RCC Addict

Looks absolutely awesome!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototodo View Post
Out on the rocks

no one mentioned Hunter Dan....to bad he's met Jr and is chopped up.

Very cool build...I really like the trailing arms.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #64

looks like my gramps old farm truck, wrong colors, but still a nice build, now what are ya going to do with the old build since you are build a whole new set up, hymm
chevycrawlerSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

I had originally thought the screw would be enough to hold the leaf springs since 1.55 wheels won't exactly make this a comp rig. But then, I don't want to chance stripping out the plastic axles cases either so I have been working on a u-bolt mount. I haven't mustered the courage to shave all the mounting tabs off the axles yet.

I am very happy with the way the body came out. It's great to hear that others like it too. It gives me hope for other trucks that I like which I can only find in Lexan. I would like to experiment with styrene construction. I'm sure it's way more difficult than it looks. The masters here and on other scale boards make it look too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I think that's the best looking lexan body I've seen. Easily top 3 or so. Great job!

Looking at your suspension, are you sure that single screw (into the plastic housing) is going to hold the leafs to the axle? Or are you planning some sort of u-bolt to help secure it?

Ha! I haven't come up with a solid plan for the X-Trail. I like the C-10 longbed. Maybe change the grill to a '67 like one I used to have. Or try a hard body like a Hilux. I have been scanning toy aisles at the stores for retail hard bodies, too. Maybe a hybrid Lexan-ABS-Styrene body. I am trying to stick to one build at a time. Even if it takes me years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycrawlerSD View Post
looks like my gramps old farm truck, wrong colors, but still a nice build, now what are ya going to do with the old build since you are build a whole new set up, hymm
mototodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Or try a hard body like a Hilux. I have been scanning toy aisles at the stores for retail hard bodies, too. Maybe a hybrid Lexan-ABS-Styrene body.
If you can make a lexan body look that good, I can't wait to see what you can do with a hard body.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

In between Christmas preparations and present wrapping (including an SC10 RTR and an M-04L Beetle for Blazerbogger), I managed to get in a little fabricating time. Front coils with buckets, track bar (panhard), steering drag link and shaved pumpkin. It works!

Last edited by mototodo; 01-27-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Updated image host
Old 12-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Wow. Awesome job. I'm glad i found this thread!

My first vehicle, given to me by my dad, was a 1972 F-100 Ranger in the exact same paint scheme! (Minus the rust) I wish I had that old truck now!
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #69

Very nice build. How is the fusion holding up. Has the body been flexed alot to test it? I want to paint a body with that stuff but I have read mixed reviews. Thanks
mjc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #70
RCC Addict

That truck is sweet nice job for sure..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Driver

hahaha that old man looks like the old cranky guy from the jeff dunham show
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

What did you make the coil spring seats with? Looks like just sheet metal curled up and brazed to a sheet metal circle. Is that right?

great job on the chassis and suspension setup. I think I may copy this one day...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc707 View Post
Very nice build. How is the fusion holding up. Has the body been flexed alot to test it? I want to paint a body with that stuff but I have read mixed reviews. Thanks
Thanks for the comments. I've rolled it many times on rocks, dirt, and creek beds, twisted it between rocks and tires, it has been driven over by Jeffro's JK and other 2.2 rigs, and it was dropped in the drink, completely submerged. It sends Blazerbogger into fits. The Fusion has at least met my expectations but it's not a perfect solution. The Fusion paint is pretty tough stuff on properly prepared (scuffed and washed) Lexan but it can be scraped or flaked off. You can see a couple of spots in the photo. High on the left front fender/hood and the lower quarter panel along the edge behind the rear wheel. The underside is painted dark green so that is what you see under both areas. Being painted on the outside makes touch-ups possible. The next Lexan body I paint will be rust colored on the underside. See: Mnster's "Paint on the Outside" thread.
Paint on the outside

Last edited by mototodo; 01-27-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: for accuracy
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
What did you make the coil spring seats with? Looks like just sheet metal curled up and brazed to a sheet metal circle. Is that right?

great job on the chassis and suspension setup. I think I may copy this one day...
That's exactly how I made the buckets. I stole the idea from another build that I can't recall at the moment. I will add a link if I remember so I can give proper credit.

I found the build. Thanks Doc.
Doc J33P's Custom TJ

They were much easier to make than I expected. Of course, mine didn't come out as nice. The lower panhard link is one-piece bracket/coil bucket. I created out of paper and then flattened it and transferred it to the sheet metal, cut it out and folded it up.

I didn't braze the curled bands completely around the base. I thought I could crimp the ends and clamp the springs but the metal is too soft to hold tight. I may try bending over the top edge or I may wind up putting a cap screw horizontally through the band.

Long have I admired and taken inspiration from your skills, Pablo. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by mototodo; 01-09-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Check out the monster articulation! I may need limiting straps! I moved the track bar behind the coil spring to free up space in front of the axle after mounting the servo. The steering arm and track bar are nearly parallel and there is no binding or bump steer. It works great on the bench.

Last edited by mototodo; 01-27-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Updated image host
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrejects View Post
hahaha that old man looks like the old cranky guy from the jeff dunham show

Thats walter
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

WOW this build has come a long way.
Great build.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

The rear suspension. It came out pretty stiff with such a light chassis. The important thing is that it acts and look scale. The best part is that the leafs, shackles, and all brackets are hand made.

There is a small spacer between the u-bolt plate and the leaf spring so that the plate doesn't pinch the leaf. Without the spacer the plate would flatten the leaf and restricted its deflection. The cap screw through the plate, leaf, and into the axle is now just centering the leaf and not receiving any torque.

Last edited by mototodo; 01-27-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Updated image host
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #79
Pebble Pounder

More undercarriage shots.

Last edited by mototodo; 01-27-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Updated image host
Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

I like the one different size wheel!!!

very cool suspension build.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote