Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MSD UTE build: The Blue Lux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Umm...how does it feel to own the sickest yota on the forum?

This truck is on my top 10!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #202
RCC Addict

Looks sick with the weathering...definitely not a cali truck anymore.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Did you get that dirty carpet idea from me? Just kidding, looks great all weathered. That rusting kit is pretty awesome and it only gets better over time. Rustall is ok for some things, it just takes a few layers before you start to get results. Are you going to dull the paint a bit for a nice sun beaten look?
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

You just had to ruin a great thing.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #205

looks killer bro one of my fav builds for sure
THEWHITEZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #206
Custom Carbon Fiber

That came out great, the frame and axle look perfect.

Congrats on the Academy too .....
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Looks SICK!!!!! Really like the missing fender
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #208
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Umm...how does it feel to own the sickest yota on the forum?

This truck is on my top 10!
Haha Thanks, I am trying to keep up with all the badass Hiluxs on here but its not that easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
Looks sick with the weathering...definitely not a cali truck anymore.
Sure isnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Did you get that dirty carpet idea from me? Just kidding, looks great all weathered. That rusting kit is pretty awesome and it only gets better over time. Rustall is ok for some things, it just takes a few layers before you start to get results. Are you going to dull the paint a bit for a nice sun beaten look?
Definitely stole the dirty carpet idea from you I also referenced a lot of my rust from yours and JIA's rusted lux as he some good real rusted Hilux reference shots too. The rustall was frustrating the shit out of me, I felt like it was just beading up on whatever I put it on and then when I talked to JIA he told me about the rusting kit from Michaels.

I actually hit the entire body with scotch bright pad, it was really shiny before, it looks a lot duller in person.

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the bumpers and sliders and even the grill is wwwwwwaaaayyyyy to shiny. I also want to cut the grill out like you did as well and find someone to give up the photoetched grill emblem so I dont have to buy the entire Hilux decal sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
You just had to ruin a great thing.
It looked silly that the truck had a missing fender and what appeared to be a fresh paint job, had to bring it down a few levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That came out great, the frame and axle look perfect.

Congrats on the Academy too .....
Thanks, the frame and axles have just enough on it to make it look like the real deal. I emphasized the rust by the spring mounts just like how the real ones rust more in those areas. I also made sure to rust the top, bottom, and inside of the frame rails so when I am wheeling it and taking shots it will look evenly rusted.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Definitely stole the dirty carpet idea from you I also referenced a lot of my rust from yours and JIA's rusted lux as he some good real rusted Hilux reference shots too. The rustall was frustrating the shit out of me, I felt like it was just beading up on whatever I put it on and then when I talked to JIA he told me about the rusting kit from Michaels.

I actually hit the entire body with scotch bright pad, it was really shiny before, it looks a lot duller in person.

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the bumpers and sliders and even the grill is wwwwwwaaaayyyyy to shiny. I also want to cut the grill out like you did as well and find someone to give up the photoetched grill emblem so I dont have to buy the entire Hilux decal sheet.
I'm honored about the carpet For the bumpers and sliders you should take them off, hit them with some flat clear, bang em up, then use the rusting agent on the bare metal. As for the grille emblem, you have a PM.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #210
I wanna be Dave

Mike, really like the rust look, great work! can you post a link or a part # or a name that others can use to get their trucks rusty too.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #211
I wanna be Dave

Sophisticated finishes rust solution

should be what your looking for

XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #212
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
Sophisticated finishes rust solution

should be what your looking for

Andys right, that is the one.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Let me know when you don't need it anymore.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #214
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what metallic surfacer did you use. i have that kit and tried it last night and didnt get any rust. i have the steel surfacer, not the iron. and then put the rust liquid on after 5-10 minutes after the steel and didnt see anything happening.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #215
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
what metallic surfacer did you use. i have that kit and tried it last night and didnt get any rust. i have the steel surfacer, not the iron. and then put the rust liquid on after 5-10 minutes after the steel and didnt see anything happening.
After you put the iron metallic surfacer on you have to let it try completely. I used a hair dryer as per JIAs experience in order to speed this process up. After that, the directions will tell you to do "light" coats of the rust antiquing solution...well that is BS After the surfacer is dry, using another brush, dunk it and apply a HEAVY coat (to the point where it might run down the body/chassis/frame W/E) and then just let it sit...you will see then within a half hour or so it will rust the shit out of it do not use a hair dryer on this process as I found it dries the rusting solution up to fast, it needs to sit on there and work it magic. It took me a while to figure this out, I was starting to get frustrated. When I spilled the bottle of rusting solution over, it beaded up on my work mat and there were some non stainless screws and within minutes of being saturated in this stuff they started rusting. That is when I tried applying it heavily to the truck body. After the initial coat, you can go back and add more rusting solution for a more rusted look.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #216
Quarry Creeper

great build. i love the rust but being a noob here i might have missed it but where is the camero build. i saw a glimpse of it in one of you updates but that was it. any links?
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Here is a vid on it.
I used the same stuff on My Willys. Works well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhSDc...e=channel_page
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #218
Sinking with the ship

Thanks to http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newre...31pardonmyn00b I now have a legit grill emblem

I also took the suggestion of a member on scale4x4 and weathered the bumper some as well. I hit them with rust mostly where the "welds" would be and on the under side of the sliders and rear bumper

I purchased these from RPP Hobby http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/3racad12v2go.htm but unfortunately I ran into several issues while trying to install them. 1st issue was the bearing size of the ultimate yota scale knuckles is different. I solved this by drilling out a a regualr 5x11 plastic bushing and fitting it around the supplied bearing. However, after fighting with that it wasnt going to work out anyways because the rotor would fit into the hex set up of the 1.5 steelies Just so everyone knows, these dont fit very many wheels at all...they wouldnt even fit on my evo JK with the axial wheels...so far only wheels that I have that they worked on are HPI stock car wheels. So far now, I am modifying some regular old school rotors. I stripped the chrome finish off and I am drilling out the dimples that represented the crossed drilled. After I get done drilling them out Ill paint them with some testors aluminum and weather them slightly. At this point, I am going to have to scratch build the calipers and I have to get to my LHS for steel braided line.

More to follow
-Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #219
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

It looks like this Lux is ready for a lil snow wheeling. Let's do it!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #220
LR3
Rock Crawler

How do you like the performance of the rock stompers? Also did you make that interior or purchase it? Very nice yota btw
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MSD UTE build: The Blue Lux - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**MSD** UTE Montero charity build pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 490 01-19-2011 06:01 PM
MSD Ute Chassis Re-Build BENDER 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 12-27-2009 12:25 PM
*** MSD " UTE CHASSIS " Jeep JK Shop Truck Build slobin3d 1.9 Scale Rigs 92 06-15-2009 12:36 PM
* MSD Tamiya FJ-45 " UTE " hilux Build * Unimoger 1.9 Scale Rigs 19 12-14-2008 08:24 AM
MSD "ute" proto build! XSRCdesign 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 11-23-2008 04:33 PM