Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: G-Rob's Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default G-Rob's Bronco

This rig has already been built, abused, re-worked, broken, repaired, abused, and I am now cleaning it from a G2G yesterday at the river. I just figured that since I had it all apart that I'd take and post a few pictures

I originally wanted to put this rig in the TLT forum, but thought "This is more of a scaler...". Then I thought about the SCX-10 forum and thought "The only thing SCX about this rig is the chassis, trans, and shocks...". I recently made the switch to 1.55's so it ended up here...

First off, some specs!
-Chassis: Axial SCX-10; SCX skid, braces, and shock hoops
-Axles: TLT; stock internals F/R, bearings throughout, RCP rear lockouts and knuckles, MSD C's, 1pc. Dinky-Links F/R
-Links: Custom; 8/32 allthread wrapped in aluminum tube with Revo ends
-Shocks: Axial SCX-10; stock springs rear, random fronts
-Transmission: Axial; with Axial spur-gear cover
-Shafts: Traxxas Stampede
-Yokes: Steel Traxxas Stampede
-Motor: 45t Integy
-ESC: Tekin FXR
-Servo: Hitec HS645MG; aluminum Racer's Edge horn
-Batteries: 2200MaH 3S Sky Lipo
-Radio: Axial AX-3

And, on to some pics! Remember, I have it torn apart for a cleaning. These pics show it mostly assembled, and will show the process of me putting it back together

Here's the basic layout of my rig. Pretty simple 4-linked design; everything is mounted "normally". Also, the sliders were built by a good friend of mine, and consist of solid rod brazed to a piece of strap steel, and painted black.

The front of my rig. Note the frame-mounted servo. I used a stock Axial servo plate and just bolted it to the frame. I wasn't too fond of using the shock-hoop screws as mounting points, and since I wanted the servo farther forward, I drilled new holes. I'll add the front brace later, since I have my winch bolted to it.

My battery mount is just a cut-down Axial battery plate bolted to the rear x-member. I added velcro and some servo mounts as a stop for the batteries, but they may get removed.

I cut into the Axial radio box for the wires of the FXR to pass through. At this point, I'm able to fit all my electronics into the Axial box, but as I add a BEC, LED's, etc. I'll probably run out of room.

I'm still re-assembling my rig, but I will post updates as they happen. Let me know your thoughts and ideas, and let me know if anything seems out of place!

Thanks for looking
-Greg
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: G-Rob's Bronco

Get that body on and then take some
Pics!
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 FORD BRONCO View Post
Get that body on and then take some
Pics!

x2!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Get that body on and then take some pics!
All in good time. I'm hoping to have it back up and running by this time tomorrow

Servo and winch thrown back on. I truly dislike my winch mount. The plate was drilled crooked, I'm using hideous green spacers, and the plastic is very flexible and seems like it could break at any moment... Also, up front, I broke a shock hoop. I'll be ordering new hoops when I get payed, and maybe other stuff

I also discovered that I want a new longer servo horn. The one I have is great, but another quarter inch would make it perfect

more soon!

Last edited by grob23; 09-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Drivline and electronics installed. I had to make food, and run to the store, but I'm headed back to work on it... should be done tonight

I'm not too sure what I wanna do about that antenna... I had it wrapped inside the box, but I'm kinda thinkin that a short piece of antenna tube may be what I end up doing. The motor/battery wires are temporary. I pulled apart a few spare charging leads to source the wire. I will eventually upgrade to some 14awg.

Last edited by grob23; 09-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I got it all put back together and took it outside for a pic.

After getting it all together again, I now realize that there's ALOT I wanna do. For starters, I want new links. My lowers are out of whack. I'm sure I have different lengths and I just want a little uniformity. Then, a new body (maybe the same one). This silver body was my first attempt at painting, and it shows. Then, as long as I mount it correctly, a new set of sliders would be in order...

It's come a long ways from just a "spare parts" rig. It is now something I truly love and am proud of
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Iroks? That's a good looking rig! Maybe a front bumper/winch mount in the future?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Iroks for sure! I heard alot of negative reviews on these, mostly the compound. After putting them through their paces at the river I have nothing bad to say about em, I'm truly impressed!

A winch mount is in the works (still in the design process); I may do a front bumper at the same time
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You should go with a hpi or tamiya body. The proline's proportions seem
A little off to me
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm not too fond of either body... The HPI looks ok, from the front! I highly dislike the rear-end "cage".

The Tamiya body looks ok as well. I like it's top, but the wheelbase isn't to my liking. I like longer wheelbase rigs. My buddy has a "Dingo" wheelbase'd rig and I hate it. I recently made the switch to this Bronco body from a Bushwacker and the difference is great!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hella capable rig, Greg. Impressive performance at the river for sure! While everyone else was picking up broken parts and licking their wounds, you were passing around the Tx letting whoever wanted to drive it take it for a spin. Nice job!
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

Man you should flat black the bronco body. looks good though slap a front and rear bumper on it the tlts look great by the way.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaaxial View Post
Man you should flat black the bronco body. looks good though slap a front and rear bumper on it the tlts look great by the way.
Thanks for the comment on the TLT's, I love em! I may flat black this guy out... unsure yet. I may go for a different body and use this as my "runner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
Hella capable rig, Greg. Impressive performance at the river for sure! While everyone else was picking up broken parts and licking their wounds, you were passing around the Tx letting whoever wanted to drive it take it for a spin. Nice job!
I found out that I did break a couple parts... I lost a bolt that holds the knuckle in the c, my front shock tower cracked and is floppy, and my "winch mount" didn't hold up... close yet far!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
I'm not too fond of either body... The HPI looks ok, from the front! I highly dislike the rear-end "cage".

The Tamiya body looks ok as well. I like it's top, but the wheelbase isn't to my liking. I like longer wheelbase rigs. My buddy has a "Dingo" wheelbase'd rig and I hate it. I recently made the switch to this Bronco body from a Bushwacker and the difference is great!
Go check out my hpi bronco. I put a rag top over the rear to hide the "cage" thing. I didn't really care for it either
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

So, what exactly doesn't look right? I'm not asking to stir up trouble or anything, I just wanna learn. I'm not educated on Bronco's... or anything really...

I like whatcha did there! Back in the day (2005 or 2006) I had a pink Bronco body that someone had done something similar on... I might start huntin for an HPI lid!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
So, what exactly doesn't look right? I'm not asking to stir up trouble or anything, I just wanna learn. I'm not educated on Bronco's... or anything really...

I like whatcha did there! Back in the day (2005 or 2006) I had a pink Bronco body that someone had done something similar on... I might start huntin for an HPI lid!
The praportions just seem wrong. Like the front window looks a little smal and the headlights stick out pretty far. I can't really say specifically what's off on it since I don't own one I'm just going off your pictures. I like the tamiya bronco the best but they made it to small for my liking.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thank you for the info! I agree about the Tamiya body, as it was my first choice...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Since every bronco body on the market had something that would t work for me on it I took the best of em and put em on one. I knew it had to be a hpi bad body since it had all the right dementions and the only things I didn't like where the rear cage thing and the I scale front grill. So I went ahead an made to tag top to solve that problem and then took the tamiya bronco grill. Widened it to fit the hpi body and then mounted it. I think it came out pretty good. I've since pushed the grill in more because I thought I was sticking out way to far and changed up the headlights a little bit. It's not as nice as some of the work done by other people on here but it's good enough for me to be happy with it.

I think the thing that kills the proline body for me the most is how far the headlights stick out. They look like to boobs mounted to the front of the body. IMO.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
They look like to boobs mounted to the front of the body. IMO.
Haha!

The more I look at the Proline body, the less I hate it. I know whatcha mean about the general look being off, but I simply don't mind it enough to change anything... I think that a set of headlight buckets would fix the "boob" problem pretty good. Now I just gotta find some buckets...
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think the thing that kills it for me the most is how far they stick out. They look like boobs. IMO.
You got somethin' against boobs?!?
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

G-Rob's Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rob's SCX-10 Rob Cote Axial SCX-10 97 11-28-2011 07:28 PM
G-Rob's Yota grob23 1.9 Scale Rigs 38 05-17-2011 05:47 PM
G-Rob's Axial grob23 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 06-18-2010 05:25 PM
G-Rob's ShaftD grob23 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 11-05-2009 02:48 PM
G-Rob's Latest grob23 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 01-19-2009 10:35 PM