Notices

Thread: lifted subaru trail explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: lifted subaru trail explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
On vacation cleaned & did some house keeping, temporary parking.
those are some cool rigs yo i wouldent run them on the trail though

anyway i got my spare motor so the engine work is about to start but while i was at my storage unit i picked up another one of my half finished projects
the choped and bobbed outback

its not bobbed yet though just choped but im gona cut more off the roof when i bob it so the bed area stays the same size
pics real soon
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

so pictures

yes that is a duel range transmission in the back and a lsd but i dont think ether of them will go in this rig

Last edited by ferp420; 03-29-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

baby got some new shoes and i found a new home for the radiator and after going over all my options i decided to go ahead with the trans swap im gona need that low range with theze 32" tires

i figured since i cant realy aford a side by side this is gona be it my take on the poormans rzr build im trying to stay under $500
so being a budget build heres the cost so far
98 outback free
body mods free lol
dual range trans free
wheels and tires $100
wheel adaptors for the heep wheelz $86
tottal so far $186
Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

i got some time to play with this toy i cut the low hanging fruit off the front end and got the front tires mounted and mocked up at full compresion its gona have 17 inches of ground clearence at ride hight
im still building my lift kit the rear dozent want to play nice so im gona have to drop the sub frame about a 1 1/2 "- 2" if i just make the arms longer the cv axles will pull apart from over exstention so im gona leave them the same langth also if i just made them longer it would introduce alot of anti squat making the ride realy harsh and i dont want that at all

so pics yay
Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

i havent decided if im gona bob the bed yet or not with these big tires and the lift the departure angle isent gona be horable and i like the idea of a larger bed like kinda area and its alot of work for not much gain ill probably just leave it for now and decide once i start on the tube work
Old 08-27-2021, 09:01 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

i got the driver side lift on and sitting on its wheel its gona have 17 inches of ground clearance a 105 inch wheelbase stock is 98" inches so im gona have to build new trailing arms now that i know how long to make them i might have to play with the links a bit to get everything to line up
still a long way from wheelin it but atleast i know the lift will work
i would up load a picture but.its.hard to tell anything changed from the last pictures
Old 08-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

heres a pic of how it sits now nothing special but we all like pics so heres 1
image host

Last edited by ferp420; 08-28-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Cool project!

Instead of new trailing arms what about just making a spacer for stock mounts that moves them down and back? I usually have a DD subaru (currently 96 AWD 1.8 Impreza coupe) and always wanted to make a trail beater loyale or outback.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Cool project!

Instead of new trailing arms what about just making a spacer for stock mounts that moves them down and back? I usually have a DD subaru (currently 96 AWD 1.8 Impreza coupe) and always wanted to make a trail beater loyale or outback.
thanks yo i need 7 inches just moving the bracket wont be enuff

Last edited by ferp420; 08-29-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Nothing like an old 'U R A BUS'...

Just a couple weeks ago Best In The Desert Racing Association hosted the Vegas to Reno Off Road Race. There was a Subaru wagon racing in the event and finished. A pretty big deal in this race. Fishgistics is a guy who covers desert racing on FB and YT he interviewed the driver about his rig. Other than safety equipment, roll cage, seats and harness it was a stock unit.

I owned a 1981 wagon bought it brand new. It had a high/low transfer case 4 speed transmission and adjustable suspension (maybe 2 inches) 30 mpg. Best vehicle we ever owned. I wish they would make a new model with high/low transfer case and be able to flat tow it behind an RV. I'd buy it!
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
Nothing like an old 'U R A BUS'...

Just a couple weeks ago Best In The Desert Racing Association hosted the Vegas to Reno Off Road Race. There was a Subaru wagon racing in the event and finished. A pretty big deal in this race. Fishgistics is a guy who covers desert racing on FB and YT he interviewed the driver about his rig. Other than safety equipment, roll cage, seats and harness it was a stock unit.

I owned a 1981 wagon bought it brand new. It had a high/low transfer case 4 speed transmission and adjustable suspension (maybe 2 inches) 30 mpg. Best vehicle we ever owned. I wish they would make a new model with high/low transfer csase and be able to flat tow it behind an RV. I'd buy it!
you can still get the dual range transmissions

im using a loyale trans duel range 5 speed until i can afford a brz transmission and a suzuki transfer case and forester lsds

i think the guy from that race is out of michigan he enters every year and his wagon is no were neer stock he builds his own suspention systems and transfer cases i remeber when he first started building that car heres the build thread to that rig

i got to warn you though its a lonnnnnnnnggggg thread

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...ffroad/?page=1

Last edited by ferp420; 08-29-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

i have nothing to add to this other than building trail subaru's is damn fun and i support it

buddy of mine used to drive this, he'd swap the suspension/wheels in the summer and run this in the winter

skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

let the motor madness begain

i started by cleaning up the sharp edges at the bottom of the bowl around the valve guides and cleaned up all the casting flaws

then back cut the valve seats and blended them in nice and smooth
i sharpend the fin that seperates the 2 cylinders on the intake for a smoother flow

then i started on the combustion chamber i took all the sharp edges out left from cutting the valve seats in to the aluminum
i dont have a pic if the combustion chamber yet but i do have a few other pictures mostly before pics

Last edited by ferp420; 11-23-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

ill get more pics tomarow
Old 12-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

ok so i have 2 motors torn apart right now the stock motor and the modified motor for the imp i ran out of time building the mod motor so i pulled the stock one out to do the headgaskets
one of the realy nice things about these little motors is the parts break down in to manageable sizes and because the heads are zo small i can use the post apocaliptic head surfacing method with out any special tools of materials
i have a peice of granite counter top thats nice and flat so thats my working surface and standerd sand paper 80 grit then 180 grit then 220 to finnish it off it works pretty good and because i dont have to pay a machine shop to surface the heads i can spend that money on rc stuff lol any way heres some pics of the process

image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host image host

Last edited by ferp420; 12-20-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

heres a really bad picture of the before and after side by side
it gives you a idea of were they started from
Old 01-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

its all back together they sealed up nicely its perrin like a kitten again
i was out test drivin and got out in some steep hills and just about couldent get back out i had to abuze the clutch to keep the rpms up but i made it
i figure the new motor might help if i ever finish it lol more power is always good
and i realy need to drop the gears on it or just stop trying to take a car were a 4x4 is ment to go but what fun is that lol
Old 05-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

so it was bound to happen i ripped a wheel off messin around in the desert damb ya think i would have learned the last time dont wheel the daily driver lol
any way i got lucky the spring snaped if it had snapped on the hyway at 70 i probably wouldent be here any more the spring has rust half way through the break so its been that way for a while and was waitin to fail
i was able to tuck the cv axle up were it wouldent do to much damage and was able to get what was left of the balljoint to drop back in to the hole on the control arm
when the spring broke the wheel went into.the fender hard and sheered the threads off of the ball joint shaft and left the cotter pin peices kinda welded in to the hole so to keep the wheel in place with a ratchet strap and limped it about 5 miles home through the desert with only rear wheel.drive i was just happy that it was rolin and i dident have to have a tow truck come get me and i got it home safely and the strap heald all.the way home
anyway heres some pics and ill post some video once i get it uploaded lol i had the camera pointed at the wheel when it let loose but i dident catch much anyway

Last edited by ferp420; 05-05-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

it lives alittle worse for ware but hay ill massage the fender and no one will ever know lol

whats the first thing i did i loaded up the family and took off up big bear nountain and found a knarly 1 mile long bolder and rutt ledge of a trail and headed down
i think the guy in the jeep shit himself when he found me picken my way down the trail lol
Old 10-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

well i was out at the empi tripple crown pci300 and i was chassin down a taco i pulled off the trail i to the mine feild to pass cause he was goin to slow and pow i took one to the front drivers side DAMB
so new front suspention time
i dont have the cash right now so i just robbed the forester for its struts and the outback for its sub frame lift blocks
i went up to 3 inch in the front and 4 inch in the rear i was draging pretty hard with a full load of fire wood in the back so more lift should keep the tires out of the fenders lol and the new tires are just a hair bigger than the old ones so im hoping its good now lol

the forester had brand new vary exspensive struts and heavy duty springs the ones on the front were cheap and just sucked the rears were original lol and blown out so it should handle alot better now

im also gona redo the lift blocks for better camber and some extra body clearancd

Last edited by ferp420; 10-06-2022 at 10:04 AM.

lifted subaru trail explorer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
explorer hende Chit Chat 6 07-27-2010 12:23 PM
Explorer Jumping! Toph Chit Chat 10 03-10-2008 06:05 PM
rolled explorer SlammedMini469 Chit Chat 33 01-17-2006 05:36 PM