Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Pics & video 1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pics & video 1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this posted on the General rig discussion forum. I think this forum may be appropriate.

At one point in time I used to sell Toyota vehicles. One on my favorite trucks on this planet is the Toyota Tundra. I've always wanted to build a scale Toyota Tundra. So a few weeks ago I purchased a Tundra Body from a RCC member with the intentions of converting my SCX10 into a Tundra. I already have is setup with a Land Rover LR4 body. I really didn't want to tear it down and loose every bit of work I put into getting the chassis setup just right for the build.

After seeing a particular truggy build by Darkmanx . I got this hair brain idea to make a home made chassis and start building a whole other truck. So then I started think think it thru. I don't have the ideal tools the braze steel, so I went with brass. I thought...I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Surprising to me this chassis is turning out a lot stronger than I thought. I figured...I'm not going to bash this truck to the point where I will need a super strong frame/chassis.
Darkmanx build: DarkmanX attempts a Truggy

So...here we go!! ENJOY!!! More to come soon! Some where at some point I installed RC4wd 1.55 Wildcard wheels !!!!!

Made some progress on the chassis since I originally posted.

Added shock hoops / mounts. Mounted the RC4WD R2 transmission and drive shafts.

Did the rear tubing already. Now I need to reconfigure how to chopp off the rear of the frame.

Alright! I received several parts in the mail from different RCC members. Just want to give a thanks to those who provided great customer service.

I've made some minor changes to the rear chassis. After racking my brain trying to figure out how I'm gonna mount new shock hoops and chop the rear chassis off. I decided to keep the chassis up to the back side of the shock hoops. I chopped about 3.5" of the chassis on the rear. I feel the way the shocks are mounted now is the most solid way to mount them.

Also made sliders / nerf bars. Trying to figure out the best way to mount the body.

Mounted electronics. Rooster crawler ESC, Axial AS2 servo, Losi receiver. Still debating if the steering servo will stay where it's at.

I've been pressing hard to get this build done. Got a lot accomplished over the past week. She is about 98% done. Some details that I'm still working on (graphics, trim, touch ups and fine tuning).
Got the whole truck disassembed to paint chassis and body.

Coated the main chassis with Bedliner coating. Then painted the tubing flat black.

Painted the body base color flat gray. Painted trim & grill flat black. Trying to keep a flat finish theme going. I have some graphics that will be added later.

Today, I pretty much finished the main paint work. It still needs graphics added and door handles installed. Dummy me!! In the rush to get this done, I forgot to fill the mounting holes on the sides of the body. As
we speak I am doing that right now.

Debating if I should added the bed floor or run without it. Tell me what you guys think!
With?

Without?
Savage00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Pics & video 1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received Monster Energy graphics today. They came out pretty sweet. I would have to say I'm just about done. All that's left are to install the LED's, winch and possibly a new front bumper.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Received 1.55 RC4wd wildcard wheels from ser3100 and mounted RC4wd Mickey Thompson Baja claws. They look sweet!!!! Much more scale looking.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

So today i decided to squeez some time in to do an outdoor photo shoot and some mild testing. Pics for now, video coming soon.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice job on the frame and tuber bed - rig looks great!
Like the grey on black.

Some of the last shots are with and without a winch?
Any thoughts on a front stinger/steel bumper?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Video Added!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Savage00; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cool editing. You did a good job on everything nth is build. I am curious to see how things hold up.

Btw are your wheels weighted? Or was that über soft sand?

Nonetheless very cool video and the music was very fitting. I was a bit memorized during the spinning of the wheels in loose sand. Lol.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Very nice,
I like it bro. Keep it up.....
mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looking good bro and the video was cool too
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote

Pics & video 1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy build!!!!! Savage00 General Scale Talk 16 01-14-2014 06:56 PM
Video / Pics Update 5/21 1st attempt @ Tundra Truggy build!!!!! Savage00 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 11-26-2012 08:21 AM
My FJ AX10 build, pics & video. Drnkirishm Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 04-17-2008 12:44 PM
SSMT Jeep J10 Truggy w/ pics & Video racer32 General Scale Talk 75 10-15-2006 02:47 PM