Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BlueBronco budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #301
Quarry Creeper

Im just wondering if you could post some pics of your front suspension.
itsjust me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #302
RCC Addict

Default Re: BlueBronco budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjust me View Post
Im just wondering if you could post some pics of your front suspension.
Check out Page 8 for full details on the suspension setup!

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #303
RCC Addict

Got the Bronco out this weekend for another shake down run up at Shanty Hollow.

Had to make up an extension for the battery wires to reach the ESC (ran outta time to make my permanent setup before the ride) so thats why the hood doesnt fit right but otherwise she was in good workin order and itchin to hit some rough stuff!!!

She ran like a champ all day despite a weird occasional hiccup from the ESC and made it a good ways on the 2200 2cell. I will be ordering a couple more of these soon! No broken parts, hit the trail like a champ and was a ton of fun to crawl. Lost the side floor panel where the battery access was made but I can make another no problem! Lookin forward to gettin it out again soon.

Matt
Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #304
RCC Addict

Looks great man, love the transformation you've made with it.

How long do you estimate a battery pack lasted for you? I was running a 2200 2s in my F-250 with Holmes gear (BR-XL and 35t TorqueMaster Sport) the other day and got about 45 mins out of it, and that was with a lot of full throttle trail running.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #305
RCC Addict

Hour to an hour and a half of trail running! I'm running a MMP and 17.5 brushless which seems to be an efficient setup! I love the little setup and look forward to abusing it again soon. Would love to be able to put multiple packs through it!

Matt
Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #306
RCC Addict

Took the BlueBronco out to Fall Creek Falls this weekend. Had some tire issues that I forgot about till the night before and didnt have time to patch em up so I tossed on some RC4WD tires I had layin around and called it a day. They caused some traction issues but I eventually got around it and was able to crawl all day which is all that matters!

Decided to run the doors on this time around. Still dont have the top finished up just yet but will soon enough.

Not far down the trail from the first pic she took a nasty roll (didnt go off the trail and down the side of the gorge tho which is good). Ended up bending the roll bar at the top and breaking the window frame off the driver's door. I picked up the pieces and will repair...altho Im eyeballing some 1:1s that remove them altogether. Doesnt look right with the top on tho I dont think.

Eventually the battery ran out but rather than call it a day and get the Mule out, I tossed a 3 cell in the cab and carried on. I might put together something to secure the battery in the cab for future rides...maybe a center console or somethin.

LOVE this picture. Rain storm blew in creating some cool little pools along the trail. This one happened to be RIGHT on the edge of the trail and a wicked dropoff to the creek below. Was fun to crawl through, just had to be careful!

Speaking of being careful. Realized that I hadnt taken any shots of the detailed underside. She was one more roll away from a long ride down the side of the gorge lol

Had a great time and look forward to getting her straightened back up and out again soon!

Matt
Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #307
Rock Crawler

ok, the underside is the cats ass! great shot!

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #308
RCC Addict

Thanks! Realizing how often I found it on its lid I figured the extra detail underneath would get plenty of attention on the trails lol. Gonna hide the servo horn a little better down the road but otherwise Ill leave it pretty much as is.

Cleaned the ole Bronco off a bit from the last ride and got started repairing/reinforcing any damage or weak spots. Roll bar is straight again, rear body mounts are redone and bulletproof now. Need to repair the drivers door some and then start working on getting the removable top. I have an idea that should be strong and durable yet easy to remove and toss aside. I also need to come up with some better foams for the 3.5" TSLs. I need to tear the front two apart to repair anyways so Ill work on something while Im at it. Gonna add a better servo while Im at it then she should be ready for more abuse.

Matt
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #309
I wanna be Dave

This is such a great little build - you've done a fantastic job on it.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #310
RCC Addict

Thanks man...its amazing how tough it is...especially considering I built it lol. I thought for sure it would A) Suck performance wise and B) be too pretty and have too much hard work in it to want to bash it buuuuuuut...both turned out to be wrong. The more beat up it gets the better I like it really and it crawls so nice I cant help but want to keep abusing it!!!

Tightened up a loose driveshaft between the trans and transfer case and got the Bronco out for some fun this weekend. Didnt last long as the 645 crapped out and I lost steering. I knew it was getting weak...now I HAVE to swap it out lol

I fixed the broken window frame on the drivers door but it broke off again immediately. Might cut em both out not sure. What I am sure of is that I love this little rig, driving it is alot more fun that i would ever have imagined.

Matt
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #311
RCC Addict

Been kicking around some ideas on how to mount the hardtop and make it a) easy to put on and take off b) Strong enough to stay together on a nasty roll over and c) strong enough to handle the abuse Im gonna toss at it at all times. I put the aluminum tubing in the bronco body and finally got around to putting the slightly thinner tubing on the top last night. Unfortunately one of the rear posts decided to fuse itself to the inner piece (my stupidity) but thats an easy fix. Otherwise, the 4 corner posts are in and all I need to do is add some clips and guides to the windshield and front of the top to help line it up and keep it lined up. The cab and windshield arent entirely squared up (imagine that...somethin I built not square?!?!?!?) but with some tabs it will be perfect! Im also gonna add a lip to the bottom edges like the 1:1 just for stength and rigidity as well as toss some shoegoo into the stress points like I usually do with Lexan bodies for added strength. No, the top wont attach and reattach like a 1:1 but I honestly dont care. This will work better for the smaller scale and look just fine!!!

Matt
Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #312
RCC Addict

That's awesome Matt. Looks like it'll work perfectly.
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #313
RCC Addict

Hey man!!! Long time no see, how are things?!?!?!

Yeah its not entirely pretty but neither is the rig nor what I put it through so it should work great! Im gonna make some windows for the sides and leave the rear glass with all the decals for now. Im thinking bout hinging the rear like the 1:1 and being able to open it up. Not sure tho as the spare is in the way but it would still be kinda neat to swing the spare out and open the rear glass. Then Ide need to make the rear tailgate open but thats another thing for another day!

Matt
Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #314
RCC Addict

Im good man. A swing out tires carrier and fold down tailgate would be sweet.
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #315
RCC Addict

The tire carrier already swings out and a fold down tailgate shouldnt be too bad to put together, just have to figure out a way to strengthen the rear of the cab but then again...it might be pretty stout as it sits. Only one way to find out and thats to cut the tailgate out and see LOL

Matt
Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #316
RCC Addict

Got the top mounted and the alignment/mounting tabs for the windshield section figured out. Not sure how strong it will be until I go and abuse it but so far so good!

Small cylinders from an aluminum rivet and the pin of the rivet make up the setup. It hides well enough when the top is off and works great to line up the top and the windshield and hold it all together.

I also pulled the 645 servo out and swapped in a 7954 I had layin around. Should be PLENTY for the little Bronco. Just need the screw to attach the servo horn and Ill be good to go!

Was pretty cool to be able to pop the hood and do the entire job from right there. Didnt have to remove the body or anything else along the way. Looks like I accidentally made it easy and convenient to work on while I was at it LOL. The only thing I would need to remove the body for would be to work on the trans or motor. Not bad. Gotta find that stupid screw then Ill be able to see how strong my new top mounts are!

Matt
Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #317
Rock Crawler

The body work and interior are just amazing on this rig man. I have read this entire build thread more then once and I have to say its one of the best on here. Awesome job man!
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #318
RCC Addict

I appreciate it for sure! I look up to alot of builders on here, now especially more than ever. I dont know if I have in me to do another to this extent and I also was afraid I would "baby" this rig with all the work I put in it...but nope, she is just as much fun to abuse and had held up really well so far. The more beat up it gets the better it looks to me too so Im all about it! Hope to have some fun with it this weekend so Ill be adding more pics if all goes well!

Matt
Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #319
Rock Crawler

I have a scratch built 73 bronco build thread in the scx10 section. No way near the detail you have tho.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #320
RCC Addict

Ive seen yours and most of the other Broncos on here, there are quite a few good ones! Dont worry bout comparing yours to anyone elses on here, its yours and so long as your having fun building, modding and abusing it out on the trails then thats all that matters!!!

Matt