get a mopar product"
me:

meanwhile I've been looking at aftermarket stuff for F-150's. 17x9 wheels and some 34's maybe? need to re-gear always fun with 4x4. looking at some overland builds for inspiration. oh and at very least a ~2" leveling kit. just for clearance while i save for better "real" suspension.

You shouldn’t need a regear if you get the 10 speed unless you go huge on the tires. Im running 33’s on my 2014 with the 6 speed and it barely noticed, although i do have factory 3.73’s which you cannot really get anymore. The boost makes enough low end torque.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I'm hoping for 10 speed and 3.55 e locker.
That's as good as it gets. And yeah if I get that I shouldnt need a regear Just flash for Speedo.

Dealership still fumbling like a teenager on prom night trying to unclasp his dates bra.
Went back on Friday when they said the truck would arrive.
Dude is like oh hey I was just about to call you.
Sure buddy.
Anyway take me put to the lot to find it. 20 minutes of wandering he calls the office to ask where it is.
Some discussion happens.
He gets off his phone and apologizes. There was a mix up and turns out it was a 2wd they got.
I turned on my heel and said I guess we're done here.
He literally runs after me and says they are getting a 4x4 next week. I said fine you have my info call me when it gets here.
He says something like yeah the 4x4s sell so fast sometimes they are sild before they get here.
I said well then wtf are we doing lets sell me one that hasnt arrived yet!! Hello mcfly!!!!!!
Then backpeddles saying oh well it actually was here but not for long.
jeebus dude... I said well what do we know about the one next week? Specs?
Not much my boss just said its on the way.
From where? Can we get apecs from them?
No I dont know if we can. My boss gets our used stuff from enterprise...
ENTERPRISE??? Ok it better be dirt cheap if you are selling me a rental. Call me when you get any info.
So now I wait.
And while I do that I'm going to another dealership. These guys couldnt sell thier way out of a wet paper bag.

ENTERPRISE... Jee...zus.
So I went to enterprise used cars and pulled up 4x4 f150 super crew with 3.5 and dude said it was probably silver.
3 popped up from california that matched. All at mid 20k miles and none over $30k.
I'm printing that and brining it with me. IF I go back. All depends on what I get for trade in and how good the warranty is. They better give me aome good numbers.

Enterprise...

RWD sedan with MANUAL trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a MOA 1:1 sedan! infodragon Chit Chat 6 10-10-2014 08:05 PM
Manual trans rant 70ford390 Chit Chat 34 11-12-2012 08:31 AM
new Bugatti family sedan STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 23 08-27-2012 02:33 PM
Manual or automatic Trans? slobin3d Chit Chat 55 12-14-2011 06:12 AM