Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: 1:1 Turbo Miata AKA "my other obsession"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Default 1:1 Turbo Miata AKA "my other obsession"

So I guess someone leaked a mention about my other obsession (yes I feel like you CAN have more than one at time). Prior to recently getting into RC crawling, I spent 6 years obsessed with a Miata. Someone else may or may not have asked for pics so I figured i would post something real quick.

I hope to spend a lot of time here learning about the ins an outs of RC crawling and total 10th scale obsessed projects. I may eventually even get brave enough to show what I have learned here in other threads. But will more than likely be lurking and asking questions for a while!

So here is my car, and a bit of info.

It is a 1992 Miata with a 1.6 that now breaths through a T25 turbo off a Nissan SR20 DET engine. It also has a more complex than necessary air to water inter-cooler just because...

Miatardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1:1 Turbo Miata AKA "my other obsession"

I've never been an on-road guy (though I surround myself with them) but that looks like it would be a heck of a lot of fun on a tight autocross course!

I used to work next door to Monster Miata (home of the small block Ford V8 swaps) in San Marcos, CA and they changed the way I looked at small sports cars forever. Too bad I don't fit in them!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I can attest to the fact that when the loud pedal is pressed on this "Black & Tan" wee little beastie, it flat scoots!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sick Miata! Do you track it?

G
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by utieh View Post
Sick Miata! Do you track it?

G
Thank you.

I do not track it though I am about 20 minutes away from COTA, and there are 2 other country club style small tracks within 30 minutes of my house. I really can't justify the cost of tracking it.

I have autocrossed a few times before going turbo, however 40 bucks for 5 minutes of driving and 4 hours of standing in the sun isn't up my alley.

There is also a local RallyCross site here. I have thought about going out and playing at least one time int he dirt.

I have touched a drag strip for exactly 1 pass. Ran sub 9's at about 90 mph in the 8th. Have thought about returning but nothing is broken in the rear end and I would like to keep it that way! lol

I do REALLY REALLY enjoy fast paced corner carving and probably spend a few hours every month or so screaming around the back roads.

TLDR: Thank you, I do not track it. It is more of a daily driver/back roads fin car!
Miatardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I understand the frustration of A/X, I still like it though, mine has a completely stock engine, which is fine for that purpose, and it's not too hard on the car. I do track it a couple of times a year, and I can feel how painful the straight is for that tiny engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatardo View Post
Thank you.

I do not track it though I am about 20 minutes away from COTA, and there are 2 other country club style small tracks within 30 minutes of my house. I really can't justify the cost of tracking it.

I have autocrossed a few times before going turbo, however 40 bucks for 5 minutes of driving and 4 hours of standing in the sun isn't up my alley.

There is also a local RallyCross site here. I have thought about going out and playing at least one time int he dirt.

I have touched a drag strip for exactly 1 pass. Ran sub 9's at about 90 mph in the 8th. Have thought about returning but nothing is broken in the rear end and I would like to keep it that way! lol

I do REALLY REALLY enjoy fast paced corner carving and probably spend a few hours every month or so screaming around the back roads.

TLDR: Thank you, I do not track it. It is more of a daily driver/back roads fin car!
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

nice!
i was one who asked for pics. thanks for posting! i currently have an FRS on coilovers and feels very similar to the miata (just slightly bigger). i actually learned how to drive stick on a 1.6 miata back when it was only a couple years old. i always thought they are neat and capable little cars. GREAT for a project! very affordable, the dollar-per-weee factor is excellent with aftermarket support.
nice choice in turbo, too. those should be easy to replace since most people who swap SR20DET into... i almost said 240sx but those engines get swapped in all kinds of stuff now. anyway people upgrade the turbos so the stock ones should be easy to find.
i had a few S chassis Nissans too. only 1 had an SR20 though, and it was a greddy upgraded (t518z turbine) 400hp monster!
about to go back to Nissan, baby #3 on the way, the little FRS will NOT be practical and barely is now. trying to find a manual transmission equipped infiniti G37 sedan ;)

theletterJ i grew up in vista/Oceanside (10 min down the 78 fwy from san marcos), and was reading sport compact car magazine when i saw the article for Monster Miata in San Marcos. then i realized one of their first swaps is what i saw/heard cruising around my neighborhood months earlier. it was confusing back then to hear a V8 and not able to figure out where it was coming from because the only car moving was a little miata!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My ex-girlfriend had a 1.6 Miata, I used to borrow it and drive it like a maniac... so much fun, even bone stock.

Before that an old room-mate of mine also had one, but he wouldn't let anyone else drive it... the only car he'd had before buying it new was an ancient Dodge Diplomat, so I completely understood his attitude!

Somewhat later on, another good friend bought a new one of the retractable-hardtop models, I'd have to say it's my least favorite model.

I really like the new versions styling, and even the RF coupe is good looking from most angles...

However, I'll admit to being just old and creaky enough to choose hot hatches over Miatas as my ultimate preference, if ONLY for the upright seating position.

Kinda sad, in some ways.

I used to want to eventually buy a beater older Miata as a second car to modify a bit.

Now, I'm waiting to see if the upcoming Hyundai Veloster "N" with 275hp would ever be within my purchasing power!

Realistically, though - maybe a Subaru Crosstrek with a slightly breathed-upon motor...

Yep, old enough for a station wagon.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

1:1 Turbo Miata AKA "my other obsession" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C3 twin turbo W.E. ROCK buggy "Mog Sled" distinctive pd 2.2 Scale Rigs 30 02-14-2021 06:51 PM
2014 Ford Expedition Concept AKA "BIG BLACK" sgtbham 1.9 Scale Rigs 35 10-30-2013 12:09 AM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM