Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: "Lil Peppy" 1/12th scale MRC Datsun L-Trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Those rims look like they are going to be the ticket. Hopefully you can get them beefed up..... Good looking build so far.
crawlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlski View Post
Those rims look like they are going to be the ticket. Hopefully you can get them beefed up..... Good looking build so far.
Yea im going to narrow them by about 1/8th and then wrap them with some styrene and epoxy the whole mess that should make them a bit stiffer hopefully!
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Talking Lil Peppy goes under the gun

Put "Lil Peppy" through the paint booth today, man im ecstatic about how it came out. I laid 2 coats of Testors brand one coat lacquer on top of the primer and it came out great. The color is "Root Beer" its kind of a root beer colored brown with gold metal fleks in it.

Also had a chance today before laying the paint to cut the existing rear tail lights off and put in a set of the small oval lites/lenses from the axial parts tree so I would have real working tail lights, also cut the faux headlights out and installed some tamiya hilift lenses I only had enough on hand to do 2 but should have the other 2 in the mail in the next day or so(thanks travis c)

On with the pics, Still have to paint the details and grill etc but you get the idea I really wish my camera showed the true colors of this metal flek paint its a very cool color.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

man that looks awsome!

its screaming two tone to me tho
kwonchoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwonchoba View Post
man that looks awsome!

its screaming two tone to me tho
Probably not going to do a 2tone on this one.

But I would really like to have some of these decals made.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Looks like your paint turned out killer I think that sticker graphic would look good and be enough to break up the solid candy rootbeer.
crawlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Default Mini cut n shut TSL's

Finally got some TSL's (thanks travis c) and I proceeded to cut them down to fit the small kawada rims.

Started out with TSL 1.9's and cut them down to a new height of 3.5" (with foams) reducing them over all a little over and inch in height and rim size probably is what would be equal to a 1.4

Here is a pic of them compared to the full size 1.9 TSL's

And here is a picture of them on the truck with 1.9 RC4WD irok foams that have been cut down.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Default small update

Narrowed/reinforced rims:
Today I got around to narrowing the kawada mini rims on this guy, narrowed them by 1/4" total the overall new width is 3/4" outside to outside I used a scroll saw and CA glue to cut and re glue them, then i wrapped the inside with a strip of .040 styrene and more CA. came out pretty good imho.

They are no longer rubbing my draglink/crossover steering link so im happy and the rims being more narrow help with the tires being so wide also.

Still had an issue with the front tires rubbing my lower links when turning very sharp at all so i bent them to allow for the tires to clear them more so.

Before:

After:

This build is turning out to be a very tight build space wise to make everything work, I guess that thats just expected with these small rigs.

More tomorrow

Probably will try and get some of the electronics tray built. Im still waiting for the TX and RX to arrive which should be a week or 2 then i will be able to get all of the electronics going, until then i will probably do some more body work and get the body mounted.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #29

That body is sick!! Is it a custom made one, or a toy body?? Great work you've done on the chassis!! Those decals would set it off perfectly!!
will16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by will16 View Post
That body is sick!! Is it a custom made one, or a toy body?? Great work you've done on the chassis!! Those decals would set it off perfectly!!

The body started life as one of these and I built the canopy from scratch.

It was a kit made by a company called Marui in the 1980's.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

My first post in months. I have not been around much lately but man I am so pumped to see this going. I have a new Datsun body tucked away for someday when I can get back into RCs. Pardonmynoob made me a cap for the rear too. It looks sick and very 80's. I can not wait to start building it. Is that my old body? What about the soft top from mocrawler? Either way keep it going pal. I love the little Datsun builds.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Did you just use 1 can of spray or did you need two of their 3oz cans??

And I'll bet BOWTIE can't wait to make up those decals for you!
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
My first post in months. I have not been around much lately but man I am so pumped to see this going. I have a new Datsun body tucked away for someday when I can get back into RCs. Pardonmynoob made me a cap for the rear too. It looks sick and very 80's. I can not wait to start building it. Is that my old body? What about the soft top from mocrawler? Either way keep it going pal. I love the little Datsun builds.

Its a body I rescued from someone on the board, had some major damage lol. It was basically a convertible when i got it lol so I repaired it and built the canopy, I'm going to try and use your old bumpers and sliders for this one also but i am still figuring out how to make changes on the bumpers to fit this frame.

Matt(DinkyRC) still has your original Datsun body and the mocrawler top he is currently STILL building the truck<-- for you Matt The thread is Here for it. I hear tell it might be done come 2012 Its undergone a few changes as far as ideas over the past few years LOL.... Actually BiG_DaWgZ has your original Datsun fender flares on his newest wideside yota build.

Last edited by akguanja; 09-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
Did you just use 1 can of spray or did you need two of their 3oz cans??

And I'll bet BOWTIE can't wait to make up those decals for you!
Just one and i still have some. I did 2 coats on the body and 1 on the top, ill probably lay one more on the top cause its still a bit dull.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Any updates or outside pics? I really like that root beer but didn't want to pick the same color for my hilux...I ordered some of the testors one coat bronze but now that I have that I'm not sure I'm going to use it.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
Any updates or outside pics? I really like that root beer but didn't want to pick the same color for my hilux...I ordered some of the testors one coat bronze but now that I have that I'm not sure I'm going to use it.
I am in the process of moving and its going to be packed up so expect a month or more for any updates. I do have it as a roller now, waiting for some beadlock rings from DinkyRc and a couple of other things up my sleeve so keep an eye out ;D
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Looks like an Icelandic truck with those reduced TSL's. Can't wait to see what comes next!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #38
I joined the Band!

man those tires are so sick great job on them for sure.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Starting the same build myself using the same mrc pro axles and the L-trail chassis this answered my question about the shocks.

I am making my own links out of all thread and tubing. Wanted to know the Length.
also wanted to know how you did the servo mount..

If I could get some Pictures of this that would be awesome.

Thanks for any help
mattman1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman1147 View Post
also wanted to know how you did the servo mount..
I wondered the same thing...looking at the pics he's posted already it looks like a "U" shaped piece of 1/4" delrin.

Time for more updates! I know, I know...it hasn't been long enough...blah, blah, blah I'm in the process of trying to build a MRC as well and also have my house under contract so it's going to be a while. I found a toy grade Ford Explorer at Big Lots that fits quite well...should be fun! I've removed the lights on top and the ladder on the back and it's sitting on 1.55 steelies with desert kings for now. Trying to figure out how to mount the body and get the suspension/links figured out.