Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options

As some in RCC already know, I recently sold my (second) Prius, and replaced it with a RAV4 (can't remember the exact color name, but it's a deep metallic ruby red). My plan, over the next 1-2 years, is to do several 'upgrades', including a minor (2" max) lift, and slightly larger/wider tires. In regards to 'wider', I'll be going from the stock 17x6.5 wheels, to 17x7 wheels. This is where this thread comes into play, as I'm hoping to get some input from other RCC members.

Below is a collection of wheels I am considering. These are NOT the only wheels I'll be considering...but, they are all the wheels I'm considering from one specific online vendor. For now, of just like to get some opinions on these particular options. In no specific order, six of them are from Enkei, while the other three are from Primax, Tuners, & Vision.

The question: Which would be your top 3, in order?

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)

9)

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options

Often my mind starts to change the longer I look at choices, but I like 8,5 and 6. I think on a red shade vehicle I would go black or gunmetal on the wheels.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ooh… Some nice wheels there. For a RAV4, I like 3, 6 ,7, and 8. Pressing harder, I’d say 3 and 6, however like smog, the longer I look, the more I start changing my mind, haha. You’ve got a nice lineup there.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Think I need to know your plan for tire. If you’re lifting it, I presume some all terrain or more aggressive tread pattern?

That said, 2, 8, 4
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I vote 7. Personally multi bolt pattern wheels look cheap, therefore I can’t in good conscience recommend any of the other choices

How about a nice method, or perhaps a kmc bully? Those fit well with lifted suvs for a sport/off road look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My color choices, in order of preference, are gunmetal, then black. If I were to find any wheels that had red 'highlights' identical (or almost identical) to the body color, those might be worth considering. For example, 6 & 7 area the same wheel, just 6 is gunmetal, while 7 is black. As for tires...yes, slightly (but VERY slightly) more aggressive tread pattern. In other words, not a true/full "off-road" tire, but something closer to a street-trail tire. As for Method & KMC, just haven't checked them yet...but, I will be. I'm just not certain they carry 17x7 in a 5/114.3mm bolt pattern...but, I WILL be checking.

Step 1 is the lift, the front end (bull bar & 'raptor' lights), & 2Ch dashcam system. Step 2 is a 2-parter, starting with replacing the radio & speakers with something better, as well as installing separate amps...and, then, by having the roof & A-pillars painted black (like the XSE). Step 3 will be the wheels & tires. Finally, step 4 will be "other upgrades" (ie. switching door & window buttons for lighted versions, interior door handle lighting, switching taillights, wiring up the LEDs built into the bull bar (if not completed deciding step 1), installing rear hatch LEDs etc).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 05-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I suggest you take a look at the falken wildpeak A/T trail. Slightly more aggressive tread pattern than an all season, but nice shoulder lugs and beefy looking sidewall. The few cars I’ve driven with them seem to have good road manners and reasonable noise.

Don’t mean to detail your wheel thread though

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

the first gen rav4s were nice lookin cars almost sexy with all there curves the newer ones look like chubby robots in skinny jeans and a wife beater
i say gloss black steelies with mud tires man style

then go to holister and pick up some cosmetic mud if you cover that thing in enuff dirt it wont matter what it looks like crawlin around the mall in san jose
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I suggest you take a look at the falken wildpeak A/T trail. Slightly more aggressive tread pattern than an all season, but nice shoulder lugs and beefy looking sidewall. The few cars I’ve driven with them seem to have good road manners and reasonable noise.

Don’t mean to detail your wheel thread though

No worries...all is good, and I'm open to tire suggestions. Truthfully, I was originally looking at a specific type (which I'm currently blanking on), but it is a bit on the heavy side. Thing is, going depth a wider wheel adds weight...and, going with a wider & larger diameter tire also adds weight...but, I don't want to add to much additional weight (the greater the increase in weight, and rotating weight, the greater the fuel economy suffers).

As such, I started looking at other tire options. Right now, the primary contenders are the Toyo Open Country AT III, and Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT...but, again, in just as I'm open to wheel suggestions, be I'm also open to tire suggestions. Wheels must be under 20lbs be each, and tries should be under 35lbs...and, preferably, no more than 30lbs.

My "optimum" tire size is 235/70R17, with an absolute max of 245/75R17...but, in that, the absolute maximum diameter of the tire can be no larger than 31.5", and I'd prefer nothing larger than 30.5" (as I'm sure we all know, not all tires of any specific wheel diameter & sidewall ratio have the same inflated OD).

I completely realize that larger diameter tire could be used if I were to modify the wheel well...but, I have no intention of doing that on this vehicle. Between the maximum tire diameter imposed by the size of the wheel wells, combined with the maximum weight limitations that I have chosen to impose, I realize this limits the number of possible tire options I can consider. But, that is the route I have decided to go with.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

IMHO, none of these wheels listed above scream lifted SUV to me. They all look like they’d go on a lowered car. I would look at something like a moto-metal or Dropstar for a smaller wheel that’s more offroad looking.

Also, you do realize a lift alone will drop MPG, right? Then add on tires and wheels and you are gonna loose quite a bit. Then add on the offroad bumper which theoretically decreases aerodynamics, and depending on what you’re city:highway ratio is, you’ve got MPG probably in the 15-18 mark. My 2014 F150 V8 on 20x10s, 35s and 4” lift gets that without a trailer (with is about 6-9mpg, sometimes even as low as 2)

At the end of the day if MPG is a big deal, don’t lift & put bigger tires/wheels on the Rav

Just my opinion.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i say put solid axles under the prius and pass on the rav4
call it the woke wheeler lol
Old 05-06-2022, 12:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
IMHO, none of these wheels listed above scream lifted SUV to me. They all look like they’d go on a lowered car. you do realize a lift alone will drop MPG, right? Then add on tires and wheels and you are gonna loose quite a bit. Then add on the offroad bumper which theoretically decreases aerodynamics, and depending on what you’re city:highway ratio is, you’ve got MPG probably in the 15-18 mark. My 2014 F150 V8 on 20x10s, 35s and 4” lift gets that without a trailer (with is about 6-9mpg, sometimes even as low as 2)

At the end of the day if MPG is a big deal, don’t lift & put bigger tires/wheels on the Rav
You don't seem to know much (or anything) about a RAV4...so, allow me.

First, a RAV4 is not an SUV...it is a compact crossover. Second, I have no need, nor reason, to make it "scream like a lifted SUV"...I'm simply looking for 17x7 wheels that look better then the stock wheels (and, the 9 photos I posted ALL look better then the stock wheels). If I had wanted an SUV, I would have bought an SUV. What I wanted was a vehicle designed for great city/highway driving, but also good for light off-road use...and, most importantly, something with LOTS of interior room for holding multiple FE boats, batteries, cart (to get the boats between vehicle & lake), etc. And, the RAV4 is about as perfect as perfect gets for a vehicle to fit all those requirements. There's a reason the RAV4 is the #1 compact crossover in the US.

Third, just lifting a vehicle will NOT necessarily ruin fuel economy...especially as bad as you falsely believe it will. This had already been proven by several others who've lifted their RAV4s, and comparing mileage (while still running stock wheels & tires). Original efficiency being in the 30-35mpg range, the lifts only knocked 1-2mpg off...not even close to the 15-18mpg you want to believe. Now, in regards to installing larger/wider tires, yes, that will lower it a bit more...but, again, NOT down to 15-18mpg. At MOST, the tire size I'm considering would lower fuel economy approx 4-5mpg (again, this had already been PROVEN by others who've already done this to their RAV4s).

Trying to compare a "mini-monster" F150 to a RAV4 is like trying to compare a Porsche 914 to a Ferrari Enzo...in other words, you CAN'T compare them. Besides, if I wanted something with a taller lift, larger tires, and a V8, I'd have bought a Toyota Tundra...or, better yet, an old FJ40.

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-06-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:21 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
then go to holister and pick up some cosmetic mud if you cover that thing in enuff dirt it wont matter what it looks like crawlin around the mall in san jose
Only reason I'd be going to Hollister (other than driving clients) would be for another custom Corbin.

Quote:
i say put solid axles under the prius and pass on the rav4
call it the woke wheeler lol
"Funny" you should mention that. Can't remember where I see it...but, I do recall seeing three (or was it four) "lifted" Prius, side-by-side. It looked like someone had taken them, and mounted them on short wheelbase truck frames. Have to admit, it gave me a good internal laugh. If I didn't live in a huge city, and if I could have afforded to have a third vehicle (technically forth, if I count the motorcycle), maybe...just maybe...I'd do something crazy/stupid/funny like that to a Prius. Another "crazy" idea I had was to take a Hummer (an original, not one of those Chevy-based pieces of garbage), and have it converted to electric.

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-06-2022 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

My sincere apologies for calling your vehicle an SUV instead of the correct term, compact crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

Trying to compare a "mini-monster" F150 to a RAV4 is like trying to compare a Porsche 914 to a Ferrari Enzo...in other words, you CAN'T compare them.
I was simply using my truck as a MPG number, not comparing lol. I guess if I would’ve added more info it would make more sense.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 05-06-2022 at 04:03 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I suggest you take a look at the falken wildpeak A/T trail. Slightly more aggressive tread pattern than an all season, but nice shoulder lugs and beefy looking sidewall.
Thank you. I checked them out, and like them. Not as 'aggressive' a tread pattern...but, still says "I can go slightly off-road".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I would look at something like a moto-metal or Dropstar for a smaller wheel that’s more offroad looking.
Also, thank you. I checked Moto Metal, but, unfortunately, they don't have any 17x7 with +38mm offset & 5/114.3 bolt pattern. As for Dropstar, I found it "interesting" that they only have two wheels, of which I only like the 650...and, worse, both wheels ONLY come in 22" & 24" diameters.

As for calling the RAV4 an 'SUV', no worries...I was just "clarifying" because a lot of people tend to group the two together (not saying you don't know the difference...I'm sure you do...but, a lot of others don't understand there's a difference).

As for wheels, looks like the search continues. Thankfully, there's plenty of time.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

so why havent you posted a pic of the new car
and like snl sead if ya lift it your gona get worse gas milage
if you add wider tires your gona get worse gas milage
you add taller tires your gona get worse gas milage
if you add any accesorries on the outside your gona get worse gas milage
any extra wheight you add will subtract from your mileage
then there is were and tear on the drivetrain from larger heavyer tires and if your paying someone to fix your junk it could get exspensive this gets multiplyed by age and miles and alot of time the rigs become money pits
i have a bit of first hand exsperiance in this feild only i do my own work so that saves me a huge amount of money
i just posted my wheel falling off in my subaru thread this will be the second time ive had to replace the front suspention lol

this is what happens to cars that get lifted and run bigger tires

it fell off out here while scouting rc spots

Last edited by ferp420; 05-07-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Personally not a big fan of polished aluminum or chrome. So the all black, especially on your color.

Haven't found what year rav you have to get a better mental picture.

From someone who built a gen 2 CRV much as your planning with your rav, ignore the downers, they are not used to working with a quality vehicle and likely drive like asshats.

As for tires, again a lot of experience in offroad and so on (also automotive tech along with 1:1 offroading), hands down for you the toyos. Better performance than wildpeaks, only marginal but noticeable if you live where there is snow, and rolling resistance for daily driving is noticeably lower, all why be at least as good as wild peaks offroad.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so why havent you posted a pic of the new car
Oh...duh. See what y'all have to look forward to when you get older. Sometimes, I call them "senior moments", sometimes "brain farts". Anyway, here's a couple photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Personally not a big fan of polished aluminum or chrome. So the all black, especially on your color.

Haven't found what year rav you have to get a better mental picture.

From someone who built a gen 2 CRV much as your planning with your rav, ignore the downers, they are not used to working with a quality vehicle and likely drive like asshats.

As for tires, again a lot of experience in offroad and so on (also automotive tech along with 1:1 offroading), hands down for you the toyos. Better performance than wildpeaks, only marginal but noticeable if you live where there is snow, and rolling resistance for daily driving is noticeably lower, all why be at least as good as wild peaks offroad.
Mine isa 2019 (first year of Gen 5). Like you, I'm not a big fan of chrome...but, brushed/machined aluminum I can do. At the same time, the all-black...or, better yet, gunmetal...is much better. With the deep metallic ruby, I'm definitely leaning towards gunmetal.

As for the gas mileage thing that others keep "harping" on, I (obviously) KNOW fuel efficiency will go down...that's a given...but, as some others don't seem to get (or want to ignore), how much the efficiency is affected CAN be controlled. For example, selecting wheels that are lighter than others, tires that are lighter than others, external 'add-ons' that are more aerodynamic, etc...even tread patterns.

Speaking of tires, while the Wildpeaks aren't the 'brst' of the bunch, they're probably the best choice for the SF Bay Area, or Las Vegas (where I make frequent trips). Right now, where tires are concerned, the Wildpeaks, Wranglers, & Open Country III are the top contenders...which will, in the end, depend on whether I go 235/65R17, 245/65R17, 235/70R17, 245/70R17, 235/75R17, or 245/75R17 (my "goal" is 235/70R1).

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-06-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

your just about right on the milage drop for normal driving 2000 imp added up to about 5mpg loss with about a 2-3 inch lift and 2 inch bigger tires but
gas milage isent your only issue bigger tires are harder on the drive train your trans will run hotter cause it must slip more to get the car moving and keep it moving cause it isent geared for max eficency any more and overdrive will stuggle to keep the car at speed your engine will produce more heat too cause its now fighting heavyer tires and the tall gearing not that big a deal but lets say your going to tahoe in the summer and you want to pull the grade with the ac on well now your overloading your cooling system and could overheat

then theres the ware and tear on the suspention parts ball joints tie rods and the bigest one cv axles and toyotas are know for there cv failures

also remeber all those forces are being transfered to the body thats just spot welded and glued together
bigger tires put alot more stress on the points the suspention mounts to the body i had to rebuild the fire wall on one of my subis cause i riped the sheepmetal were the radius arm atatched to it i had to completely redesign the front suspention

non of this really adds up to anything its not like your going crazy its just things to consider when lifting a car truck or what ever the rav4 is saposed to be if you switch to the extreme duty maininance scedual for your car usualy just says to change the oil and trans flud and regrease more offten but since theres more stress than what it was designed for it dosent hurt
and also from experiance dont go thinking you have a off road vehicle you have just enuff capabulitys to get in to trouble but not enuff to get out
i have to remind my self of that every time i drive my car off road ITS NOT A 4X4 lol

Last edited by ferp420; 05-07-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

just for referance my 91 subaru started at 30mpg and after the lift waz closer to 18-16 but thats with a 5"lift and 30" all terain tires roof rack tube bumpers 12000lb winch jerry cans and mounts and bla bla bla
also it eats cv axles like candy lol

the 04 lego with 2" lift dident realy make a noticable differance in milage or parts were but it was hell to get it aligned theres a suspention guru in fairfield that ended up getting it back in to alignement but it dident like to stay aligned and at times it would eat tires

my 2000 is so far out of alignment its not even funny but its mainly driven in the dirt and it drives straight so it dosent matter much

Last edited by ferp420; 05-07-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 wheel & tire upgrade options for no0bs? Element-Engager Tires and Wheels 3 07-28-2021 06:51 PM
Looking for adjustable brass options that fit different wheel options BashNSlash Traxxas TRX-4 15 04-24-2019 10:08 AM
In what order would you upgrade? (poll type) scottc19 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 09-14-2009 09:37 AM
how man poll options Mad4Rnr Testing 1 2 3 2 11-25-2008 08:48 AM
Poll on tire options Just Zach Competitions 66 03-18-2008 11:09 PM