Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Spark Plugs for Chrysler 3.6l V-6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spark Plugs for Chrysler 3.6l V-6

Does anybody here have a car, truck or van with Chrysler's 3.6l (or 3.2l) Pentastar V-6 that is old enough to have had the plugs replaced yet?

My 200 is now over 100k miles and I plan on changing plugs in the spring (along with a couple breathing mods) and was wondering who has done the work and what plugs you used.

Thanks
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Spark Plugs for Chrysler 3.6l V-6

Our 3.6 '14 Durango went over 100k last year. I agonized over plugs because, at least in that car, it requires most of the injection system be removed to access the driver's side bank. While it pained me since I've done all my own maintenance for 40 years, my time is worth way more than the $125 the stealership wanted to replace plugs so I let them do it and stayed with the stock Mopar plugs.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Our 3.6 '14 Durango went over 100k last year. I agonized over plugs because, at least in that car, it requires most of the injection system be removed to access the driver's side bank. While it pained me since I've done all my own maintenance for 40 years, my time is worth way more than the $125 the stealership wanted to replace plugs so I let them do it and stayed with the stock Mopar plugs.
The upper intake does come off, but you don’t need to remove the fuel system parts unless injectors are being replaced or the lower intake manifold is getting swapped for a ported original lower or being swapped for the lower that is now going on the vehicles with Auto Start-Stop, which apparently will outflow what our Pentastars have, but after being ported for more airflow! The P.U.G. Lower Manifold not only will outflow the original designs as molded, but even those with a few hundred dollars worth of massaging for better flow, all for less than $150

Only real concern I have on my car is that with the engine being transverse, the 3 plugs in the right bank might be tough to access
Old 01-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

I'd do a search and find yourself a service manual online for this car. I don't often search for cars, but I've found the service manual online for every motorcycle I've owned. I always buy the manuals because I prefer to have them in print in front of me while I'm working, but finding the manual online will give you a great idea.

As far as plugs go, I don't have a specific recommendation. Spark plugs just last these days. Stock plugs are fine just usually overpriced.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I realize this is an old thread, but I'll just add that I learned my lesson on using fancy spark plugs and will just stick to OE or at least what they recommend. I've stuck Iridiums and Split Fires (dont think they even make those anymore) in a few different vehicles and ATVs and they end up running like crap. I would replace them with OE and they ran perfect again. My Mazda was the worst since the intake had to come off.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I'll just add that I learned my lesson on using fancy spark plugs and will just stick to OE or at least what they recommend. I've stuck Iridiums and Split Fires (dont think they even make those anymore) in a few different vehicles and ATVs and they end up running like crap. I would replace them with OE and they ran perfect again. My Mazda was the worst since the intake had to come off.
Most non euro cars do not do well with the Bosch platinum 4s.
Ive put irridiums only into Japanese cars with great results
At least that has been my experience. Ive been replacing mine with oem or comparable "normal" plugs.
Wires I did upgrade because they were cheaper for my BF230 motor.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Last time I had the car in for an oil change they found that the oil cooler and filter housing was leaking, so it’s there for that and A/C condenser replacement as well as front struts (all covered under the MaxCare extended warranty!), so I said to do the plugs while the intake is off. The rear shocks aren’t under that warranty and they want $900 to do the rears(?!), so I found that Mickey Thompson/KYB offer prebuilt rear struts that are R&R to swap out for now then look at BC Racing Coilover’s later on so it it has better than stock, which Coilover Depot shows at $1250 for all 4 corners then is currently discounted to $995.

Last edited by BJoe; 09-18-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Finally got my 200 back today, the struts took longer than expected to arrive. Because my hours this week lined up with my hours this week so my Dad and Sister (and niece) went to get the car today. Dad drove it home and thought it felt stronger and more responsive, but attributed it to being behind the wheel vs riding shotgun. After I was done, we took it to the Sonic a ways north of here, it does run smoother, start easier, respond better and pull harder, enough that if chirped the left front while turning in that direction, now breaks grip on the 1-2 shift and sounds better at idle and under throttle!

I’ve got the MSD Coils for the Pentastars as well as the auto start/stop lower intake I mentioned and RPM Motorsports intake tube to go on it now that it’s home.’ After it broke traction on the 1-2 shift on a hard pull, Dad said “If this is just with the plugs, wonder how it would be with the coils too?!”, when I reminded him of the intake parts, he responded “Forgot about those!”

Things could get interesting once those go on

Spark Plugs for Chrysler 3.6l V-6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got a question for mechanics, Chrysler in particular. BJoe Chit Chat 6 05-17-2012 08:05 PM
How 'bout those Chrysler drunks.... Offroader5 Chit Chat 7 09-24-2010 10:04 PM
Chrysler Eritex Inc. Chit Chat 27 12-20-2008 08:15 AM
G.M & Chrysler?? racerx Chit Chat 10 02-17-2007 09:39 AM