Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Looking for a little input before painting my 1:1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2022, 04:37 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Looking for a little input before painting my 1:1

I got a 97 Astro conversion van I picked up not long ago, only has 70k miles, 62 at purchase, runs great but looks like poo.
I was going to take a stab at paint rollering after seeing some good results on YT, but then my BIL got a spray gun and gave his 83 CJ7 a reshoot and turned out pretty good.
So we're going to shoot it using Rustoleum Enamel Gloss Smoke Grey, but I'm really wanting more of a matte finish so I'm guessing I'd have to use a matte clear coat?
Also wondering if I should/need to primer the fiberglass high top or body before painting. No rust or anything so thinking just cleaning and sanding would be good.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2022, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for a little input before painting my 1:1

prep is key with any kind of paint job make sure you scuff every inch of that body so the new paint sticks
if the prep is good everything else can be fixed after you spray it with color sanding and more paint
ive done a few rustolium paint jobs in my day they come out ok with the can and the gun ether way a quality automotive clear coat over the top goes a long way

most auto paint stores sell automotive quality paint in spray cans if you dont have a gun to shoot the clesr or just dont feel like cleaning the gun lol

Last edited by ferp420; 03-22-2022 at 08:58 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks man, I've got quite a bit of prep to do. The fiberglass high top needs quite a bit of attention prior to painting. Just in the finish, fiberglass itself is fine. I spent a few hours the other weekend with a rubber eraser wheel removing the sweet conversion van stripes.

Can I use body filler as glazing? The high top has some pock marking and glazing compound is pricey so I bought some Bondo filler, a quart for a couple bucks more than a tube of glazing compound.

Speaking of cleaning the gun, I was surprised my BIL bought a gun, not saying he's lazy, but not always the best at cleaning up after lol
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

be aware bondo shrinks over time and glazing compound is just for tiny scratches its not body filler and from my experiance bondo dosent play nice with fiberglass i use epoxy resin for fiberglass repairs you can use glaxing compound after the fiberglasss has been painted but not on raw fiberglass
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Thanks man, I've got quite a bit of prep to do. The fiberglass high top needs quite a bit of attention prior to painting. Just in the finish, fiberglass itself is fine. I spent a few hours the other weekend with a rubber eraser wheel removing the sweet conversion van stripes.

Can I use body filler as glazing? The high top has some pock marking and glazing compound is pricey so I bought some Bondo filler, a quart for a couple bucks more than a tube of glazing compound.

Speaking of cleaning the gun, I was surprised my BIL bought a gun, not saying he's lazy, but not always the best at cleaning up after lol
i would do a scuz coat. basically bondo as regularly mixed, but you add in some fiberglass resin to thin it out. get yourself a good block and some long sandpaper. you can go the clip in route or stickyback. if you dont care how flat it is, get yourself a cheap da if you have a good air compressor.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

On my 93 Toyota PU I fixed th body with bondo, then sanded/scotchbrite the paint then rolled on monstaliner bed liner. Can be tinted in any color, holds color for 10 years or so. Can also be applied via schutz gun.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Just food for thought...
I bought a spray gun from Harbor Freight cheap enough that I threw it away when I was done with it.
Thinner to clean it cost a little more than the gun did!!
RudyF6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for a little input before painting my 1:1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some input! GEISSE-RC Axial RR10 Bomber 4 07-31-2016 05:45 AM
need some input kgb424 Axial SCX-10 10 04-17-2013 10:17 AM
I need Input sobe164 HPI Wheely King 5 04-23-2009 04:46 PM
Painting Basics - Painting Tips and Tricks stampedeproject Paint and Body 0 03-09-2008 10:39 PM
Need input rc4x4nut Electronics 1 04-02-2005 09:57 AM