Notices

Thread: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3cia1-K View Post
I feel your pain.. I just installed some pits on my brand new voids I got this week, one screw free spun straight off the bat, another one let loose while tightening and could feel a couple others start to go... Not happy for brand new wheels...
Yep. Mine aren't new, but they've always been stored inside (not left in the garage to the elements). It's a real bummer 'cause it's the only 1.5 wheel I like.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #302
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Yep. Mine aren't new, but they've always been stored inside (not left in the garage to the elements). It's a real bummer 'cause it's the only 1.5 wheel I like.
They really do look good though I just hope they hold up
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 AM   #303
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just bought some RC4WD predators that are a similar design to the Void but in a 2.2 and had a similar issue with the screws . Turns out it was the screws that had the crap thread on them not the tapped hole in the wheel , I had to swap out about 14 screws from the set but all is good now. Might be worth checking out.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #304
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
I just bought some RC4WD predators that are a similar design to the Void but in a 2.2 and had a similar issue with the screws . Turns out it was the screws that had the crap thread on them not the tapped hole in the wheel , I had to swap out about 14 screws from the set but all is good now. Might be worth checking out.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case in my situation. I tried different hardware from LURC, but still had the same problem with snapped off screws.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #305
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case in my situation. I tried different hardware from LURC, but still had the same problem with snapped off screws.
Stripped hardware or broken screws? I can helicoil the holes. Also have repaired many aluminum parts by pressing in an aluminum slug to an oversized hole and redrill/tap. Think I fixed one of eric113's portals like that.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Stripped hardware or broken screws? I can helicoil the holes. Also have repaired many aluminum parts by pressing in an aluminum slug to an oversized hole and redrill/tap. Think I fixed one of eric113's portals like that.
Broken screws. They get bound up and just snap. Maybe if I'd submerged the wheels in PB for a day beforehand, it might've helped.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #307
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Broken screws. They get bound up and just snap. Maybe if I'd submerged the wheels in PB for a day beforehand, it might've helped.
Bummer man. Does RC4WD still make the 1.55 void wheels?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #308
Oppan Gangnam Style

I can try to repair them if you want. May take me awhile before I can get to them but I'll give it a shot if you are not in a hurry.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Bummer man. Does RC4WD still make the 1.55 void wheels?
Last I checked, they do....but I'll steer clear in the future.

Quote:
I can try to repair them if you want. May take me awhile before I can get to them but I'll give it a shot if you are not in a hurry.
Oh yeah? I'm definitely not in a hurry! Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get them off to you. You da man, Dean!!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Finally picked up a new motor for this rig. Unfortunately, my Tekin Pro Wound 35T motor kept having issues so I removed it and put in a cheapy Integy 45T. I'm also hoping the higher turn motor will yield better low speed resolution. No pics, but y'all have seen motors installed before. So far in my patented "living room crawl test", it's performing admirably.

But I've been wrestling a LOT with tires/wheels on this friggin' thing. Here's the issue. 1.55" diameter wheels look great, but stick out too far. 1.9" wheels tuck nicely, but look like dubs....not what what I'm after. In addition, a ~3.75" tire looks like the right diameter for this truck, but because I can't lower the ride height any further (for now), it looks sky high. But if I put a taller 4.1" tire on that fills the fender wells, they just look too big......AND the Jeep still looks too dang tall.

Ultimately, I'm just really not happy with the whole setup. As a result, I've giving serious consideration to making this a Class 2 truck, trimming the fenders, re-installing my SCX axles, and slapping on some Pit Bull Rock Beasts. If I go this route, I'll also likely remove and sell the Dinky Gr7 transmission and Split Skid t-case.

Someone talk me out of this craziness!!!

Anyway, while goofing off the other night with different wheels/tires, I came across this setup, which I think looks half decent. They're 1.9" HPI NASCAR wheels and they suck 'cause they're plastic and 1.9s, but at least they're black so they blend in and aren't that noticeable.....kinda. They do look better since I added disc brake hexes behind them (not shown yet).

Those are Rogue Elements hubs on there, but I think they'd look better in black. Thoughts?

Pretty decent tire coverage, plenty for a C1 rig to be legal.

The rears tuck nicely, which is pretty cool.

Still, I'm not sold on this rig remaining in Class 1 and it may go under the knife as soon as I pick up a Beast II!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #311
Pebble Pounder

C2 it, but only because I need the GR7 and split skid for my TJ build. LOL
arcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcountryboy View Post
C2 it, but only because I need the GR7 and split skid for my TJ build. LOL
LOL! I was just looking and I guess Dinky isn't making it any longer? Their site said they were out of stock and when I checked here for posts from Matt, he hasn't been online in a long time!

But if....and that's a big "if"....I go to Class 2, it'll still be some time away. This is my only running rig right now and until I get a 6x6 in the RC garage, this Jeep will have to remain intact. And the Beast II isn't scheduled to be back in stock 'til mid June. Bah...

I'm also having issues with three of my LEDs not working properly. Unfortunately, the entire LED system is Shoe Goo'd into place so it'll be a pain to remove, diagnose, and repair. In the meantime I'll just disconnect it. Would rather no lights than a hodge podge of working/non-working lights.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

This thing turned out awesome - I like the stock car wheels personally. I think them being black makes them look a little smaller than a 1.9. It looks like a LJ on 38's or 40's to me.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #314
~THE SCALE SHOP~

at least in the photos, the MTZs dont look too big too me.
i definatly agree hubs need less silver. shorter would be a bonus too.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #315
Pebble Pounder

I don't know if you have seen these gmade wheels but they come in black with the holes or solid. They are 1.9 but seem to fit quite well.

onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #316
I wanna be Dave

If the weather holds out (it's been crazy down here lately), we're hoping to get a trail run in this weekend. It'll be the first time in a loooong while for me and the LJ! Anyway, I painted the hubs and while they're still too long for the wheel depth, I think they look better. I also added some disc brakes. But ultimately, I just wanted to try out the photo box.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #317
~THE SCALE SHOP~

booth and hubs look great.
I think Patrick has a Lathe, have him shorten the hubs for you?
wish I could join yall
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
booth and hubs look great.
I think Patrick has a Lathe, have him shorten the hubs for you?
wish I could join yall
I think it's all a moot point now 'cause after yesterday I decided this class is going to Class 2 (and deeper dish wheels). Something about this rig and the wheel/tire options I've tried just has never looked right to me. So it's time to trim away the stock plastic flares, install some loaded SCX axles, and some bigger Pit Bulls. Then it'll be time to decide if I keep the Dinky trans/t-case or move on to something else.

But in the meantime, Steve and I had a good time wheelin' our rigs yesterday. The LJ did quite well and I was pleased overall, but the narrow track width really took some getting used to. It really surprised me how well it would tackle some obstacles, but then disappointed me how easily it would roll on a "non-obstacle"! I think the driver would just need more seat time and it'd be a really good performer.

Anyway, here's a handful of pics I snapped...

And here we see the Jeep LJ in its natural habitat.....resting on its side.

And some aftermath of the trail run!

Spent nearly the whole day wheelin' on just one 2200 mah battery! I was very, very pleased with that. Got well over 2 hours out of it, but we took a few breaks during that time frame. Nonetheless, very impressive!

Steve and I also played around with the super slo mo video on our iPhones. I'll get some uploaded to youtube and slap them in here when they're ready.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Couple more pics...

Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #320
Quarry Creeper

Looks good Tommy. Color looks good in the dark green.

Idk if your still trying to get those pesky bolts out, but you could try Kroil. We use it in the Aircraft industry for that kind of stuff with good results. Maybe worth a shot.
SAL45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tommy's Class 1 Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tommy's Class 2 KoH Jeep JK Tommy R 1.9 Scale Rigs 44 03-24-2017 07:44 AM
Tommy's Big Willy Tommy R Large Scale Rigs 272 09-03-2014 02:17 PM
Class 2 Jeep JK Ty@Tekin 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 04-26-2011 09:30 AM
New Guy: Tommy's Build Thread Tommy_Boy_1184 Axial SCX-10 13 12-06-2010 05:01 AM