Notices

Thread: Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2022, 01:43 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Oh...duh. See what y'all have to look forward to when you get older. Sometimes, I call them "senior moments", sometimes "brain farts". Anyway, here's a couple photos.

Nice rav!!! Trying to convince my wife she needs one lol.

Mine isa 2019 (first year of Gen 5). Like you, I'm not a big fan of chrome...but, brushed/machined aluminum I can do. At the same time, the all-black...or, better yet, gunmetal...is much better. With the deep metallic ruby, I'm definitely leaning towards gunmetal.

As for the gas mileage thing that others keep "harping" on, I (obviously) KNOW fuel efficiency will go down...that's a given...but, as some others don't seem to get (or want to ignore), how much the efficiency is affected CAN be controlled. For example, selecting wheels that are lighter than others, tires that are lighter than others, external 'add-ons' that are more aerodynamic, etc...even tread patterns.

Speaking of tires, while the Wildpeaks aren't the 'brst' of the bunch, they're probably the best choice for the SF Bay Area, or Las Vegas (where I make frequent trips). Right now, where tires are concerned, the Wildpeaks, Wranglers, & Open Country III are the top contenders...which will, in the end, depend on whether I go 235/65R17, 245/65R17, 235/70R17, 245/70R17, 235/75R17, or 245/75R17 (my "goal" is 235/70R1).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Here was my CRV at right about 245k on it. Took care of it but she saw her share of dirt roads, deep snow etc. Sold it after I bought my tacoma with 256k on it, still ran and drive like new (actually a bit better, more punch due to mods that removed power/mpg sucking crap). Kind of miss her.

As long as you don't get crazy with lift and such, your Rav will do well.

I did see you mention lots of highway driving. Toyos do last a lot better than wildpeaks. Experiencing that first hand right now. Wildpeaks with less than 10k have half tread left, toyos at 15k still looked almost brand new with 90% tread left. I put open country at3 new on my tacoma when I bought it new last year. A friend also bought and almost identical tacoma, only difference is his was a Pro, mine is a Trail. I bought his pro wheels for mine which came with his wildpeaks he put on day 1. He had 6k on his truck, I had 17k on mine. My toyos I took off had more 3/32 more tread. Now they could prove to be good or bad in the long run as wildpeaks would wear out by the time the rubber got hard and started showing their age, toyos not so much.

All that said, I do like the looks of the wildpeaks WAY MORE, have actual sidewall tread to keep the all terrain style.

Personally I would touch goodyear with a 10ft pole. Everyone I talk to for 1:1 hates them because their durability is crap compared to wildpeaks and toyos.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2022, 03:11 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
your just about right on the milage drop for normal driving 2000 imp added up to about 5mpg loss with about a 2-3 inch lift and 2 inch bigger tires
Understandable...but, at the same time, I'm not planning anything close to so much of a lift, or that much bigger tires. To do so on a RAV4 would be ludicrous (but, not necessarily impossible). The Eibach spring lift produces 1.7" of lift up front, and 1.6" of rear lift. As for tires, my "goal" (once again) is 235/70R17...but, that will partly depend on which tire I go with, as not all sizes are available for all brands/models. Plus, when it comes to getting the wheels & tires, new models and/or sizes could be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
As long as you don't get crazy with lift and such, your Rav will do well. I did see you mention lots of highway driving. Toyos do last a lot better than wildpeaks. Experiencing that first hand right now. Wildpeaks with less than 10k have half tread left, toyos at 15k still looked almost brand new with 90% tread left. I put open country at3 new on my tacoma when I bought it new last year. A friend also bought and almost identical tacoma, only difference is his was a Pro, mine is a Trail. I bought his pro wheels for mine which came with his wildpeaks he put on day 1. He had 6k on his truck, I had 17k on mine. My toyos I took off had more 3/32 more tread. Now they could prove to be good or bad in the long run as wildpeaks would wear out by the time the rubber got hard and started showing their age, toyos not so much.

All that said, I do like the looks of the wildpeaks WAY MORE, have actual sidewall tread to keep the all terrain style.

Personally I would touch goodyear with a 10ft pole. Everyone I talk to for 1:1 hates them because their durability is crap compared to wildpeaks and toyos.
Good indoor to have...especially regarding the Goodyear tires...thank you. As for the Open Country AT3s vs Wildpeaks, I understand - the Wildpeaks look better (for a vehicle like the RAV4), but the OC AT3s could prove to be (considerably) more durable. Considering my Prius also had Toyo tires, I know how long they (can) last. A 'plus' of the Wildpeaks (at least according to what I've read) is how quiet they are on paved road. However, I'm usually so busy enjoying music, I probably wouldn't notice any additional 'noise' coming from the OC AT3s.

-------------------------

Quickly...and, very shortly...getting back to the wheel debate, while I was on my way to work this morning, I was at a red light, with a Highlander next to me. It looked like it might have had a mild lift, but I'm not certain. Anyway, it was running OC MY AT3s on some amazing aftermarket wheels. I don't know what they were...but, I've got an image of them in my mind. During my "wait" time driving for tonight's Earthquakes game, I'll be online, trying to figure out what they are.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Whatever you do, don’t cheap out and get off brand tires. I have a set of Ironman MTs on my truck and they are junk with just 25k miles on them. Not to mention they would just sink in sand and in the rain they sucked as well. And it’s definitely not the suspension because it just got a whole new front end

I have first hand experience with Nitto, Toyo, Michelin(A/T), and Farroad. To my surprise, the Farroads good in grip and tire wear, especially for being a cheap tire. All 4 wore evenly and road noise wasn’t bad. We had Toyo MTs on an F250 and they lasted quite a while, especially for buying them used. The Little amount of time I had the Michelins they wore good (expected from an A/T) but they were only a 31” iirc and I sized up to 35s.

My favorite tires were the Trail Graps. We had them on a few different trucks from F350 to Ford Ranger. They obviously lasted longer in the Ranger, but on the F350 we got about 55-60k miles on them brand new. Great grip in snow, ice and rain, and they look great to boot. I would highly recommend them.

If you consider bumping up just a tiny bit, you can get a Trail Grap in a 255/75/17 which equals out to about a 32”.

have heard good things about Atturo Trail Blades, but have no first hand experience with them.

Good luck with the build and can’t wait to see progress!

Old 05-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
If you consider bumping up just a tiny bit, you can get a Trail Grap in a 255/75/17 which equals out to about a 32”.
I love terra grapplers (on my 3rd set), but while trail grapplers look good, they are not a road friendly tire. You can practically feel every lug as they come in contact with the ground. Not to mention, a 255/75r17 is about the same size as stock 4Runner/Tacoma tires… I’d be surprised if those would fit a rav.

I like the looks of the open country at3’s, and will be considering them for my 4Runner when it comes time to replace the nitto’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

"Funny" thing is, the new SCX10.3 comes with 1/10 scale Wildpeaks...lol.

But, it is looking more & more like the Open Country AT3s will be the winner for the tire...as for the wheel, still "up in the air".

Old 05-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
"Funny" thing is, the new SCX10.3 comes with 1/10 scale Wildpeaks...lol.

But, it is looking more & more like the Open Country AT3s will be the winner for the tire...as for the wheel, still "up in the air".

i still vote for black steelies
deep dish steelies would be rad
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #27
Slow is the new Fast

My Falken Wildpeak AT3w have been a great tire. Particularly for their wet weather traction. They are offered in a great range of sizes and load ranges. They would definitely make a RAV look a lot meaner. Wish Falken hadn’t jacked up the price on them, they were such great value when they first hit the dirt
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

i run maxxis marauders on my daily driver there a amazing sand tire but do equaly good in mud and snow ive never run out of traction and they get used and abused in all three some times in the same day lol
the tire carcase is tuff i run through heavy brush alot and over razer sharp lava rock and granit the tires are shreded the side walls look cut to peices one tire i put a 1" stick though the side wall about 3 years ago and im still running that tire and all but one has had side wall holes banged in to them and have been pluged even with all the tires still run true

with most of my driving being off road i would exspect the tread to last a while but there almost to there were bar and im starting to see secondairy rubber in some spots so there just about done
i only have about 10k on them i cant recomend them as a street tire but if you need tuff all terrain they kick ass
hands down the best sand tire ive ever used to bad they stoped making them in my size
Old 05-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
i still vote for black steelies
deep dish steelies would be rad

Yeah!

I’m just saying these falken a/t trails are a sharp looking tire… just put them on, time will tell how I like them long term.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

UPDATE:
Ordered the showing lift kit from Eibach, and will be heading there in a few weeks, for them to install...1.7" front, 1.6" rear (which is more than enough to make slight additional front/rear clearance in the front wheel well for slightly larger diameter tires).

Over the next 2-3 months, I'll see if/how fuel efficiency is affected...and "if", by how much. That will also give me plenty of time to continue researching wheels & tires (I'm fairly certain I've decided on the tire...but, still open to other possibilities).

Old 05-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Yeah!

I’m just saying these falken a/t trails are a sharp looking tire… just put them on, time will tell how I like them long term.
steelies just scream BEAT ME

back in the day we used to flip those style of wheel insideout and rework the wheel nut taper so the lug nuts would stay on to get the deep dish look and a cooler looking stance

a small lift or some fender trimmin bigger tires and its on lol
Old 05-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Think I finally have the 'winners'...although, for the tires, I'm down to two finalists. First up, the rims - KMC Bully 17x7.5. Turns out, for Toyota's X-Series, there is an XP Trail package (available ONLY at Toyota dealers in the Southeast...each "sales region" has its own special 'packages'), and that package uses KMC Bully wheels...so, I know they fit/work.

As for the tires, it's a 50/50 split between the previously-mentioned Toyo Open Country AT3, and Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus (the tires that come on the XP/X-Series RAV4). I know some of you have previous experience with these Toyo tires...but, does anyone have previous experience with these Pirelli tires (even better if anyone has experience with both)? All input is appreciated.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

No experience but they make decent tires. Being a RAV is pretty limited in its capabilities, they do appear to be a better fit, partially because less gap between tread lugs which SHOULD equate to less mpg loss. Also being out west you don't have as wide of variety of trail conditions like you'd see here all in one trail. Can go from loose rock, to climbing a rock formation to a damn near floor board deep mud hole all in 1/2 mile combined with about every pain in the ass soil types and other natural obstacles mixed in. Basically all the crap that bigger lugs and 4Lo is pretty much required.

Honestly though I love toyos my limited research has me leaning towards the Pirellis if I was in your shoes. Capable mild trail tire and severe winter service rated

Old 05-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Honestly though I love toyos my limited research has me leaning towards the Pirellis if I was in your shoes. Capable mild trail tire and severe winter service rated.
Thankfully, we don't have "severe winters" in the SF Bay Area (where I currently live), or Las Vegas (where I'll be moving)...but, as you (and others) have mentioned (and, as I completely understand), the RAV4 isn't a 'true' off-road vehicle, thus it doesn't need "real" off-road tires.

Originally, I was leaning towards the OC3s...but, since 'uncovering' Scorpions, they got me thinking. Since my last post, I contacted one of the Toyota dealerships in the Southeast Sales Region, to find out the exact size of the Scorpion tire used (235/65R17) by Toyota when the XP Trail package is opted on a RAV4.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:16 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Yokohama Geolandar GO15 A/T tires are also excellent and come in a bunch of CUV friendly sizes. we run them on my wife's Expedition and they have great road manners and are good enough on dirt roads and mild offroading to trail heads and such.

alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Not sure how many...or, even 'if' anyone...will be interested in what I do with my RAV4. But, for those who are, or might be, I've decided to do an upgrade "build thread", which can be done here:

Web browser link
The Metamorphosis of the BlackCat's RAV4

Tapatalk app link
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

If interested, you can follow along with my build adventures (and, as I'm sure might happen, some 'misadventures'), seeing what works...and, what doesn't. Hopefully, as I plan on researching things as much as possible before purchasing and/or installing anything, said 'misadventures' should be (very) far & few between.

For those who provided suggestions/recommendations on wheels & tires, I thank you. At this point, both have been decided on, and will (eventually) be covered in the "Metamorphosis" thread. Honestly, I have no clue how long this project will take, as the 'financial' portion will cause a greater delay (compared to the 'having time' portion). Other than the planned lift, wheels, and tires, my plan is to do all the work myself. As I am NOT mechanically inclined, that should peak some people's interest. I can build RC kits, I can build computers, and I can even do basic/general 'handyman' stuff around the house...but, I can't even do my own oil changes. However, I was able to self-install an electronic cruise control system on my motorcycle, so I'm not a complete "idiot" (that 'reference' is in honor of how Kevin Talbot always refers to himself).

And, with that...let the games begin..........

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-30-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not sure how many...or, even 'if' anyone...will be interested in what I do with my RAV4. But, for those who are, or might be, I've decided to do an upgrade "build thread", which can be done here:

Web browser link
The Metamorphosis of the BlackCat's RAV4

Tapatalk app link
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

If interested, you can follow along with my build adventures (and, as I'm sure might happen, some 'misadventures'), seeing what works...and, what doesn't. Hopefully, as I plan on researching things as much as possible before purchasing and/or installing anything, said 'misadventures' should be (very) far & few between.

For those who provided suggestions/recommendations on wheels & tires, I thank you. At this point, both have been decided on, and will (eventually) be covered in the "Metamorphosis" thread. Honestly, I have no clue how long this project will take, as the 'financial' portion will cause a greater delay (compared to the 'having time' portion). Other than the planned lift, wheels, and tires, my plan is to do all the work myself. As I am NOT mechanically inclined, that should peak some people's interest. I can build RC kits, I can build computers, and I can even do basic/general 'handyman' stuff around the house...but, I can't even do my own oil changes. However, I was able to self-install an electronic cruise control system on my motorcycle, so I'm not a complete "idiot" (that 'reference' is in honor of how Kevin Talbot always refers to himself).

And, with that...let the games begin..........

I'll be watching. I'm really curious to see what you do to your rav.

That said, I'm a auto tech by trade, have any questions feel free to hit me up, I'll help out best I can (obvious limitations not being there with you and the rav)

Old 05-31-2022, 08:59 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll be watching. I'm really curious to see what you do to your rav.

That said, I'm a auto tech by trade, have any questions feel free to hit me up, I'll help out best I can (obvious limitations not being there with you and the rav)

i have a code reader that makes me a auto tech too
but i prefer the mechanicle side of cars and old cars dont have computers

i cant tell you how many storys i get of people who take oh say a vw in to have work done and the tech just stares at you like you just asked him to kill his mother

or the famose i need a tune up

ok thats $300

no no just change the spark plugs and check the timing oooohh we dont know how to do that lol

well can you change the spark plugs

oh ya we can do that

cool then take your timing light out and

whats a timing light

aaahhhhhh i hate auto techs and then they strip your drain plug
Old 05-31-2022, 11:05 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i have a code reader that makes me a auto tech too
but i prefer the mechanicle side of cars and old cars dont have computers

i cant tell you how many storys i get of people who take oh say a vw in to have work done and the tech just stares at you like you just asked him to kill his mother

or the famose i need a tune up

ok thats $300

no no just change the spark plugs and check the timing oooohh we dont know how to do that lol

well can you change the spark plugs

oh ya we can do that

cool then take your timing light out and

whats a timing light

aaahhhhhh i hate auto techs and then they strip your drain plug
Lol. Reminds me of the age-old "computer tech call" scenario.

Technician: Ok, now press any key to continue.
Customer: I can't find the 'Any' key.

Which reminds me of another...how many programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Answer: It can't be done. It's a hardware problem.

Old 06-28-2022, 05:13 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

The wheels have arrived...well, one give box containing two of them (the other box is "out for delivery"). As some will notice, I went with the KMC KM708 Bully...but, have a slight 'difference'. Instead of "KMC" on the center cap, they have "X-Series". This is because these are made specifically for Toyota, for their X-Series line of 'specialty' packages.

Poll for Possible RAV4 Upgrade/Lift Wheel Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 wheel & tire upgrade options for no0bs? Element-Engager Tires and Wheels 3 07-28-2021 06:51 PM
Looking for adjustable brass options that fit different wheel options BashNSlash Traxxas TRX-4 15 04-24-2019 10:08 AM
In what order would you upgrade? (poll type) scottc19 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 09-14-2009 09:37 AM
how man poll options Mad4Rnr Testing 1 2 3 2 11-25-2008 08:48 AM
Poll on tire options Just Zach Competitions 66 03-18-2008 11:09 PM