Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
MMP all sealed up and waterproofed. I barely got it to fit back in it's original case! The brushless connectors will get some silicon. I'm going to put the rx in a balloon. I may waterproof the servo similar to the ESC, but I'll add dielectric grease to the splined output, as well.

To better explain an issue I'm having, I took a few pics. You'll see in this pic, the front axle is a little too far forward in the fender opening....just barely. So the body needs to slide forward just a bit.

Here's the issue I've got. The shaft of the tranny hits the bed, preventing the body from sliding farther forward.

I could raise the body and then it could slide forward, but I want the body slammed on the chassis so that's out.

I could slide the front axle back with shorter links, but I like the relationship between the steering servo, track bar, tie rod, etc. so I won't change that.

I could flip the tranny around, but then the spur gear would prevent my interior from going in.

So really, the only viable option is to clearance the bed a little bit so the body can slide forward ~1/4". I hate to cut into the bed at all, but I think I'll just build a small toolbox for the bed to hide the hole. Any other thoughts?
I know it involves money, but how about using an rc4wd r2 transmission? you will probably be able to do everything you want without cutting.
just my 2 cents, good luck
drplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Just flip the skid 180*, this will put the spur towards the center of the cab.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
But then you have the spur sitting in the middle of the interior.

Personally, I would clearance the cab/bed then hide the shaft with a toolbox or cooler or something, it seems like the easiest and simplest way to go.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Actually having the save issue on a Hilux and was thinking of making a 50Lb bag of Tops Dog Food that we use for the hunting Dogs. Print the image on brown paper, use some twine and sew the top shut. And it will cover a nice spot. That works for me, but there are a lot of creative ways to cover clearancing the shaft.

But I thought he fixed it by going without a slipper?
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
and you'll have a motor hitting the box now too.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Looks like she is coming together nicely!

Did you ever think about running some 70mm or 80mm RC4WD scale shocks in the rear? I am thinking about ordering a set for my C1 Hilux, its getting wood flat bed.
Good idea, Justin! I've got some TLTs coming that hopefully will work, but if not, those RC4WD dampers look like a decent alternative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplastic View Post
I know it involves money, but how about using an rc4wd r2 transmission? you will probably be able to do everything you want without cutting.
just my 2 cents, good luck
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
But then you have the spur sitting in the middle of the interior.

Personally, I would clearance the cab/bed then hide the shaft with a toolbox or cooler or something, it seems like the easiest and simplest way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Actually having the save issue on a Hilux and was thinking of making a 50Lb bag of Tops Dog Food that we use for the hunting Dogs. Print the image on brown paper, use some twine and sew the top shut. And it will cover a nice spot. That works for me, but there are a lot of creative ways to cover clearancing the shaft.

But I thought he fixed it by going without a slipper?
I appreciate the input, guys, but the issue was resolved 100% by removing the slipper. Plenty of room now!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Today I finished up the front and rear body mounts. Once I did that I was able to cycle the suspension and see how the tire clearance is. Turns out the front tires were really getting into the fenders when stuffed/turned....even with the suspension limited. So I made the decision to trim off the lower fascia/fenders below the bumper to gain some clearance. It's better now, but I still had to limit the suspension travel.

Here's a quarter view showing what I removed. You can also see the metal plate underneath which is where the winch fairlead will be located.

Time is really running short so I may just run the front with the plastic bumper for now. I really need to fab up the sliders and a rear bumper so I'll work on them first and if I get them done soon enough I'll re-visit the prospect of a nicer front bumper setup before Nationals in a month.

Last edited by Tommy R; 04-24-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post

Time is really running short so I may just run the front with the plastic bumper for now.
How long does it take to mount a body to an SCX-10 anyway????
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
How long does it take to mount a body to an SCX-10 anyway????
You hush!! I'm about to start the re-build of my 2.2 rig and then have to learn how to drive with rear steer, so I really want to wrap up this truck ASAP.

Aaaaaaanyway.... It's not much of an update, but the fairlead is mounted now.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Last night a buddy of mine sprayed clear urethane over the entire body, including the decals. Hopefully it'll preserve them, but the gloss and depth of the color is SO much nicer now which is a nice bonus. I'll have to get an outside pic 'cause inside pictures just don't do it justice, IMO.

I've been struggling with the rear shocks on this thing. The touring car shocks were too short. The turned-down TLTs I just picked up were too long. But today I tried a longer Axial shaft in a touring car shock and I finally have a combination that will work! Ignore the ugly bracket, that's just for mock up.

And I started a rear bumper out of stainless rod, but I'm not so sure I'm feeling it.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #111
Pebble Pounder

i honestly like it w/o a back bumper but if you do want one i would say a solid one that only goes from one side to the other......... and I think you should get some shorter shocks and mount them straight up and down because tht slant is just to unscale IMO
slash23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash23 View Post
i honestly like it w/o a back bumper but if you do want one i would say a solid one that only goes from one side to the other......... and I think you should get some shorter shocks and mount them straight up and down because tht slant is just to unscale IMO
Well, I definitely want some form of rear bumper to protect the body so it'll get something. Just not really sure what. If I can't decide on something I like, I may just slap the stock plastic bumper on for the time being.

And I agree the angled shocks are less scale. However, an upright shock that would fit under the dropped bed wouldn't offer much articulation at all (I tried), so if I want this thing to flex over a pebble, the shocks need to be angled. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately. It may get leafs in the rear one of these days and then I would re-visit the shock angle.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #113
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i love the bumper, add some upright bars in it, and maybe even a hitch and mount her up. looks very 'yota to me.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i love the bumper, add some upright bars in it, and maybe even a hitch and mount her up. looks very 'yota to me.
Thanks, Cory! I would definitely add a tow point or two, in addition to a spot for a license plate. All the tube work will eventually be powder coated gloss black.....or maybe silver metallic to match the stripes?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Here's a pic of how it sits now. The aluminum under the bed will be painted black to hide it. The outside pic shows the paint a little better, too. Ride height will be a little lower because it's lacking a battery/ESC/rx here.

And a flex shot!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #116
~THE SCALE SHOP~

gorgous.
impressive flex too.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
gorgous.
impressive flex too.
I was quite surprised by the amount of articulation, especially since the front have about 3/8" of bump stops installed. Can't wait to get this done so I can drive it!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Awsome paint work,love the shine,now dont scratch it on its first outing,thats guna hurt something bad. I say shelf queen it,its way to nice.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Thanks very much for the compliments, but it's just against my nature to have a shelf queen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to drive this truck with reckless abandon, but I definitely want to enjoy it! The plan is to armor it pretty well to protect the finish.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

I wonder if the thick clear decals for 1:1 rocker protection would work, or just look hack?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote