Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The FREAK... Jeep LJ build #3 UPDATE 99% DONE Pix added

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The FREAK... Jeep LJ build #3 UPDATE 99% DONE Pix added

dang im a yota guy and this build makes me want a jeep.. super clean and realistic... tlt axles FTW!
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Thanks dude! Just wish i knew what happened to her :(. Hopefully shes in good hands.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Thanks dude! Just wish i knew what happened to her :(. Hopefully shes in good hands.
I thought Dirk has this one. I doubt he would sell it. Now if you could only locate your first LJ build and have a reunion picture. That would be awesome!
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #104
RCC Addict

No dirk has the FREAK build # 3. This was my first LJ build that started all my madness!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
No dirk has the FREAK build # 3. This was my first LJ build that started all my madness!
Dang E, this is the freak thread. Or I'm very confused.

Either way how's that jeep coming along that your are building for heinie 21? Should be nice.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post

Either way how's that jeep coming along that your are building for heinie 21? Should be nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Here's my very first LJ build dubbed "The Freak" But its a copy of the Rokmen build "A Freak Named Jake"

My Rokmen LJ build

It sold to some dude who took it to malaysia and ive been searching for it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

love your build. i wish i had a welder and the fab skills to do what you did to my cherokee. I'd love to make a cage and flat fenders for it.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Do u have any pictures of where u lengthened the body? like the tub & inside wall & how thick of styrene & what glue or whatever did u use to join it back together if u dont mind me asking?
Dtempleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
I thought Dirk has this one. I doubt he would sell it. Now if you could only locate your first LJ build and have a reunion picture. That would be awesome!
Nope I've gotten numerous PM's with offers beyond what i paid for it, but pieces of art like this are hard to put any kind of dollar value to. I'd rather have this masterpiece on my wall than the original mona lisa painting. And i told Erwin if i ever do sell it, he has first dibs ;).

Quote:
Quote:

This confused me for a second too.... But that sucks #1 is MIA. I guess I should have bought it too

Quote:
Here's my very first LJ build dubbed "The Freak" But its a copy of the Rokmen build "A Freak Named Jake"

My Rokmen LJ build

It sold to some dude who took it to malaysia and ive been searching for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtempleton View Post
Do u have any pictures of where u lengthened the body? like the tub & inside wall & how thick of styrene & what glue or whatever did u use to join it back together if u dont mind me asking?
I don't have any pictures of Erwin's body work, but if you look closely on the "bed rails" you can see the section that was added in. I can't recall any specific thread at the moment but there are a few guys who have documented their LJ stretch process very well, i think Just Zach might have taken raw pictures of his body work on his LJ. Don't take my word, but something like a 1" stretch, .030 .040 styrene are popular choices, #11 exacto blades, plastruct bondene, and some thick ca is always handy to have around. Not sure if he used a filler, some builders dont, but i like tamiya grey putty. The green's okay it just dries too fast for me to not get frustrated with while trying to apply it. Little files are nice to have around as well.

Hopefully i'll have something new to post soon
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Yes to extend the to the LJ specs i added 1" to each side. That netted me an 11 3/4" wb i believe. For this particular body i was able to use plasctruct and or bondene. On some bodies like my first LJ build the body plastic was a wierd bendy plastic that didnt work with any glue i threw at it so out came the epoxy. Most of the newer NB tJ bodies are a more rigid plastic that plastruct or tenax works on. Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #112

What gauge metal do you use for the tube and flat steel on the tube fenders you build?
y2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Let's get this back on track:

Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #114
RCC Addict

Ehh Ive seen better! haha Nice man! Another one is one the rise here at the garage....sadly, again its not mine. heine21 will be the recipient of the new built LJ. Looks good man! I thought you were gonna throw some K44's under there. I swear, someone needs to come up with a new 1.55 tire design. The current ones are a little long in the tooth.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Let's get this back on track:

This is a great looking rig , The front fenders are sweet
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ehh Ive seen better! haha Nice man! Another one is one the rise here at the garage....sadly, again its not mine. heine21 will be the recipient of the new built LJ. Looks good man! I thought you were gonna throw some K44's under there. I swear, someone needs to come up with a new 1.55 tire design. The current ones are a little long in the tooth.
Yeah you've seen better... because it was less scratched when you sent it out! Wait a minute... Have you been looking at that dang salmonfaceneedstosellmesomeofhisrig's guys TJ with them sexy 44's under it??? It will get the lovin it deserves and new axles soon, however i have a project in the way that i need to get done ASAP. I know i swear it's been over a year since any new 1.55ers have come out, hopefully there's something in the works. Can't wait to see what you whip up for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
This is a great looking rig , The front fenders are sweet
Thanks pal
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #117
RCC Addict

No it looks great! Like a real trail rig should look like, scratched and used. I guess i didnt use it enough:(. I always inteded to put k44's under this particular rig since it was my favorite but couldnt justify $300 for axles. But if i still had this rig in my possession today, i would do it. Yes please push for some 1.55 wrangler MTR's! SOMEONE, anyone!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Oh and dont forget the new ultra scale rc4wd driveshafts. I dont think they compare to the MIPS strength wise but they look so scale.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #119
RCC Addict

1.55 growlers.

Wish there were 1.55 mtr's though. I love my sdi scale docs.

Last edited by heinie_21; 01-25-2013 at 03:38 PM.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Quote:
No it looks great! Like a real trail rig should look like, scratched and used. I guess i didnt use it enough:(. I always inteded to put k44's under this particular rig since it was my favorite but couldnt justify $300 for axles. But if i still had this rig in my possession today, i would do it. Yes please push for some 1.55 wrangler MTR's! SOMEONE, anyone!
Yeah i've definitely wheel'd it. It's quite capable so sometimes you gotta push the limits . The 44's will happen, i'd say around 2 weeks (when i finish the lovell racing ranger. Yep sure wish BFG and Goodyear would hop on the r/c tire bandwagon like pit bull-those guys are awesome.

Quote:
Oh and dont forget the new ultra scale rc4wd driveshafts. I dont think they compare to the MIPS strength wise but they look so scale.
Haha, i am barely able to talk myself into the axles, no way i'm paying $50 a drive shaft and advertising on behalf of rc4wd for free, especially since i still haven't even seen a review or write up on them. Luckily a kind rcc member show'd us pictures of them taken apart. I know they've got a few team drivers/builders that show their product off quite well, but for the most part their method of product release is quite odd, or non existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
1.55 growers.

Wish there were 1.55 mtr's though. I love my sdi scale docs.
The PB tread design doesn't do much for me but i do like what they are doing for the scale scene.