LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Tommy
How long are the touring car shocks your running? That is an awesome look lj
Thanks, man! I'm not really sure, but it seems most touring car shocks are pretty comparable in length. What I did was replace the piston shaft with a longer Axial piece. This got me the length I needed to work in the angled orientation of the shock. Seems to work okay...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Well, she's a runner! We have an event this weekend and I'd really like this rig to be running by then. It's only tentatively wired at the moment with the bare essentials: no winches, no BEC, no bumpers/sliders, etc. But I wanted to get it running because I wanted to test out the Dinky Divorce kit. Is the gearing going to be okay? Is the motor going to run hot? Is there going to be any binding?

So I got it running (on 3s for now) and I'm happy to report the rig seems to have very good low speed resolution and good top speed, too. The only issue I can really think of is that it's pretty loud. I suspect the issue is that I'm running a metal "spur" gear in the Gr7 unit under the hood. I will probably put a plastic gear in there to quiet it down. Other than that, I'm very encouraged by this setup! Hopefully tomorrow I can take it in to the backyard and try it on some rocks....instead of crawling over my shoes in the living room.

It's just like a funny car!

The temp. wiring:

I also bedlined the interior.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #83
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looks great Tommy!

Keep us posted on the magnets and how they do in a rollover/tumble, curious to see how it fares with them holding down the lid.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

I gotta say one thing you got that front packed tight. Thers no way I could get that in there. Looks good!
simp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #85
Oppan Gangnam Style

Oh, one more thing, you need to figure out how to recline those darn bucket seats.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looks great Tommy!

Keep us posted on the magnets and how they do in a rollover/tumble, curious to see how it fares with them holding down the lid.
Thanks, Dean! Well, I can tell you the magnets I have in there now will not likely hold in the event of a big rollover. A flop? Well, I did that tonight and it did fine. It'll need more holding power ultimately, but I've got stronger magnets arriving any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp View Post
I gotta say one thing you got that front packed tight. Thers no way I could get that in there. Looks good!
Thanks! Yeah, I had to pack it in tight since there's so little room under the body....except for under the hood. If I weren't using the Dinky setup, it'd look a LOT messier in there! But it appears I'll have room to fit a BEC, winch controller box, and a servo winch under there. This will be in addition to the front winch which will be mounted on the bumper.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Oh, one more thing, you need to figure out how to recline those darn bucket seats.
LOL! I'm 99% sure I'll be picking up some Wraith seats to pop in there. I think that'll look a lot better.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #88
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks, Dean! Well, I can tell you the magnets I have in there now will not likely hold in the event of a big rollover. A flop? Well, I did that tonight and it did fine. It'll need more holding power ultimately, but I've got stronger magnets arriving any day now.

How about a 12v electromagnet? I mean, you are running a 3s lipo....
Just think what that will do for all your electronics.

While were at it, how about an EMP cannon on the front or back of a Wraith?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Dean, you crazy!!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

What about 3M Dual Lock instead of magnets? It's a strong fastener like Velcro but more heavy duty. It's sold in black and clear. Sorry if it was already suggested.

cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
What about 3M Dual Lock instead of magnets? It's a strong fastener like Velcro but more heavy duty. It's sold in black and clear. Sorry if it was already suggested.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've typically used various forms of Velcro on my scalers over the years, but I'm wanting to try something different this time. One of the things I like about the magnets is that they center up to the exact same location each time. No aligning of the body is necessary. To address this, I usually add alignment guides to the body. Hoping this time I won't have to!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

So I got to run the Jeep today. I was quite surprised 'cause it performed really well! I figured the extra rear weight from the cage would really hurt its performance, but not so much. I think I may even gear it up for a bit more speed. Although, it's tempting to just keep it the way it is and try 4s. We'll see... Anyway, here's a couple pics from today...

Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #93
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

Looking good! Who stole the bumpers?
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Looking good! Who stole the bumpers?
Right! Yeah, I need to get rolling some finishing up the metal work on this rig now that it's running.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Jeep looks sweet. I like the way the cage turned out. Where did you get that air tank? I need one I those for my build.

to 4 cell. The main reason I'm going to the roc 412 over another Pro 4 is the 412 can handle 4 cell.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

Looks good Tommy. Glad to see you back in the game. Another month or so and my new shop will be done and I am looking for a new C1 build myself to replace the current TF2.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Jeep looks sweet. I like the way the cage turned out. Where did you get that air tank? I need one I those for my build.

to 4 cell. The main reason I'm going to the roc 412 over another Pro 4 is the 412 can handle 4 cell.
Thanks! The air tank came from Team3six (Norm). I don't think he sells them any longer, but I could be mistaken. 4 cell may happen at some point, but I think I'll stick with a conventional brushed motor for this rig since it's not modeled after an 800 hp rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Looks good Tommy. Glad to see you back in the game. Another month or so and my new shop will be done and I am looking for a new C1 build myself to replace the current TF2.
Thanks, Neil! Looking forward to see what you come up with...

Regarding my magnet idea, I think it's looking pretty good. It was a non-issue crawling over the weekend. Granted, I didn't abuse the truck, but it did flop a few times and even did an endo, but the body held pretty securely. Nonetheless, I know it's just a matter of time before those relatively weak magnets become an issue.

Over the weekend I took delivery of some new magnets that are about the size of a penny. I stacked 5 of them on the chassis as shown. I glued one to the underside of the body. The reason I used 6 magnets is simply because that gave me the height I needed to put the body where I wanted it.

Are they strong enough now? I think so....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #98

Very cool
19_mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Awesome build tommy like the magnet idea. Have a build I think I'm gonna use that on.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

JeremyH put together a video from this past weekend.

Tommy's Class 1 Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tommy's Class 2 KoH Jeep JK Tommy R 1.9 Scale Rigs 44 03-24-2017 07:44 AM
Tommy's Big Willy Tommy R Large Scale Rigs 272 09-03-2014 02:17 PM
Class 2 Jeep JK Ty@Tekin 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 04-26-2011 09:30 AM
New Guy: Tommy's Build Thread Tommy_Boy_1184 Axial SCX-10 13 12-06-2010 05:01 AM