Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: my new jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Location: Tearin down a dirt road, rebel flag a flyin, coon dog in the back, truck bed loaded down with beer.
Default my new jeep

1947 willys flatfender

fordzilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Please tell me you are going to restore it to original and not put some massive tires on it.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Location: Tearin down a dirt road, rebel flag a flyin, coon dog in the back, truck bed loaded down with beer.

sorry for the small cell phone picture. this is the motor im gonna put in it. a chevy 383, from dads sprint car that is no longer legal at the track because of new engine mod rules.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
Please tell me you are going to restore it to original and not put some massive tires on it.

too late . not that big 35's maybe a little bigger.

frames gettin boxed, bodies gettin restored, bucket seats, and the motor and trans are gettin pulled because they dont work, im keepin the axles the way they are.

Last edited by fordzilla1; 09-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Why would you put big tires under a willys is beyond me... If you want to go rock crawl, get a newer jeep that is better. Willys should be restored. And imo, if you were going to put big (er) tires on it, dont go above 35. I still say you should restore it. Oh and what axles are on it now? I dont know, but i seriously doubt they would hold up to a 35 or bigger on any real wheeling.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i just got it 3 days ago i havent fully looked it over. but i do know its all original. my dad has a 1953 willys jeep frame and running gear with a fiberglass body. he has 38" tsl sx's on his stock axles. he also has a chevy 350, and the stock 3 speed.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Do you have any pics of his? and has he ever wheeled it?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Do you have any pics of his? and has he ever wheeled it?

no and yes. he lives in eastern washington rite now. id ask him to text me some pics but he has an old cell phone. i will search through my photos and see if i can find a decent picture of it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

sweet! its yours, do what you want with it!
Abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

fordzilla-jeep-chevy

i dont get it?
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Let me know how those axles live up to that 383 and 35's Plus, the 4 wheel 9" drum brakes will be sweet too!

But to give you an example of a cool willys build that is cheap AND reliable, my buddy came up with this recipe:

scout II chassis shortened 24"
toyota axles, welded diffs and 4.10s
homemade high steer
toyota 22r, 5speed, and toy t case
36" swampers
full cage
fuel cell, etc.
4 link rear with coils

He built the whole thing for about $2500 and it follows my BUILT early bronco everywhere, plus its street legal and rarely breaks parts. You could sell that 383 and build the whole jeep easily
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why would you put big tires under a willys is beyond me... If you want to go rock crawl, get a newer jeep that is better. Willys should be restored. And imo, if you were going to put big (er) tires on it, dont go above 35. I still say you should restore it. Oh and what axles are on it now? I dont know, but i seriously doubt they would hold up to a 35 or bigger on any real wheeling.
Maybe someone should take a look at the willys section at pirate.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
fordzilla-jeep-chevy

i dont get it?

2 years ago i had a 1978 ford ranger 2wd. i took the bed off and put tires off the front of a 4x4 tractor. (i do not know the size of them). and the local orv park use to 4x4 mud drags every weekend. since no bed and tractor tires i would throw mud futher than the truck would go.

long storie short everyone started callin my "fordzilla the crowd thrilla"

and yes i know there was a guy on that tv show carpacolypse that had that one guy witht he same nickname. but i didnt come up with it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Maybe someone should take a look at the willys section at pirate.

i have looked around on google and found some good info on willys jeep axles. mine look big enough to be 3/4 ton but they have the 1/2 ton 5 lug

im confused there.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I was talking about him saying a newer jeep was tons better and what not. willys kick ***! I'm not putting down a newer jeep or anything but this guy is working with what he has.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
Let me know how those axles live up to that 383 and 35's Plus, the 4 wheel 9" drum brakes will be sweet too!

brakes? what brakes . i was gonna tow it home with a strap till i figured out someone robbed the brakes off of it. but i already found a kit for 4 wheel disc brakes
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i found it just down the road from my dads house. i didnt even know it was there. my neighbor was gonna pay me $400 to completely get rid of all the alder trees that were growin to thick to see very far. as i got about 100 feet into the trees i saw somethin square under a tarp.

anyways i didnt gett he money i said id take the jeep instead
Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

wahoo 3 posts in a row

i might be gettin an m715 here soon. my step dad just called me from centrailia and said there is an m715 for sale $500.00!

he says its a faded red that looks pink. im gonna go check it out tomarow
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Yeah, I was talking about him saying a newer jeep was tons better and what not. willys kick ***! I'm not putting down a newer jeep or anything but this guy is working with what he has.
I am saying that if he wanted to go rock crawl, which is what most jeeps do, he should save up for a newer jeep. The older willys are more rare, and should be restored to be original imo. not that newer jeeps are necessarily better, but are you telling me that if you stuck a lift on that willys, it would out perform a newer jeep with the same lift and stuff? But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordzilla1 View Post
i have looked around on google and found some good info on willys jeep axles. mine look big enough to be 3/4 ton but they have the 1/2 ton 5 lug

im confused there.
You will have a 2 piece Dana 44 in the rear and a Dana 27 up front. I would not suggest a built 383 to those axles. I'm swapping in Wagoneer axles and stretching my flattie to accomodate for the bigger tires and to give it more stability on the NW trails

OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote