Notices

Thread: BlueBronco budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #241
RCC Addict

Default Re: BlueBronco budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
Absolutely love this thing. Now I must get a bronco body and try this... Greta job.
If you do...go check out AK and Lonerangers builds and you will have plenty to go by...thats what I did!!! I tool around all the crazy builds goin on in this place and it gives me ideas and courage to step up and try it. Im nowhere near as awesome as some of the guys on here but Im happy with where Im headed. Only thing Im hoping for is that it holds up decently to abuse cause Ive never built a rig to look at...I love hitting the trails with em. I dropped the tub yesterday and gasped...then I laughed at myself. This sucked will see MUCH worse when it goes outside so might as well get it out of the system now

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #242
Quarry Creeper

I love all the scale touches on this Bronco, Matt. I can't wait to see it in person. I hope you have it at the meet on the 25th.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #243
RCC Addict

If its not running I'll still bring it in whatever shape its in so you can see it. I might get lucky and have it goin but I don't wanna rush it. Got some slow tedious work on the doors done. Need some hinges and more time to fool with it. Gonna try and light up the front and attach the front clip soon too.

Matt
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #244
RCC Addict

Been workin late every day for the last little bit so progress hasnt exactly been made, but last night in an attempt to stay motivated and scratch the itch I bolted the tub to the frame, taped the front clip on just to see how things were lining up.

Lights finally work too, forgot about that!!!

Its lookin like itll line up pretty close and only be a slight bother to bolt all together mainly because the dash gets in the way of the front bolts (whoops). Not enough that it cant be done tho. I was working on the doors before and put them together with the body and the passenger door is spot on but the window frame of the drivers door need some tweakin. Otherwise, just gotta wait for work to calm down so I can actually spend more than 3 seconds with this thing again!

Matt
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #245
RCC Addict

Oh...and Bronco guys might notice but the floor is a little taller than 1:1 under the seat but it was the only way I could make the floor in the rear work without completely re-doing the frame and rear suspension setup. I wont put any frame work under the seats which keeps them the right height and itll look ok in the end. It also gives me better clearance which allowed me to keep the transfer case a little higher up so it is what it is! Need to figure out some stock looking seats...or keep the buckets, either way.

Matt
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #246
RCC Addict

Sooooo...I was getting frustrated on tryin to figure out how to keep all the wiring and electronics such as the HeyOk winch controller, BEC and Receiver together when the body wasnt attached to the frame. I had some ideas but then I would have to take alot of stupid stuff apart just to fix a simple wiring issue or swap a part out on the trail. After lots of annoying thought I finally said hell with it.

I started out super slow and patient trying my best to keep the window frame attached to the fenders...which failed LOL. There were stress cracks (not sure HOW that happened) from the past abuse (oh thats how) and the windshield fell right off LOL. Thats ok tho, I will mount it up and all will be well again but now Im sure happy cause I can get to the electronics and NOT the body off the frame. Gonna glue the fenders down and then figure out some hinges. Im not gonna worry too much about underhood detail and focus on function at the moment as I do plan on flogging this thing regularly.

Matt
Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #247
RCC Addict

Front fenders are secured and straight too which Im REALLY pleased with!!!

Interior paint took a whoopin from the tape I used but oh well...Ill respray or touch up later.

Need to do some filler between the interior and front panels then figure out some hinges for the door and get crackin on those suckers! Electronics are all in place and with some work I can fit it all under the hood which makes me happy. Gonna need some hinges for the hood as well as a way to latch it shut.

Matt
Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #248
RCC Addict

Looking good Matt. Can't wait to see it all together

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #249
RCC Addict

I know its been a while but despite being super busy Ive managed to tinker around a bit with the Bronco in my few spare moments. Ive got the doors together and they are shaping up nicely as are the door panels.

Door panels are styrene with some pieces from the Axial interior tree then I sprayed em with Plastidip to give em that old vinyl look. They are quick and rough and I like em that way. If I was goin for a restored look I would clean em up a bunch but with some weathering they should look right at home in a 40 year old trail rig.

Little more sanding and filling and then a little tweaking of the window angles to match the windshield frame and top and itll be ready for paint. Im looking at some hinges for the doors and hood as we speak. Not sure if Im gonna try to mimick the 1:1 hinges or just make it work with what I got. Ill see what I can figure out.

Matt
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #250
Rock Crawler

Doors look Awesome! Cant wait to see what you come up with for the hinges
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #251
Rock Crawler

Your effing doors are AWESOME! That looks about like my real trail rig currently! haha

Great job!

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #252
RCC Addict

I appreciate it guys. I still wanna do some weathering to help make the roughness come together and make sense. To tell the truth tho, in mockup with the doors on the rig you cant even tell they arent perfect, only a good shot from a decent camera can help pick em apart. I didnt want em perfect anyways so hopefully my idea with them will come together.

Well...I said I wasnt gonna pursue 1:1 style hinges for the doors, but I lied. After looking up small scale hinges online I came to the realization that I could easily make them if I tried hard enough. Looked at some pics of actual Bronco hinges and got out a scrap piece of sheet steel and got to work.

Not too bad for about an hours work (all 4 hinges took me an hour)! I am lookin at my options for mounting hardware at the moment, then Ill see what I need to do to mount em up to the body.

Matt
Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #253
Rock Crawler

SWEET
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #254
RCC Addict

They dont look like much now but when I get em on the doors and body itll look legit! I have some scale hardware on the way that will hopefully fit and allow me to mount em up. If not Ill figure another way to go about it lol

Matt
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #255
RCC Addict

This is really coming together nicely Matt. Keep up the good work

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #256
Rock Crawler

need an update Matt, seriously thinking of doing a class 1 rig, working on logistics now, body, axles, etc... frame will be custom, will do a basic interior, etc... And I mean a class 1 rig I can RUN, not my stupid scale rig. lol

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #257
RCC Addict

I got my scale hardware in today! Gotta work late but if I can get a couple minutes tonight to do some mock up Ill try to get the hinges on and the doors mounted. This rig is just like you said, built to be run and run hard. I know Ill be breaking things the first couple runs but hopefully after a bit or repair and rebuild Ill have her pretty stout!

Matt
Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

I love watching the transformation of this rig.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #259
RCC Addict

Noob...I appreciate it for sure, I appreciate all of yall spending the time to post up and encourage me along the way to tell the truth. She's not as pretty, as scale or anywhere as well done and perfect as alot of rigs Ive seen built and take inspiration from but Im havin a blast, learning a ton and lovin every bit of it. Pain in the ass at time but when it all comes together and it looks like a wore out, beat up trail Bronco...Ill be proud!!!

Then Ill go beat it to pieces again and start all over LOL

Matt
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #260
RCC Addict

Got my super scale hardware in last night from LockedUpRC! Good lookin stuff to say the least, and small enough to be able to use on my door hinges which is perfect!!!

I cut slots in the doors, inserted the hinges and bolted them up behind the inner door skin similar to a 1:1.

If I coulda made the hinges a tad smaller they would fit a little more flush to the door skin but I dont care, it looks legit to me and if you hold it a couple inches back it looks good. A little paint and they will blend right in like they should yet hopefully be strong enough to hold up along the way.

Now all I need to do is bolt the other end of the hing to the body and the doors will be set! Add some paint, some small details and a limiting strap and I can move on.

Matt