Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep J-10 Honcho Now an MSD UTE with RC4WD 1.5s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default Jeep J-10 Honcho Now an MSD UTE with RC4WD 1.5s

While I wait for my frame for my YJ from TSS, I decided to build another Jeep in the mean time. I can guarantee you, that you will only find one other build on this forum using this body. I received mine by pure luck, my friend Jeff (BD) sent me a PM that 51willysjeep had this body. Jeff said he was going to pass but knowing that I search out the earth for the rarest of badass things he let me in on it. Soon as I saw it, I remember that this was CTCballers old body and that I missed it when he put it on ebay. So when this time around I knew it would be mine.

So today I finally had some time to do some work... I started by building up some TLT axles, one was partially built so I just added the usual...fat rock Cs, RCP crawlers knuckles, and rc4wd straight axle adapters. Front axle has RC4WD inner axles. They got a ball bearing treatment and some HD lithium white grease. Leafs are mounted via dinky mounts.

The Bruiser frame I pulled off the shelf the other day to take a measurement for my friend Terry (mocrawler) and for the 1st time I noticed the front was tweaked I nearly shit myself because I have had this frame for well over a year, had it apart to be powder coated, and put it back together and never noticed it until this week. I figured since it was tweaked, it would be a good candidate for the dremel I fixed the front the best I could and started mocking up the axles. Out came the drill and some high lift mounts.

Here is where I am at now...

Rc4wd wagon wheels on tamiya MT bfgs

here you can see the high lift spring mounts

I cut the frame just enough so that the body almost rests right up against the back of it, doing so allows me to put in the 2nd cross member still which is good for when I mount electronics and other stuff.

Right now I am mocking up some High lift shock mounts and turn down tlt shocks for the front. The rear will get some turn down tlts as well.

Plans are for a velrco body mount system, custom front bumper and rear bumper. Rock sliders (needed to protect the 15+ year old body). If I can find a big bear interior it will get one of those as well.

Thats it for now. Stay tuned for more

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 08-10-2008 at 09:37 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You love using bruiser frames don't ya?? lol. jk. I wanna see MORE!!!!! Is the body lexan?? Cause it looks like it to me!!
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

1BadBruiserFrame, nice job there!

Love that body; very rare indeed.
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
You love using bruiser frames don't ya?? lol. jk. I wanna see MORE!!!!! Is the body lexan?? Cause it looks like it to me!!
Yes its lexan, it was made by parma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSynch View Post
1BadBruiserFrame, nice job there!

Love that body; very rare indeed.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Been waiting to see this body used for something. Looks great. Can't wait to see it finished.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Ok last update before bed, then it wont be anymore work done till after work tomorrow...

Shocks are mounted up front, turned down tlts and high lift mounts.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Oh, parma!! Looks good man, you've got a nice roller with the body mocked-up!!!!
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Awesome. J-10's are one of my favorite trucks, one of a kind for sure.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

that is sick Mike. J-10s are pretty damn cool... good friend of mine wheels one.

pic of it at the Hammers:
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Awesome. If it says Jeep on it, you can't go wrong.
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
Sinking with the ship

Thanks guys. Does anyone have a stock front clod bumper they can measure for me? Out of all the stuff I have I dont have any stock clod bumpers Got grills and tail gates only... I am thinking one dechromed on the front, notched to sit more inward might look kinda cool.

-Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

That is bad a$$ right there! LOTS of potential.
Keep up the great work!
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #13

that body is awesome. i have a friend with one on 38's that he wheels and its a tank. thats a cool find.

btw a stock clod bumber is 170mm from side to side 15mm top to bottom and 17mm front to back at the widest part. the mounts are about 70mm apart.
wheelspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Looks SWEET Mike..!! I'm glad your building another killer truck using that body..!!! I always wanted to do something with it, but never got around to it..! I'm glad it ended up in good hands..!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
20K Club

I will be interested to see how it ends up. What tires are you going to run, or are you going to leave the BFG's?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looks good Mike. If you want to shorten the front of the frame to fit better under the body, you could always use a pair of leafs from a Tamiya Semi kit. I will be using some on my Blackfoot body build soon.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Your right about the rare part 1BJB you don't see one of those every day. That's going to make an excellent rig.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I will be interested to see how it ends up. What tires are you going to run, or are you going to leave the BFG's?
Josh, I am going to stick with the BFGs, anything bigger and Ill get tire rub and I think they will look way to big. Plus, giving the era of the truck and the paint scheme I think some BFGs are fitting for it that way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looks good Mike. If you want to shorten the front of the frame to fit better under the body, you could always use a pair of leafs from a Tamiya Semi kit. I will be using some on my Blackfoot body build soon.
Hmmmm That is something to consider... I was going to make a bumper off of the front and sit the winch in the middle of the cross member... Maybe Ill pick up some semi leafs and see how that works and looks. Thanks for the tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your right about the rare part 1BJB you don't see one of those every day. That's going to make an excellent rig.
Yeah it should be cool, something different for sure. Only thing is that it can be run to hard because the body is thin in some spots (already shoe goo'd it to be safe). Itll still make for a cool trail rig though

Alright, update time, got some disc brakes up front

The I mounted up some turned down tlt shocks for the rear. I was struggling to find a top mount after my Juggsterr one wouldnt work for this application...then I saw the cut off parts of the frame...

Drilled 2 more holes in the cross member and bolted it up.

Next up, was trying to figure out something with the molded roll bar... I started digging through a box of misc. parts and found what was left of a Kyosho USA-1 roll bar...

Still undecided as to what I think of it, its just dbl sided taped for now. I then mocked up some 3/16 styrene rod.

I think I like the way the styrene rod looks better... Any thoughts?

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 08-11-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
RCC Addict

The styrene rod looks way better IMO. I'm wondering what the truck would look like with white rims, seems like that would be more period correct, just my opinion. Truck is awesome.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The styrene rod looks way better IMO. I'm wondering what the truck would look like with white rims, seems like that would be more period correct, just my opinion. Truck is awesome.
I am leaning towards the styrene rod myself... just sucks cause it wont be chrome like the roll bar...

I thought about white wheels myself, just happen to have these wagon wheels already. I know Hua made them in white, not sure if he still has them or not.