Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BlueBronco budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Sinking with the ship

That last spout you crawled in florida looked like a sick spot like the build. Maybe I missed, but what did you use to safely strip the lexan body?

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #22
RCC Addict

The last spot in Florida was amazing but I found it on the last day I was there and it happened to be a Sat so it was busy as crap. Some lady came out and sat down right where I was crawlin and was listenin to her Ipod and readin a book so I couldnt go as far down the beach as I wanted and it looked amazing where she was. I was gonna wait till she moved on but the driveshaft gave up while I was messin around in the sand. I plan on goin again next year and hittin it up a couple times!

I used Dot4 brake fluid and alot of patience and it came right off. The paint was comin apart thanks to me puttin too many layers on the shell so strippin it was a bit slow but it worked really really well! I will use this method until someone comes out with soemthin better tho thats for sure!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Heres a couple shots of the new rear suspension thanks to RCBros and Tamiya. Shes still dirty from the beating she went thru earlier in the day but I couldnt wait to attack the swap.

Here it is all mounted up. Not the best pics but you get the gist.

Im only running a single leaf at the moment, got an assortment of smaller helper leafs on the way as we speak but I wanted to see what she could do. I did the "Chino" mod and to tell the truth, this thing flexes really well. Once I add the helpers it will take a while to break in but should be alot stronger and hopefully reliable.

Hopefully the other springs will make it here before the weekend and I can really test it out. I was able to clear all the same sections that I used to and I noticed it seem to handle steep inclines better which would be awesome!

Matt
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I did a little more work on the leaf setup this past week, moved the rear shackle forward a bit, cut the rear of the frame off to allow the shackle to move correctly, added some additional springs to the mix to strengthen them up and put together a new body mount setup for the rear.

I wheeled it with some buddies and was not entirely pleased with the way it handled. At first I swapped my reduced TSLs to MrEd and ran his tires. I missed my TSLs to say the least but these looked kinda nice at least!

It was very wet and muddy so these tires made gettin up slick rocks interesting. With some work they would finally hook up and go

We eventually swapped back and I was better able to see the difference between the old 4 link setup and the leafs. Heres a pitiful flex shot on the new Tamiya springs.

After that we hit up some really nasty mud and water sections that I basically killed my electronics in...again. I was smart and shut down shortly after it took a big fall into a pool but she was dead non the less. I took it apart at home, put the esc and servo parts in some alcohol then baked em for 40 minutes on low low low heat and now they both work perfectly thank God!!! This particular creek bed has already claimed a servo and an ESC from the Bronco just last week, didnt wanna do it again!

I took her out again yesterday afternoon and she's did ALOT better. These springs still dont flex as well as I know they eventually will but they are breaking in nicely. MUCH better time, crawled all over everything I wanted to and I didnt kill any electronics so I was happy. Ill post pics from that adventure later tonight as well as some shots of my new rear body mount setup and some fender flares Im workin on!
Matt
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
RcBros Hobbies

Be patient with the springs and allow them to break in fully as you have been. You'll be happy with the results. Keep up the great work!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Love the kit, great stuff and stupid easy to install! Your right tho, I read about having patience and letting them break in but I must say my patience was pushed the first couple runs I put on em but this last day of running really seemed to come together. Either the springs are breaking in or Im learning to drive around them...or both lol but I had a BLAST yesterday.

We explored this little spot next to the river for a couple hours. It was wet, muddy, with some rocks here and there. Unlike the creek which is more obstacles than anything, this was more like an adventure/trail ride and the Bronco ate it up. I didnt take many pics unfortunately, but here are the two I got.

I think if these springs break in just a tad more Ill be back to where I was with the 4 link rear. Im working on a shock setup to get rid of some bounce while tryin to climb steep inclines but otherwise its starting to come together. I stumbled across an idea a couple Jeep guys put together for an "anti-wrap" setup called the "BamBar". I adapted the idea using what I had layin around and heres what I got so far. I used two 3 link trusses mounted together to eliminate any up and down travel and mounted the 3 link to it. It still allows articulation but wont allow the pinion to go up or down without hampering flex in any way so far as I can tell.

Heres a shot of the new rear body post setup. I used some rod ends and the body post mounts that came with the spare parts tree. I ran a screw and a washer into the post mount and used the screws holding the "gas tank" in to mount the setup. The posts you see are temperary but will do till I find some actual mounts. The body is a bit higher now in the rear so I can put together a rear bumper/tire carrier.

Im almost done addind the new fender flares, once I get em finished I will post pics then I can move on to the rest of the tube work.
Matt
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

nice rig man...how's the Leaf spring kit? doing well than shocks set up??
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I actually now am starting the love the leaf setup. The performed AMAZING with the shock/3 link setup so it was tuff at first to swap to the stiff leafs but now they are starting to break in and the flex is almost back to where it was. A couple advantages are better uphill climb thanks to the rear being a bit stiffer. I get some bouncing that hurts a bit but I think some shocks will help that. Another thing is wide open throttle I can actually turn now without flipping over lol, not that it matters while crawling but it is fun. I plan on stickin with it for a while tho, so long as I dont have to replace leafs all that often. I have some Chino Military wrapped springs comin from RPP so I have some options and spares.

On a side not, I just finished up the fender flares but left the camera at home. I will post up some pics when I get off work!
Matt
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
PapaGriz Yo

This rig is soooo cool! I am in love with the scaleness. I have always liked the 1.55 RC4WD TSL's for their scale look, but I gotta admit your SX 2's are right up there.

Keep this bad ass rig going.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Thanks Grizz...its an honor comin from you! Ive been ALL over your build lookin for ideas when I was putting together the CompCourier! This truck is so much fun to run...I think its safe to say its not goin anwhere that Im not controlling it lol. I LOVE the short TSLs!!! I was afraid they would be too wide but they ended up bein spot on for a scale 38" tire. Im gonna keep goin in the scale department...but I dont wanna ruin how fun it is to wheel so performance will not be sacrificed if possible. Im gonna rework the front inner fenders, put together some for the rear and get goin on the rear bumper/slider here shortly. Lights are in the future as well I hope.
Matt
Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Here are a couple shots of the newly finished fender flares. I hated having to cut the stock ones off, but the tires were rubbing like crazy so off they came. Keeping with the streetable trail rig look I did a ton of research to find a flare that looked as much like an aftermarket Bronco flare as possible...and couldnt find anything so it was back to the drawing board for me. And this is what I came up with...

What I ended up doin is grabbing a Proline Bronco and cut the flares off of it. I then gave the body to my buddy whos doin a bigger tire build and didnt want the flares lol. They look like some Bushwackers or Guerrilla Warflares and the tires only barely rub.

I then painted them and slightly detailed them. They are held on with ShoeGoo which was a farely clean procedure altho I do have a couple goobers but nothin worth bothering with.

No the tires dont tuck, but they look awesome and Im beyond happy!!! Gonna take it out Sat on a really long and nasty hiking trail so we will see how well these things take the abuse lol
Matt
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #32
RcBros Hobbies

Flares look great. From the first picture it appears your rear is a tad higher then the front, I'd suggest de-arching the springs a bit more to reduce the height, but will also give you better performance.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Good eye!!! The front springs are super soft and the shocks need to be rebuilt. They tend to sag under the weight of all the electronics, battery, servo and winch so Im gonna tear them down and refill them with oil and see if I either need to put a little heavier spring in or preload em a bit more. Either way, if I pull the front up and release the pressure on the suspension then put it down the rear will sit just a tad lower than the front which works for me. Ive also noticed that the more it breaks in, the less arch the leafs have so maybe itll lower itself a bit more before its truely broken in.

Matt
Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #34
PapaGriz Yo

Those look just like the 1:1 Warflares. Nice job!
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Thanks! I think I nailed what I was wanting to do and the fact that the Bronco body I stole em from is bein used by a good friend just makes it even better After seein that pic Im thinkin Ill go ahead and add some little bars to the front bumper to complete it.

Another thing Im thinkin bout tryin to do (pic reminded me) is seperate the spring from the shock up front like most 1:1 Bronco's have it. Ive found plenty of coil over swap pics but this is more of a street/trail style rig so I might give it a shot. I have some MRC shocks at my disposal which I might use in the rear, but up front Ide like to find some skinny shocks and run the springs seperate...dang, now I cant wait to get home and get back to work lol
Matt
Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

That looks great. !..

Did you just leaf the rear? I need to do that to mine. Just a little more scale then.

Great job on the truck.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Yep! Broncos are only leafed in the rear and have coils up front. Right now mine looks like an EB with a custom coilover job up front and it might have to stay that way unless I do away with my panhard bar, its in the way of runnin a spring by itself to the axle and a shock behind it. Meh...might figure another way around it, or Ill just call it good enough lol
Matt
Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

nice information well, I got Tamiya leaf spring, are they same or different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I actually now am starting the love the leaf setup. The performed AMAZING with the shock/3 link setup so it was tuff at first to swap to the stiff leafs but now they are starting to break in and the flex is almost back to where it was. A couple advantages are better uphill climb thanks to the rear being a bit stiffer. I get some bouncing that hurts a bit but I think some shocks will help that. Another thing is wide open throttle I can actually turn now without flipping over lol, not that it matters while crawling but it is fun. I plan on stickin with it for a while tho, so long as I dont have to replace leafs all that often. I have some Chino Military wrapped springs comin from RPP so I have some options and spares.

On a side not, I just finished up the fender flares but left the camera at home. I will post up some pics when I get off work!
Matt
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Im also running the Tamiya leafs. I have some Chino's from RPP waiting for these to bust but for now Ill stick with these.

The Bronco def. held its own with the taller tire guys at Hidden Springs trail yesterday. Was afraid that I had made a poor decision in bringing it over the CompCourier but Ive been havin way too much fun with it lately and really wanted to wheel it again. It went just about everywhere I wanted it too despite the nasty wet conditions!

Couple shots I liked from the ride

Thomas took this awesome shot!

IronWorks for the WIN! Only one scaler out didnt have IronWorks tires/foams.

I realized that I had been taking pics of everyone else's rigs as they were hittin some of the spots to get cool action shots but hadnt gotten any of the Bronco. I snapped this picture, set the camera down and heard another snap followed by no front wheel drive.

At first it was just the driveshaft comin loose from the yoke but then when I was tryin to put it back on the tranny I noticed it was really hard and at a goofy angle. This is the first tranny Ive broken, the CompCourier is still on its stock shafts and tranny and has been thru so much worse...crazy! Time to beef this one up I guess lol.

The leafs are def. broken in about as much as they will and altho still a little stiff for my liking, they still performed very well. I think some weight over the back end will help a bit and Im still not running any weight in the wheels. Im very happy to say that the fender flares are still attached and I showed them no mercy!
Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 07-31-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

This thing is an awesome performer! I was surprised a couple of times... Matt is a good driver though.
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote