Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BlueBronco budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: BlueBronco budget build

Yep, they are the 1.55 steel wheels from RC4WD! The sidewalls are completely custom in order to fit.

Just a small update on what the ole BlueBronco has been up to. I have been havin so much fun with this thing that I havnt changed a thing in quite some time, but age and abuse are starting to take it toll.

Chino Military springs finally had a failure. I LOVE these springs and hope to be able to order another set soon, but till then Ive swapped the old Tamiya's back on.

Funny thing is, the Tamiya's lowered the rear and stiffined it up a bit which is exactly what I needed and she now crawls like a maniac again. Im still lookin at puttin together a rear shock setup to help on inclines but this will do for now!

3 wheelin on a nasty sidehill

Ive finally gotten this thing reliably waterproofed other than a strange issue where, once entirely submerged, she likes to shut off. I can pull her outta the water, shake her off and she's back to life and rockin and rollin. In this shot I actually ran outta battery and couldnt make it out so I got Twisted to help out.

I ran the piss out of her at the STR Lamar Hill Trail Ride and she was askin for more. I love havin this thing around to truely abuse, drown, ramp, cover in mud and still make it to the end of the day. New bearings are in the near future but I dont see much else changing!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #102

I going to for sure build a twin of yours in a few weeks now! That thing is killer man great job. Looking forward to updates in the future
THEWHITEZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWHITEZOMBIE View Post
I going to for sure build a twin of yours in a few weeks now! That thing is killer man great job. Looking forward to updates in the future
I appreciate it!!! Im actually lookin at buildin another (3rd Tamiya Bronco) to be a little more stock that this one. I built this one thinkin it would see light trail duty, but be more about looks than performance but the sucker is way too capable to not beat on so back to the drawing board LOL. You wont regret it, small tire, short wheelbase rigs are alot harder to drive but a ton of fun once you figure out how to make it work!
Matt
Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #104

Ill have to look and see if the TSL's come in a 1.5 or ill run a 1.9 set up in those or the Pit bulls. Im think im going to start with a new Dingo Kit an a handbros CMS set up with there leafs like yours, that and the tamiya body like yours and start fresh and clean. Your build got the bug going agian for sure!
THEWHITEZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWHITEZOMBIE View Post
Ill have to look and see if the TSL's come in a 1.5 or ill run a 1.9 set up in those or the Pit bulls. Im think im going to start with a new Dingo Kit an a handbros CMS set up with there leafs like yours, that and the tamiya body like yours and start fresh and clean. Your build got the bug going agian for sure!
The tires are custom, and it's coilover front, leafed rear.

Anyways Matt, this has always been one of those awesome builds I'm always checking out,, don't know why, theres no fancy tube work, no custom styrene body, it just is awesome. I think the reason is, fun. This thing just looks fun. Great job man
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #106
RCC Addict

I appreciate it guys, and yeah its a simple combo that just plain works. I have a TON of custom work under the skin tho, tires, steering, links, frame, skid, leaf set up, driveshafts etc are all tweaked, modified or made by me. You will have to do some work but its worth it in the end!!!
Matt
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I appreciate it guys, and yeah its a simple combo that just plain works. I have a TON of custom work under the skin tho, tires, steering, links, frame, skid, leaf set up, driveshafts etc are all tweaked, modified or made by me. You will have to do some work but its worth it in the end!!!
Matt
Oh I understand about work underneath it all, I was just saying that this thing looks like pure, simple fun. The way it should be.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #108
RCC Addict

Thought ide throw together a simple update. Got the bug to do some "body work" on the Bronco. Hit some trouble spots with some rust primer and then painted the front fenders and front of the hood which were beat up really bad. Eventually I will strip it all and paint the outside really well but for now I like the "in progress" look.

I also fixed the side body mounts, added a couple leafs to the rear suspension to firm it up some, added a new winch hook and am workin on cleanin up my light setup. She desperately needs a steering servo but Ill keep runnin this one till it gives up LOL

Matt
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Took the Bronco out for another little trail ride. This sucker really loves the water...gonna start lookin to build a snorkle for it shortly!

This waterfall became rather useful at the end of the ride lol

Wonder how deep this group of pools are?

Not bad, a little slick tho. On to the next one

I would like to thank slick rock, moss and water for the opportunity to get these action shots.

Took alot of wheelspeed but she finally inched her way out. I stopped to take this pic and lost the momentum needed to get out and had to do it all over again LOL

Last shot I got, couldnt hop over the wall like the rest so out came the winch

Oh yeah, revisited the waterfall for a quick shower before hittin the road. Wish every spot we crawled at had one of these!!!

Matt
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Still one of my favorites! Looks like your wheels are rusting up nicely Matt.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #111
RCC Addict

HA! Yeah, they are rusting up recently. I thought about painting them and thought...naaahhhh, I like the roughed up look, matched the rig quite well.
Matt
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Yea, you gotta let them do their thing! Looks great when the rust starts to get heavy around the "lugnuts"
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Took the Bronco out under Medical Center for a quick run after work last night.

Did NOT see that large crack under the water LOL

Juuuuuuuump

The Bronco pitched a FIT from the very beginning. Burned up a 20t motor before we even hit the rocks, then pulled a front lower link out of its rod end. After too many jumps, way too much water and the many other normal obstacles I put the poor thing up against, she finally decided to call it a day. On the way back from the rocks to the cars I was runnin full blast (3.7mph im sure) and noticed the lower link dragging. I started weaving back and forth and she came to an abrupt dead stop and started leaking water from the front tire. The front bumper had grabbed the front tire and put a hole in it, wadded it up and then burned up the oooooooooold AS2 servo resulting in this "accident" shot.

I noticed the smoke as I took the pic and ripped it apart quickly thinking it was the LiPo but luckily it was just the servo and all is well. New front links and another servo and all will be well!!!

Matt
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #114
RCC Addict

Updates?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post

Probly the best pic I have seen on the whole forum.... It speaks for itself...
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #116
RCC Addict

LOL thanks man, I didnt even see the smoke until after I took the picture! She's still in need of a servo and some TLC but Ill have her back on the trail again soon!
Matt
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Sweet dude. I read this from start to finnish. Great little truck great build.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #118
RCC Addict

I appreciate it!!! After a long rest on the shelf its about time to dig this one back up and get it goin again. It needs alot of TLC tho! I got a new servo for it but the rear leafs are in sad shape and Im not entirely sure how much longer they will last. Time to order another set lol
Matt
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Or if thats too much for ya, ya could just send it to me lol
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Hah, this rig will never leave my posession! It and the Courier have not only earned permanent places in my lineup, but they are way too beat up to sell for a decent price lol. On that note, I replaced the broken lower links and swapped in another servo. Once I get an esc together for it she will be back on the trails!
Matt