LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

one word SWEET!
88gmchog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

I made things a lot better with some old RC18T spring preload spacers and by slightly opening up the fender wells. The RC4WD tires seem to grip okay on flagstone too.

SLODRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Awesome Chevy body. It looks good with those wheels. Great job
bluechevytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Very sweet
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Red face

nice

those rims are awsome .

to bad it a chevy
rocks for brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Looks great...I will be using your idea to mount the servo
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again!

Still improving things, I picked up a set of Losi aluminum spindles at Hobbytown. They needed a little shimming to get rid of (a lot of) up-and-down play, but seem great after that. :? While I had things apart, I ground down my axles and dogbones following this thread. I didn't remove nearly as much as in that thread (I ground the cups to about 5.5mm long), but I got a lot more throw. I didn't get any pics while everything was apart, but here's a couple of assembled shots.

As you can see, the steering arms lay on the axle housing now and the tires nearly touch the links. Me Chevy turns tighter circles now!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I got my next upgrade today. I had a little extra cash, so I went and picked up a Mongoose Crawler brushless system. The install was pretty easy, with the only hitch being that I had to clearance the trans case a little for the motor to clear. Here it is all installed:

I set it up with the included 15T pinion, programmed it and drove it around a bit...HOLY CRAP. My MRC's so fast now, I was having fun drifting in the kitchen! I'm very impressed with how smooth and torquey the motor is. I'll report back after I get a little crawling in (probably after this last round of snow melts), but I'm pretty sure my $100 was well spent.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

this is one of the most epic transformations ive seen. i think the samurai body is the coolest
ryandeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #30

What exactly do you mean by "clearance the trans case"? Or more specifically, where at did you need the additional room?
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Looks good, whats your best hop up that you have done so far?
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
What exactly do you mean by "clearance the trans case"? Or more specifically, where at did you need the additional room?
"Clearance the trans case" = "modify the transmission case for more room"
Specifically, viewing the motor/transmission from the rear, the Mongoose motor contacted the transmission case at about the 8:00 position of the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Looks good, whats your best hop up that you have done so far?
Not too sure, but I might already say that it's the Mongoose system.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #33

Thanks for clarifying.
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Well, the Mongoose finally took something out in the drivetrain...the plastic center diff locker. It's at least partially my fault because I was doing wheelies on the living room carpet. Within an hour after this picture was taken, I already had a metal locker in hand from the LHS. All together now, and much better. I should probably let up on the wheelies though, eh?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

After some more playing around with the Mongoose, the lengthened stock driveshafts started getting floppy (no surprise), so I made up some driveshafts with Traxxas parts like this post. I ground the front driveshaft yoke and the transmission case just a bit for clearance, otherwise I just cut them to length and installed them. I'm feeling a little better about my driveline now!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Here's the latest...a few days ago I got a 3Racing winch in the mail. The one sad part is, the hook broke immediately the first time I plugged it in and hit the button. The hook you see here is a temp until I figure out what I want to use. I made the winch mount out of sheetmetal bent/cut into a box and MIG-welded at the corners. I figure the front face of the box will make a fairly strong mounting surface for a brush guard or stinger in the future.

I soldered a male and female Dean's connector together and then soldered the winch's power wires in the center, to make a nifty inline connector in between the ESC and battery.

The controller unit itself ziptied neatly next to the motor. It helps disguise the Mongoose's bling, too.

Here's an overhead shot showing all the wiring. I tried to clean it up, but there's kind of a lot going on.

Now I need to buy or make a fairlead for the bumper. As you can see, I've been hitting the rocks a bit already with this body...I just couldn't help myself.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Well, the snow's finally melted enough to go outside and play. I found a nice spot just east of Longmont full of rocks, some concrete, and just a bit of mud. I even got to use the winch a little, which is operated from the grip switch on my old DX3. I was pretty darn impressed with how well it did, especially with the 10 ounce hardbody on top. The Mud thrashers did great on the rocks, even with a little mud on them. For what it's worth, I had also swapped the 15T pinion for a 13T that just arrived in the mail. It seemed to make it a lot more controllable.

Here's some cell-phone pics from today's fun. Whaddya thinkl?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Great work.
Would 1.55 wheels and tires fit a stock mrc?
(direct fit, no mods to hub?)
JCO245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO245 View Post
Great work.
Would 1.55 wheels and tires fit a stock mrc?
(direct fit, no mods to hub?)
Thanks. I don't know about all 1.55" wheels/tires, but these have a 12mm hex on the back and fit the same as stock, maybe a touch wider stance but that's it. I've seen some 1.55" wheels with a pin mount on the back, but it looks like they'll fit too if you remove the hex from the axle.

Anyways, the front bumper was really starting to get scratched after yesterday's fun - so I went for a tube bumper in the form of an RPM front bumper for a Revo. It looks like a little Smittybilt unit on the Silverado, which for what it's worth measures out to be 1/12 scale. Not too ugly IMO.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Just as an update...I went to a scale comp this past weekend, my first crawling event ever. Even as ignorant as I really am about crawling , my little truck did pretty well in the 1.9 class, in fact I got first place on the second course. I think I got 11th out of 24 overall though...I wasn't as good on the time trial. Sure was fun though!

Here's a cellphone picture from the event. You can see how small my Silverado is compared to the 1/10 scale trucks.

Tags
hardbody, l-trail, mrc, scaler