Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another Jeep build..this time a TJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Another Jeep build..this time a TJ

Ok so ser3100 was kind enough to sell me this very nice platfrom to begin another TJ build.

I now have run in to a bit of a problem looks wise. The wheel and tires combined with Axial axles looks way too wide, wider than a real TJ on 1tons.

ser3100 will sell me his D35's, so the problem may be solved...but I want to know what you guys think about the current track width? should I keep the Axial axles or go all out scale with D35's since this rig wont be beat on hard?

My other TJ build is running 1.9's and still apears to be better looking than the 1.55's, are the tires too skinny to be out that far?

any and all comments, suggestions, opinions welcomed.

the look I am going after...

The other TJ with 1.9's it looks wide but its still tolerable

Last edited by salmonfacesalad; 06-16-2012 at 08:17 AM.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #62
RCC Addict

can you get a narrower offset rim? man now you have two jeeps im jealous of!
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
can you get a narrower offset rim? man now you have two jeeps im jealous of!
sure I can, but those 1.55 voids arent cheap so id like to keep them. I really cant think of any 1.55 beadlock that has a narrow offset?

this makes TJ number 3 for me.

number 1

and of course number 2

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #64
RCC Addict

hmmmm the 1.55's make it look too wide/short IMO with those small front fenders. the Soft top you have looks great with the 1.9 pitbulls. consider putting those on #3 for comparisons sake?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
hmmmm the 1.55's make it look too wide/short IMO with those small front fenders. the Soft top you have looks great with the 1.9 pitbulls. consider putting those on #3 for comparisons sake?
we are on the same page. I put on those Axial beadlocks with the Pitbulls and it looks good, but I still want to give the 1.55 a chance.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Nice, maybe cut and shut some 1.9s or 2.2s to fit the 1.55s.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nice, maybe cut and shut some 1.9s or 2.2s to fit the 1.55s.
some 1.55 Pitbulls or Wrangler MTR K's would be very nice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Yo take those SCX shocks off! Keep it low slung! I have rc4wd dual rates in 90mm and 80mm. I think 90 up front and 80 out back was gonna be the way i was gonna go cause i was gonna mount the shocks exactly like i did on the red LJ. With the TLT's and D35's you can do this by putting a TLT link mount on the back of the axles. You would have to fab up a small shock tab though. That was my plan but then again its yours now and your the new boss. I say stick with the TLT's or buy the D35's and call it a day. The narrower track width looks so much more scale. Here is a link to the original NIBLET built by ROKMEN. I was trying to copy this rig and make a mini clone of it. Jeff at ROKMEN emailed me pics of what the cage was gonna be and so thats why i did the cage the way i did.

Niblet Rising - a set on Flickr
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #69
RCC Addict

The plan was to run RC4WD blue coilovers on this rig to keep it low, the SCX10 shocks were only for mock up.

i'm dead set on the D35's now but I do want your opinion on the K44's, do you like them? Have you had a set or considered buying them at one point. They are much more $$ though, but the same width.

thanks for the link to Niblet, I may paint it just like it. Otherwise I have a light metalic blue in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Yo take those SCX shocks off! Keep it low slung! I have rc4wd dual rates in 90mm and 80mm. I think 90 up front and 80 out back was gonna be the way i was gonna go cause i was gonna mount the shocks exactly like i did on the red LJ. With the TLT's and D35's you can do this by putting a TLT link mount on the back of the axles. You would have to fab up a small shock tab though. That was my plan but then again its yours now and your the new boss. I say stick with the TLT's or buy the D35's and call it a day. The narrower track width looks so much more scale. Here is a link to the original NIBLET built by ROKMEN. I was trying to copy this rig and make a mini clone of it. Jeff at ROKMEN emailed me pics of what the cage was gonna be and so thats why i did the cage the way i did.

Niblet Rising - a set on Flickr
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #70
RCC Addict

HAHa i was just teasing on the SCX shocks. I know a builder of your caliber would not do injustice to a rig and have it jacked up that high! As for the K44's, i always wanted a set but they were way too much to spend. I settled on a trade for these D35's and i guess im happy with them. I know the K's are more "scale appropriate" for this rig but i just settled on what my pocket had. If i had the extra $ laying around, you bet i would swoop up a set of K's! I think youll like the D35's under there for way less and basically brand new. Ill snap pics of them for you and PM you with them. Hell if you deadset on buying mine ill try to come up with some sort of 3link truss for the front and a more scale 4link rear end truss.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
HAHa i was just teasing on the SCX shocks. I know a builder of your caliber would not do injustice to a rig and have it jacked up that high! As for the K44's, i always wanted a set but they were way too much to spend. I settled on a trade for these D35's and i guess im happy with them. I know the K's are more "scale appropriate" for this rig but i just settled on what my pocket had. If i had the extra $ laying around, you bet i would swoop up a set of K's! I think youll like the D35's under there for way less and basically brand new. Ill snap pics of them for you and PM you with them. Hell if you deadset on buying mine ill try to come up with some sort of 3link truss for the front and a more scale 4link rear end truss.
ooooooo nice...a 3-link truss might seal the deal over the 44's

I have some stuff in the classifieds, so lets hope I can get those D35's sooner than later.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

I know I have been living under a rock, but not sure how I missed this Jeep build. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my key board. Ok all good now. Looking forward to seeing this one complete.
snydercj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Ill take a look at the axles tonight and see what i can draw up in my head. Let you know but ill hold em for you!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I was bummed to hear that Ser3100 had to sell her but glad she went to a qualified builder. I'm running a TJ right now on TLT axles and Axial 1.9 beadlocks. I think overall track width is at 8.5" in this pic.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I was bummed to hear that Ser3100 had to sell her but glad she went to a qualified builder. I'm running a TJ right now on TLT axles and Axial 1.9 beadlocks. I think overall track width is at 8.5" in this pic.

Those TLT's look spot on for that TJ, looks great! I love that front bumper too.

I have made some progress but not much due to finishing up my 4-door yota Muffina$$. I'm also waitng on the GRU mount so I can finish the power and drivetrains.

I think I have the wheelbase looking right but it can awlays be tweaked later.

Due to the lack of realestate and short shocks I'm going to run a CMS with a double triangulated front and rear link setup. I run this on my Soft Top TJ with great results and no bumpsteer, so my hopes are that this will run the same.

REAR BUMPER

Last edited by salmonfacesalad; 07-21-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Man that looks good, the side view pic looks great and love that cage design. Wheel base looks to be right on.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #77
RCC Addict

OH man does that look nice. Motor mount should be finished real soon. Gosh damn i wish i never sold it now!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerj View Post
Man that looks good, the side view pic looks great and love that cage design. Wheel base looks to be right on.

Thanks, ser3100 used the Rokmen Niblet for inspiration for the rig but used a cage design from a 1:1 red TJ.

Quote:
OH man does that look nice. Motor mount should be finished real soon. Gosh damn i wish i never sold it now!

Thanks man, the mount should help move things along faster. I promise its in good hands though.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Very nice metal and tube work !
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #80
RCC Addict

I really think i have the perfect tires for this project. 1.55 invaders. I had them on one of my LJ builds and they looked so damn scale and realistic with the way the tread pattern is. your mount is almost done. Sorry bro!