Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BlueBronco budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: BlueBronco budget build

very nice work on the axial trans with trasefercase. Ive been wanting to do that for awhile now, but couldnt figure out how too. Im not a ford fan but that bronco looks great.
J.
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #202
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
That's looking good Matt.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Long time so see, how are things???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
very nice work on the axial trans with trasefercase. Ive been wanting to do that for awhile now, but couldnt figure out how too. Im not a ford fan but that bronco looks great.
J.
Thanks! Ive had the transfer case for a while now but couldt convince myself to take the plunge. The front gear shreading itself meant I had to tear it down anyways so I figure why not!

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #203
RCC Addict

More styrene, more glue, lots of measuring, eyeballing, taking it all apart and tryin over last night got me to this point.

Got the firewall roughed in inside and out to clear the trans, spur and pinion. I still need to smooth some stuff out and then itll be good. It clears everything juuuuust barely at the moment but it does clear. I also trimmed the rear "bed" walls due to them bein about 1/4" too tall (which was annoying). Ide like to move on to smoothing it all up, sealing it (shoe goo for strength) and then look at putting a dash together. Then I gotta figure out what I wanna do to mount it all together with the body/frame.

Matt
Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #204
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Thanks man! Long time so see, how are things???

Matt
Good man. Just bought a kit and I'm working on collecting parts for it now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #205
RCC Addict

Good to hear man!!!

Sent these pics to a couple people this weekend...figured Ide share em here this morning. I think Ive lost my mind.

Started small

And then spread like crazy

I did alot of work this weekend sealing up the rear tub, getting it ready to mate with the rear fenders and tailgate and putting together some LEDs in the rear before i seal it all up. While waiting for some of that to dry I got to work on the dashboard in an attempt to try and get this thing ready for finishing touches and paint. What a mess.

Heres the only shot I got of the dash. I have made some progress since this shot but forgot to snap a pic.

Matt
Old 12-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #206
RCC Addict

I have been playing around with doing this to the enclosed body i got for mine. with out the whole splitting it all up. was thinking about making the top removable though.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #207
RCC Addict

Another evening, another little bit of progress LOL. I found some slightly larger aluminum tubing the other day while on a Styrene run so I put together some tips for the Bronco. I wasnt super happy with the size of the other tubing I was using so this is perfect. I dont like flashy exhaust tips so Ill keep it looking like your standard exhaust pipe.

Heres a shot of the complete exhaust. Just a couple tweaks here and there when the body comes together and Itll be set.

FINALLY got the parts in I needed (after 2 weeks of waiting for USPS to walk them to me from AZ) to complete the stub shaft between the trans and transfer. I brazed it together with safety silv and then tried my damndest to get it to break and its held up so far. Only trail abuse will tell if itll hold but Im happy for now.

She's a runner! Runs pretty decent too. Now Ive got it pretty much 100% mechanically running, just need to get the body/tub together and mounted then I can start running electronics a little better.

I also got some work done on the dash and tub. I added alot of silly little details to the underside of the tub just because. Ive got to figure out how I plan to mount it to the frame and then smooth some stuff out, paint it and move on. As for the dash, I got everything where I want it and just need to paint it so I can add final details then attach it to the tub later. I also had a fun idea for my lighting setup but more on that later!

LEDs are finished gluing into the rear body panels so now I can move on to attaching it to the tub and priming and painting it all!

Matt
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #208
RCC Addict

I see you chose to mount the t-case as so you will have an overdriven frontend
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
I see you chose to mount the t-case as so you will have an overdriven frontend
Yup and its a little more like a 1:1 would be so I figured it was a win/win. Again, Ive not seen many divorced transfer kits on early Broncos but hey, the owner of this one has weird preferences If I ever swapped in a TF2 trans or similar Ide prolly make a tiny stub shaft to make it look like a 1:1 trans/transfer case setup but this will work for now!

Matt
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #210
RCC Addict

Even with a tf2 or g2 trans and coupling, it'd still look more like a divorced case setup than a stock 1:1 would look. Bout the only way to get the stock look would be to runa fracture v8, then your front chunk would be on the wrong side for a stock 1:1 ford

Just my $0.02
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #211
RCC Addict

True, would look closer than what Ive got but not enough to make it worth foolin with so for now, divorced with a custom skid it is!

Matt
Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #212
RCC Addict

Last night was spent waiting for paint and ShoeGoo to dry mostly so I didnt get much of anything done. I got the tub in primer and ready for the rear panels to go on

I also went ahead and primed/painted the dash to get an idea on what Im lookin at and also allow me to start detailing it.

Im debating on whether I want to keep it fresh and clean or weather it a bit as if the paint job is old. I will probably repaint the outside panels so it will look shiny and new for a bit but when the abuse catches up I would like the interior to match. Ill figure it out lol. I was also workin on the trans and transfer shifters and wasnt super happy with the axial parts so I started making my own. I then accidentally knocked my transfer shifter (modded axial piece) down the drain (dont ask, it was a hitch hiker when taking pics of the tub and I didnt realized it till it was gone LOL) which made me mad but now forces me to make my own which I shoulda done in the first place. Slowly but surely its starting to come together!

Matt
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Looks real good man, I like it a lot. I've been following this one for a long time, and damn, she's had a rough life haha

What are you using for the styrene joints, shoe-goo and a bonding agent (Tenax or similar)?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #214
RCC Addict

Tenax mostly and shoegoo once its all together in certain areas for extra strength where it might need it. Works really well so far!
Matt
Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #215
RCC Addict

Between gettin the house ready for Christmas with the Family and shopping, spending time with everyone AND bein sick, I havnt had much time to work on the Bronco which is a slight bummer lol. I did get the dash sorted out and lookin pretty decent tho!

Been foolin with some shift levers and am tryin to figure out how I wanna make boots for them, then I can toss them on, add some small details here and there and get ready to glue the tub together!!!

Merry Christmas everyone, hope yall have a great time with those you love and care for!

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 12-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #216
Rock Crawler

Very nice job with the dash, wish I had the motivation to work on mine
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Shoot, yours and LoneRanger's 1.55 builds ARE my motivation to take this rig to the next level! I have untold number of pics of your rig printed off to use as reference and help keep me on track!

Matt
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Totally off the hook dude. Can't wait for more progress...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #219
RCC Addict

Got a little work on the dash done, gonna show off one of a few little tricks that I thought of...tinkered with then said "Hell...why NOT!?!?"

In 1:1 world, I would have moved the light switch down to where the dual tank switch is but in scale terms, this was the best place I could put this and be able to get at it easily.

Lights Off

Lights On

Heres how I did it.

Put a panel behind the dash for the switch to mount to, drilled the switch for the nail to go through, cut the nail to length and groved it to grab the switch and then JBwelded it together. All I need to do now is finish up the lighting on the body and then solder it all together. Im thinkin I will put the battery to run the lights behind the other side of the dash and make the dash removeable for easy access. Im excited to see it all in action when its all together!

I also started completely over on my transmission shifter and should have it done shortly. Ide like to move on to the front fenders of the inner tub and get the rear body mounted soon so I can paint it. After all that I can finally have some fun adding little details but I dont wanna rush just yet.

Matt
Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #220
Rock Crawler

Awesome switch! ...and rest of truck! haha
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote