Notices

Thread: Help me pick a trail rig that isn't a jeep lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 12:48 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Help me pick a trail rig that isn't a jeep lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I used to think he was a shit-talker, but IMO it’s just how he responds. It’s not in a rude way, just a playful way. Once you are on here for a certain amount of time, you take stuff less personal and more playful I guess you can say. Guys talk shit to each other all the time-that’s what we do.

Just my opinion and how I see things.

Oh and by the way, no offense to you Phil!
I appreciate the input, sincerely, and I'm versed in banter and well intentioned shit slinging. I was just rolling with the punches, Phils the one with feefees, he called me out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Dude...you are a little on the Surly Burly side aren't you?
I was just pointing out that age old adage, "Don't start no shit, it won't be no shit." Pretty sure that's biblical. It might've been Hustler, I always get those two mixed up.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Post deleted, too whiny

Cheers

Last edited by Phildirt; 03-11-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

I am not into what I think of as ‘wheeling’. I have run some de-commissioned logging roads and bush trails en route to some lakes and creeks to go fishing/camping etc. I drive an 08 Tacoma that I have had since new. Having swapped out the suspension a few years ago, I can tell you from my research that there is a very good aftermarket of upgrade parts. Obviously helpful If you are planning to go hardcore on this. As is, the Off-road Tacoma package has a rear diff locker as a standard feature. This is Obviously helpful your plan is to run a stock vehicle. As far as reliability goes, the truck has been all I can ask for and then some.

I am surprised you say Jeeps are off-limits. If you are choosing to have a dedicated off road rig, there is no better choice. They are designed for it.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Wow lots of feedback, thanks gents!
Not a fan of the bickering back and forth so let's leave that on page 1 ok?
Ok.

So purpose for this will be taking me, wife, 3 kids on basic trails like those found in Anza Borrego for example.
I did this with my full size 2019 f150 fx4 pretty well. But a dedicated rig to drag behind a class C rv would be ideal.
(F150 is still a lease and daily driver. Don't wanna wad it up too bad lol so keeping it as a daily and this new beater to, well... beat on.)

As for why no jeeps? Mostly just preference. The XJ would be perfect for what I need, honestly. But its just so... cliche? I mean it's like I said in my first post, I k ow they work. But why can't something else? Also the TTB is intriguing. Might handle better if I open it up on a long straight wash. Don't want to go too fast with whole family in there, but if I go over say 40, I want it to handle fine.
I know a solid front axle isn't the end of the world but that TTB just seems... interesting.
I would run manual sway disconnectors no matter what, tricky part is hooking them back up before hitting any speeds that would need them.

I'm not looking for serious rock crawling. But if I should happen to drag it behind the class C out to utah... I would like to be prepared.

Tires I think 33s would be good but not opposed to 35s if I get serious later.

4runner? I like toyota but man, prices in San diego no matter what year for 4wd is kinda crazy. I do like 2nd gen.
But IFS? sure I get that high speed stability and comfort but... I dunno.

Gotta sell my trailer and get a class C first. We will see what happens though.

Good input here though, don't think what you are saying is falling on deaf ears. I'm soaking it all in, trust me.
Thank you and keep it coming!

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #25
RCC Addict

A thought, how about an “NBS” Tahoe or Suburban? Loads of room. I had an 05 that I bought new and just sold 2 years ago. I did a torsion bar delete/coilover swap (QA1 front and rear with PAC springs) , cv drive shafts, front cv shafts from an 08+, diff drop, adjustable track bars..it could handle just about anything I threw at it. Plus power everything, leather, Bose, nav, Vortec 5.3...only parts I ever replaced were consumables like brakes/filters.

Here is a shot of it in one phase or another...obviously the 15x12s are not ideal for trailing lol. But it was a fun, reliable, capable, roomy rig. The Tahoe would be even more so. Plus they are relatively easy to SAS, Sky Off-road and several others make complete kits for a donor Superduty axle. I was going to go that route before I sold it. It did not have as much lean as the photo indicates, bad angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #26
RCC Addict

And sorry about the bickering posts. I hate that as well and even worse when I’m part of it. Surly and I got off on the wrong footing...hope to have a chance to fix it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Considering you're in San Diego (Inland Empire here) I would strongly recommend considering something you don't need to smog. That's '75 and older Gas, '95 and older diesel. Considering the vintage trucks are far more common, but you do see the occasional K5, Burb or Wagoneer (I know I know) show up from time to time.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #28

surly brought up a good point... Im originally from California and the smog is a disaster!! it can quickly derail projects!! Im in Oklahoma now and all they car about is your tires having air... sometimes not even that!! lol

I think a early 4 runner would be a good combination of comfort and performance!!
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for apologies guys.
If it means anything, I got off on the wrong foot with a member here once, and now browneye and I are pretty good buddies.

Anyway back on topic:
I had a 2001 Tahoe z71 back in 2008.
Awesome truck until I went on deployment and my wife sold it to get a 2010 Tahoe LT.
I was kinda miffed and told her it was her financial burden to carry at $600/mo. Sore subject? lol
But yeah that might be a bit too big to drag behind a class C.

Then there is the dreaded California smog thing.
Yes, it sucks. I hate it and I always try to look for projects 75 an older, but price usually scares me away as stuff that old isn't for thrashing. So far the only success I had there is inheriting my pops 66 stingray.
But that's for another thread another time. (Soon)

We do get by ok here. I had a 98 camaro z28 with a mildly modded LS1. Cam, tune, etc putting down about 380 wheel. It passed smog squeaky clean. Shop I took it to said it was the cleanest results on a 98 camaro they ever saw. I do consider it though. And if I ever get something that might not pass, there are... uh, "ways" around it. If I have to.

So I was browsing all the usual spots for explorers. Craigslist, offer up, Facebook marketplace... its pretty slim pickings. Then I went and did something out of boredom and curiosity...
I looked up jeep cherokees.
There are a few and one that was really nice.
But either just shy or right at $10k.
Ouch. Thats another reason I want to stay away from them. People here know they can get that much, so the market is a little artificially inflated IMO.
Meanwhile I can pick up a decent shape explorer for about $2k. Imagine if I dumped 8 into that exploder??
Please tell me I'm making sense. Even if they are crap, I'm OK as long as I can drag it home.
Does my logic check out? Even a little?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #30
RCC Addict

I think you could bullet proof an Explorer for $8k if you don't mind doing most of the work yourself. I think I was in that range when I looked at SAS on my Burb and that included donor axle, springs, steering components, 8 lug rear axle, drive shafts, rebuilt tranny, miscelaneous wiring and about a dozen other bits/pieces. I made an Excel spreadsheet and just started shopping...built in a 15% 'overage'...it's doable. There was just a little machine work I couldn't do in my garage but it was about 90% weld on/bolt on.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Buying cheap and building up is a great idea, but if you're willing to put in the work there are lots of better and more interesting platforms than an Exploder imo.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I wish I knew how to weld. I can do just about everything else at home and I have at least 1 buddy who could help, even if he is a huge xj fan and actually tried to sell me his 99 a couple years ago.
Wasn't in the financial position back then but it was a STEAL at $8k.
He had a class11 bug he offered to me a year later for about $4k but I can't fit my whole squad in there without making the 0-60 take 3 hours and bottom out over everything lol I love bugs and want to build one someday but isn't the right fit at the moment.

But yeah I feel pretty comfortable doing work at my house, and any fab work is a snap being I live in El cajon, dirt bro capital of San diego, the very city that produced Blake wilkey and the isenhauer Brothers.
Fab a plenty here!!!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Get an 80 series Land Cruiser IMO. Ticks all the boxes for a project vehicle. Cheap to operate, work on yourself, unlimited potential, solid front axle.

100 series would be hard to find for that money but also doable but IFS. 100s are so nice your wife will probably drive it more than you.

4Runners...yawn.

Or buy someone else's project, I see SAS mini trucks and what not around for pretty cheap every once in awhile.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

i had a 98 exploder it was .role over so i got it for free kicked the roof back up and put a new windsheild in it and beat it it lasted about 6 months before the trans kicked the bucket also it diddent have the ttb front end just a simple independent front end and they wont be all that much room for 3 kids in the back seat ether
my first ranger and my current tow pig have/had the ttb and the only real down side is they eat tires the camber changes as the waight changes so it must be alined with atlest 2 people in it or atleast that much added waight or the alignment will be off its real bad when going from empty to pulling a 10k 5th wheel or a 3k slide in camper

heres a quick video playin with my freinds in there jeeps in my old roo when i still daily drove it before adding 2 more inches of lift and 2 " bigger tires and retiernig it to the back of a trailer and off road use only lol

https://youtu.be/qw170H_xn2s

just a note these jeeps couldent keep up with me on the trail i was always stoping and waiting for them my ride is so much smoother than there jeeps
there something to be sead about going 40 down a dirt road with a cup of coffee in one hand

Last edited by ferp420; 03-11-2021 at 10:14 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Wanna get good prices and have a family road trip? Go to Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, or Ohio and pick up a cheap rig. May not even have to go that far, Texas might have some good deals going on.

This Jeep we bought for $250 a few years back(2015 I believe) for $250 on FB Marketplace and stuffed some 33s underneath it. Now with having a bigger budget than we had, you can do all kinds of stuff to a cheap XJ.

https://postimg.cc/0M4MLybH

I know, I know you said no Jeeps, but it really does seem to be the best cheap choice.

Ever thought about looking at an auction? You can get stuff real cheap, and i mean reaaalll cheap. Only thing is you need to know someone that is registered/get registered. My grandpa is registered, so that's how I got my car. My first car was bought at an auction in Indiana for $500 out the gate. It was a 2006 Crown Vic Oreo, 105k miles, pretty much rust free, clean interior, just needed a front clip(Grille, hood, complete header panel) Had the police steelies when we got it, no mustang rims.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ZvhHjbz

I suggest looking at some auctions if you can

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 03-11-2021 at 10:50 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

This one will fit the family and comes with a complimentary welder so you can learn.

Doesn't take much to turn these into serious wheelers and you couldn't ask for a better tow behind. Might need a four door for a family of five though.

Hard to beat the price on this one, serious potential too.

These are pretty underrated, and just obscure enough to be interesting without parts being exotic or rare.

Little spendy but they're hard to beat.

Never understood the hype on these but they're popular.

Bit of a nutter but I mean.... look at it.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBurly View Post
Little spendy but they're hard to beat.
You couldn't pay me to wheel that, it's too clean!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Shinchu, just go buy a welder. Welding is really easy to pick up and stick stuff together. I bought my welder two months ago and build a bumper for my 100 series and I used it to tow 1000 miles last weekend no problem! I got a Miller 211 mig and it's the bomb. Would be worth investing in it to save money down the road!
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

LC80 and montero are really speaking to me!
Prices can get crazy on the Toyota, but I love that brand and it's not a 4runner lol
*yyyyyup... as I suspected. LC80 going for $12k and up out here in socal.
Land of "no lowballers, I know what I got"
Oh wow surly found one for 7500?? I could do that. Maybe.

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-11-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #40
RCC Addict

If you do teach yourself to weld go straight to mig, don't even mess with flux core. I wish someone told me that when I started, wasted years of my life cleaning up welds lol. Like Vitamin J said it's not that hard if you have common sense, but it is definitely one of those 'practice makes perfect' deals...I fire mine up and weld something random every so often so I don't lose the heat/speed memory I've gained over the years. Coolest thing I have made so far is a roof rack, but mostly I just fix crap for people.

Monteros are cool in a nerdy 4x4 kind of way, I wanted one for the longest time but couldn't find one that hadn't been beat to death. Lately I have wanted an older XJ to tinker with.

Help me pick a trail rig that isn't a jeep lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep tj newbright trail rig brentjeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-02-2013 07:33 PM
6th Jeep Trail rig buildup... rbgerrish General Scale Talk 63 11-20-2006 04:27 PM
BrandO's scale Jeep trail rig BrandO Tamiya TLT Crawlers 111 12-31-2005 08:26 AM