Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Woohoo! New truck time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Woohoo! New truck time!

11 years ago I bought this with 120k on it. A 2000 Montero Sport.

It's served me extremely well and has been my primary vehicle. Other than general maintenance, I've hardly had to touch it. The only things that have "broken" are the ac compressor and the passengers side cv shaft. Last week it turned 280k.

I'd been mulling over finding a replacement because I just wasn't comfortable taking it very far away from home anymore, but never really found anything that I liked. Truth be told, I wanted another one just like it but in better condition.

Also last week, while the Montero was creeping ever closer to 300k, we got this in on trade at work.

I borrowed it for a quick trip into Missouri and fell in love. Apart from not having a sunroof, it's everything the Montero was and more. With 150k on the odo and offered to me at well below book, I scrambled for a loan and took the Monteros younger, hotter cousin (aka 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5) home.

Plus it's got a Party Mode button.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Woohoo! New truck time!

Party mode? Nitrous on a 4Runner ought to be sweet!!

She looks clean for sure!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Yeah, I wasn't sure what it was when I saw it. Turns out that it shifts the audio balance towards the back and boosts the bass. Apparently it's handy when you've got the liftgate open and want to jam out with your bros.

It seems to do a bit more than that though. Loud as hell and mixes good with metal.

It is clean, inside and out. I would say less than expected amounts of wear and tear. Apart from some dog hair and a handful of fish crackers under the back seats, the interior was incredibly clean. The outside has a couple of small dings and scratches, but nothing surprising.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Holy shiz, it’s really a party button. Ha! I thought it was a 4wd button/knob.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Suck it up!

I thought maybe it had something to do with the 4wd system. There's a lot of buttons in this truck, and a lot of reading involved. The owners manual is bigger than my local phone book.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

4 Runners are beautiful. Nice choice. Being a Toyota you should be able to even better the mileage you put on the Montero.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
4 Runners are beautiful. Nice choice. Being a Toyota you should be able to even better the mileage you put on the Montero.
I expect that I will.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Welcome to the yota fam.

My Lexus just passed 100k last month, 07 and runs like new. Sick truck, Dude. Party mode button is sick.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Absolutely great vehicle to own. No sunroof is pretty rare and adds a lot of head room space if you're tall. One of the best owner forums is t4r.org.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Absolutely great vehicle to own. No sunroof is pretty rare and adds a lot of head room space if you're tall. One of the best owner forums is t4r.org.
I signed up a few days ago and have been lurking and reading the 5th Gen section at every opportunity, tons of good info there for sure.

The sunroof is missed, but the rear window is nice.

I don't think that a better replacement for the Monty could be had. I keep finding new things to like about it. Toyotas high resale values are justified IMO.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

5th Gen is what I'm aspiring to step up to within the next 2 years. I love my 3rd gen but after test driving a newer 'Runner the small amount of extra interior space is exactly what I need.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Over 240,000 miles on my '99 4Runner. Enjoy and congrats!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
5th Gen is what I'm aspiring to step up to within the next 2 years. I love my 3rd gen but after test driving a newer 'Runner the small amount of extra interior space is exactly what I need.
3rd gens are cool, I was eyeballing one at a local lot.

They are pretty roomy. My son is 6'1" and fits in the backseat comfortably.

So I've been thinking about mods and haven't found any I like. Sure the offroad stuff is cool, but 99% of my drivetime is going to be on pavement, so all of that cool stuff would be a waste. Boring, I know, but it is what it is. My short list of wants...

Ventvisors - Since I'm a smoker, I'm big on letting my vehicles air out when I'm not in them. I hate the smell of baked in cigarette smoke. Should have them on this weekend.

Window tint - The front windows need to be darker. Not stupid dark, just darker.

Speakers - I don't have the super cool system, but it's not bad. I've read that a simple speaker upgrade makes a huge difference, and if I don't go crazy it shouldn't hurt the pocketbook too hard.

Exhaust - who doesn't like a little bit of burble out of the tailpipe? Toyota, apparently. Most systems I've heard so far sound like it's being powered by a sickly 4 cyl with bent valves and a CAI held on with a coat hanger. I'll pass for now...
Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Exhaust on a v6 were never my favorite. Almost always end up with a weird raspy shit sound.

My shortlist would be sounds system and power adders if possible.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Exhaust on a v6 were never my favorite. Almost always end up with a weird raspy shit sound.

My shortlist would be sounds system and power adders if possible.

I thought about power adders but there isn't much worth having unless I want to pony up $6k for a supercharger. There's the usual bolt ons, but power increases are negligible. Thorley makes headers for $600, but then you've got to delete the cats, build new exhaust, and retune the ecu. More trouble than it's worth IMO.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #16

That style 4Runner and Taco have always been my favorite. Nice ride.

I've never owned a Mitsu, but, man, does the reliability of their engines get dogged online. 300K says otherwise. But people love to dog American engines as well and they'll last nearly as long with proper care.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That style 4Runner and Taco have always been my favorite. Nice ride.

I've never owned a Mitsu, but, man, does the reliability of their engines get dogged online. 300K says otherwise. But people love to dog American engines as well and they'll last nearly as long with proper care.
Well....proper care ended at the 220k mark. If it's lucky it got an oil change once a year after that.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Interesting thing that I've read about with the 5th gens is that most of the suspension pieces inter-swap from the FJ cruiser for a cheap, but functional, budget lift if that's your thing. I liked the low end grunt of the 4.0 compared to the 3.4 in my 'runner.

A good set of shocks can make anything a more pleasant driving experience. The removable sleeping platforms are a nice, inexpensive thing to build to make the 'runners more flexible to use as a base camp of sorts.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Dang....3 months already. Time flies when you're middle aged.

Got 3/4 of my short mod list completed. Vent Visors on, dr/ps windows tinted to match the existing privacy glass, and a couple of audio upgrades.

After a week or so of fussing around with some 20yr old audio gear I had stashed away, I broke down and bought new. In the back I've got a Fosgate P1 10" sub in a sealed box powered by a Blaupunkt 1500w mono amp. Both were surprisingly affordable (about $65 ea shipped) and exactly what I needed. Up front I replaced the dash speakers with a pair of 3.5" Powerbass coaxials ($20 shipped). Cheap, but effective. They aren't as good as I had hoped, but they're better than stock. No regerts.

Quite a bit of time has been spent cleaning up the exterior, mainly removing scratches and road tar and bug guts, and giving it a good polish and wax job. If you own a black vehicle, I highly recommend the Turtle Wax Black Box. Cleaner/polish, wax, and spray detailer all with black dye in them. It makes a huge difference as it doesn't leave white residue in/on everything. Pair those with a dual-action polisher and pads from Harbor Freight, and you'll have a long, sweaty, but ultimately shiny weekend.

Thusfar my only real complaint is the all-too-common 60mph steering wheel shimmy. It really only happens after its been sitting overnight and disappears after a few miles, so it's not a big deal. The fix is hit or miss so I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 09-01-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Finally had a break in the cold weather, and the garage was nice enough to stand around in for a while, so I made some new shifters. Just waiting on the proper taps to show up so I can finish and install them.

Woohoo! New truck time! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My boys first time with a rc truck Tacoma303 Micro Scale Rigs 2 03-27-2015 02:44 PM
New Truck Time... RANOVRU Chit Chat 9 04-07-2011 08:55 AM
Time for a rebuild.... Scale truck this time.... msd44 New Mexico 36 02-13-2011 10:32 PM
Got my truck built and outside for the first time. ctruss Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 02-03-2008 12:25 PM
Time for a new truck bed Cole82 Chit Chat 35 01-13-2007 12:33 PM