RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1:1 Full Size Vehicles (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-1-full-size-vehicles/)
-   -   The Metamorphosis of the BlackCat's RAV4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-1-full-size-vehicles/629391-metamorphosis-blackcats-rav4.html)

Panther6834 05-30-2022 07:08 PM

The Metamorphosis of the BlackCat's RAV4

I will kick this off by saying, "I know the RAV4 isn't, and never was, intended to be a *true* off-road vehicle." It is a compact crossover, with fairly-light off-roading capabilities. However, that has never stopped anyone from transforming these into more capable off-road vehicles. At the same time, such is NOT my intent...my 'intent' is to make it look (inside & out) and sound (as in, the sound system) better, while also very slightly increasing it's off-road drivability. For those who don't really like reading (if that's 'you', then what are you even doing in an online forum...it's mostly about "reading"), allow me to present what I just said in a "visual 'before & after' way".https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0c8062ee66.jpg

When I'm ready for another REAL 4x4, it'll be another Tacoma, or a 4Runner, or a Tundra...or, if they bring them back, an FJ (and if you're starting to think I have a preference for Toyota vehicles, you got that right). Now that that's our of the way, I could have just posted occasional photos within a general 1:1 thread...but, I thought it might be *interesting* to do something akin to a 1:10 build thread...thus, my "Metamorphosis" thread.

The first upgrade installed is actually one I transferred over from my Prius - a dashcam system. Being somewhat on the "security conscious" side of things, it should be obvious that I wouldn't post any photos. What I will say about it is this - it is currently a 2-channel system...but, through the addition of additional cameras, and a control box, it will (eventually) be turned into a 5-channel system. Although I'm currently undecided on this, I might (eventually) install a secondary system, with it's own separate control unit, so as to provide 360-degree exterior coverage, plus interior coverage with hidden cameras. Like I said, I'm a bit on the "security conscious" side...but, not so much that I'm not willing to provide some basic info. Providing such basic info could help others interested in doing the same.

With the planned 5-channel configuration, there would be one interior front-exterior-facing camera, one interior rear-exterior-facing camera, two exterior side cameras, and one interior camera covering the interior. Should I decide to add the proposed secondary system, that system would be operating 4 interior cameras, one positioned at each 'side' (front rear-facing, rear front-facing, left right-facing, & right left-facing), covering the entire interior. When you live in a metropolitan area where a high number of car vehicles are stolen, broken into, and carjacked, you can't be "too careful".

Now, onto the second upgrade...which, admittedly, is really nothing more than a "visual upgrade". Before I "cover" what it is, here's a 'before' photo. For all updates, I will post (whenever possible) 'before' and 'after' photos.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f9b3cc50d0.jpg

I picked up the black emblem XLE overlay set. For some vehicle colors (black, dark metallic gray), adding the overlays wouldn't even be noticeable. With other colors (Lunar Rock), it's noticeable, but doesn't really "visually improve" anything. However, for certain colors (Metallic Ruby, Blueprint, white), it can have a dramatic effect. (NOTE RELATED TO A SPECIFIC FUTURE UPGRADE - if I can get a certain set of other, nearly impossible to obtain, emblems, adding the black overlays that I did today will make even more sense).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ad2a50caae.jpg

That's all I have for now. I know it wasn't much, but everything has its beginning...no matter how small it might be, it's still a "beginning". I don't consider this first installment to be a "downer"...but, I do promise that the next update will be very "uplifting".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

ferp420 05-30-2022 08:47 PM

Re: The Metamorphosis of the BlackCat's RAV4

i think theres way more red on that cat than black
you should call this thread
The Metamorphosis of the redCat's RAV4 lol

ScaleLifeNewbie 05-30-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6117194)

Then people would think Redcat came out with a RAV4 bodied Gen 8[emoji23]

Panther6834 05-30-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6117194)

Thanks for the "suggestion"...lol...but, once a 'BlackCat', always a 'BlackCat'. At the dealership I bought from, there were three I was originally looking at, one of which was a black XLE...but, the one I decided to go with had more options (as in, almost all available options) than the other two. It's not too often you find an XLE with all (or almost all) options. Plus, the price made it a better/smarter purchase.

But, it's ok...after all, my Sea Glass Pearl (ie. the metallic teach sorta color) Prius had a license plate (1st half in English, 2nd half in Japanese) that read "White Shadow" - and, obviously, the car wasn't white. I've already got a new license plate in mind (NO spoilers)...but, it'll have to wait until I move (within the next few months, hopefully) to Nevada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6117195)
Then people would think Redcat came out with a RAV4 bodied Gen 8[emoji23]

And that would be a 'bad' thing?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

ferp420 05-31-2022 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Panther6834;6117180]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f9b3cc50d0.jpg
/QUOTE]
when i look at that pic i exspext it ta say something

i dont know what it would say but judging by that pick its something really important lol

it looks cereal almost super cereal

lol needs a blunt between its lips

thats it lol i know what it would say now

"yo optimas wana hit lol"
optimas
" thanks fat cat thats some good sherbert "

Panther6834 05-31-2022 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=ferp420;6117231]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 6117180)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f9b3cc50d0.jpg
/QUOTE]
when i look at that pic i exspext it ta say something

i dont know what it would say but judging by that pick its something really important lol

it looks cereal almost super cereal

lol needs a blunt between its lips

thats it lol i know what it would say now

"yo optimas wana hit lol"
optimas
" thanks fat cat thats some good sherbert "

Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one that looks at the rear end of most vehicles, and sees a face of some sort. There's just something about the tail lights (eyes), license plates or manufacturers badges (nose), and the top of the bumper mount (mouth), that creates an "illusion" of a face.

ferp420 06-03-2022 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Panther6834;6117256]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6117231)
Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one that looks at the rear end of most vehicles, and sees a face of some sort.

it must have something to do with a over active imagination lol

Panther6834 06-27-2022 10:24 AM

Not sure if I'll get the actual update posted today, or tomorrow...but, as previously promised, the next update would be "uplifting". The actual work is being done as I type this, thanks to..........https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...985c067689.jpg

Panther6834 06-28-2022 05:09 PM

I'm still waiting for Eibach to email me the data, as well as their "before & after" photos...but, in the meantime, two of the four wheels were delivered (not sure, exactly, where the other box, containing the other two, is...but, it is listed as "Out for Delivery").https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e888821491.jpg

As some will notice, these are the KMC KM708 Bully...but, with a slight 'difference' - instead of "KMC", the center cap has "X-Series". This is because these are done specifically for Toyota, for their X-Series line of 'specialty' packages. Being machined, as opposed to the stock cast wheels, these are stronger & (slightly) lighter.

As soon as I receive the data from Eibach, I'll post it.

Panther6834 10-01-2022 07:45 PM

I know I haven't updated anything in here in three months...but, that's because I haven't added 'anything' in the past three months. Back in May, I injured my knee to the point that it needed surgery...not that I knew that at that point (I still don't know what, specifically, caused the injury). When I went to Eibach for the lift, I was unable to get the lift data, which is why I never posted that update. However, I do know the lift would have been (according to what I was told in advance) 1.6" in the front, and 1.7" in the rear.

Since then, the pain in my knee increased, which led my to having to cut back on just about everything - work, RC, Esk8 (more like "eliminated", not just "cut back"), and more. It wasn't until early August that I discovered the 'cause' of my pain was a medial meniscus tear. At the end of August, I had knee surgery, to (hopefully) correct the problem, and I've been recovering ever since. I was out of work for almost two weeks...and, even since returning, I've been somewhat limited in what vehicles I've been able to drive. Them, additional work was lost to the post-holiday (Labor Day) slowdown. As such, there's been little-to-no money to pour into RC, my RAV4, or anything else.

Thankfully, as I've recovered more, and gotten more work, my income has (mostly) reopened to the level it was between April & early-August. As such, I've finally been able to put a little money into RC (picked up a Tamiya XV-02 Pro Rally Chassis Kit, and am Arrma Limitless V2 roller)...and, I'm finally able to do the next step in building up my RAV4 - tires.

No, that doesn't mean the tires (and wheels) are installed...but, I did get the tires ordered today. They should arrive at the shop before the end of next week (supposedly on Wednesday)...and, if all as I'm hoping, they should be installed on the 9th or 10th. I WILL have 'before & after' photos, and I WILL get them posted.

Next update coming soon..........
I promise!!!

Panther6834 10-10-2022 12:32 PM

And, as promised...update - the RAV4 has new shoes.

Before the lift (ie. "factory stock"), the ground-to-fender (through the wheel's center) was approx 32" at the front, and 32.5" at the rear (this measurement comes from a neighbor's RAV4). After the Eibach LIFT showings were installed, the measurements were front 33.25", and rear 33.75". Now, with the Pirelli Scorpion AT tires (on KMC Bully wheels made for Toyota) the front sits at 34.5", while it's 35" at the rear.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e34b7c9148.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...297c567921.jpg

So...total 'lift' (springs, wheels, and tires) ends up being 2.5" at each end. Next update won't be until after the move (which is in one month).

twade984 10-10-2022 12:45 PM

Looks great, good choice of wheels and tires [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panther6834 10-10-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6124001)
Looks great, good choice of wheels and tires [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you...although, theory-be-told, considering all the 'input' from several others within the forum, I guess you could say the decision of which wheels & tires to get was a bit of a "group effort". For the tires, is was either going to be these, or the Toyo Open Country A/T III. Both are excellent, and both are used as "stock" tires by Toyota (the OC AT 3s on Tacomas & Tundras, the Pirelli Scorpions on the X-Series beRAV4s in the southeast region).

Speaking of Toyota's X-Series vehicles, I was able to not only obtain an "X-Series" badge for the rear of the vehicle...but, I was also able to obtain two "XP" badges for the sides - the badges specific to the RAV4s having these wheels & tires. Hope to get those in place within the next week (and will post photos).

Panther6834 10-15-2022 04:11 PM

Have an "interesting", and 100% unplanned (ok, technically, it was planned, but not for a time until after I move to Las Vegas), update. Have a family medical emergency, leading me to depart the SF Bay Area for approx a week (still not back). While away, I decided to check the pricing on having the windows tinted (as I've come to understand, almost everyone living in the "Las Vegas Metropolitan Area" (a term I came up with several years ago)...and, as chance had it, they are having a sale on the 3M Ceramic IR Series of tinting.

So, what did I do? Obviously, I scheduled an appointment to have the tinting done the following day (now 'today'). What y'all think?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5f6e83dc2c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6819073327.jpg