Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

LOL, they came with the body.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

Hmmm not the stock body. I have that body and I'm pretty sure there not sock. Me likey!
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Tommy
Have some hot rod parts for your model a if your interested. What tires are you running on the lj?
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
Hmmm not the stock body. I have that body and I'm pretty sure there not sock. Me likey!
This is really starting to come together. Looking good Tommy!

The 1/10 new bright tj comes in different configurations as far as stickers and body colors go. Depending on which one you bought you could end up with the blue racing seats or red jeep seats or those tan jeep seats. Some say rubicon on the windshield some say newbright
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post

The 1/10 new bright tj comes in different configurations as far as stickers and body colors go. Depending on which one you bought you could end up with the blue racing seats or red jeep seats or those tan jeep seats. Some say rubicon on the windshield some say newbright
There's also the Nikko TJ body that comes with even different seats.

monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Haha! I just saw that you posted in my thread. Thanks man, the FJ40 will be a fun one to work on for sure!

I didn't know you have a 1:1 jeep. Thread somewhere?
Yessir. Picked up an '01 back in '07. It's a LONG thread, but here's my build journal on jeepforum if you want to skim through it:
Tommy's Jeep Build Journal - JeepForum.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
I just checked another New Bright TJ and it's got the same seats. They're red, but same design. I'd like to replace these with some Wraith seats, but I need to make sure the size is right before I decide to swap them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Tommy
Have some hot rod parts for your model a if your interested. What tires are you running on the lj?
Sweet! Hit me up via PM with what you've got available. The LJ will likely run the MTZs shown on it. If tire clearance allows, I may get some Baja Claws or 1.7 Iroks. It'll remain Class 1 so they need to be below 4.2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Thanks, man!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #67
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Might have to try the earth magnet idea, but I'm usually a glutton for punishment and solid mount my bodies with hopes I don't need to make a quick battery change. The cage looks really good too!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Might have to try the earth magnet idea, but I'm usually a glutton for punishment and solid mount my bodies with hopes I don't need to make a quick battery change. The cage looks really good too!
Thanks, Shon! In my Bronco I had to use tools to access the batteries and it was always a pain and somewhat time consuming. I vowed I'd never do that again (especially with smaller capacity batteries!). I picked up some new, larger magnets that should be here later this week. I'm hoping they'll be strong enough that it'll secure the body, even in the event of a rollover. Not that that would ever happen!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I just checked another New Bright TJ and it's got the same seats. They're red, but same design. I'd like to replace these with some Wraith seats, but I need to make sure the size is right before I decide to swap them out.
Quick cell pic comparing the size. Hope this helps:

About the same height and depth, but the wraith seats are a little wider.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #70
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Thanks, Shon! In my Bronco I had to use tools to access the batteries and it was always a pain and somewhat time consuming. I vowed I'd never do that again (especially with smaller capacity batteries!). I picked up some new, larger magnets that should be here later this week. I'm hoping they'll be strong enough that it'll secure the body, even in the event of a rollover. Not that that would ever happen!
I really have been some what lucky with battery placement as of late, my old Courier was on the slider as well as the Power Wagon and when I originally built the FJ for Eric, he wanted a box built for the battery so that really has easy access. I run the Turnigy 2200 3cells, which can be a pain to find a place to fit them in. I think I'll look into doing a hinge type mount for my brute, most likely it will have the battery and the winch servo on the sliders too.

You roll over, pfffitt that's for amateurs like me!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Oh man! Thanks a lot. Much appreciated!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
I really have been some what lucky with battery placement as of late, my old Courier was on the slider as well as the Power Wagon and when I originally built the FJ for Eric, he wanted a box built for the battery so that really has easy access. I run the Turnigy 2200 3cells, which can be a pain to find a place to fit them in. I think I'll look into doing a hinge type mount for my brute, most likely it will have the battery and the winch servo on the sliders too.

You roll over, pfffitt that's for amateurs like me!

Yeah, I've got some of those Turnigy 2200s, too. I liked them, but they were a tad big for most of my builds so I downsized.....which meant more frequent battery changes! Argh!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

been watchin this for a while now (loved your yota build)
kinda on topic here..

im running a 21.5 bl speedpassion motor with an mmp in my HEEP..
the battery is a gens ace 1550 4s and i get REALLY close to an hour of run time out of it with heavy wheelin..

sorry had to whore it out...
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #74
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've got some of those Turnigy 2200s, too. I liked them, but they were a tad big for most of my builds so I downsized.....which meant more frequent battery changes! Argh!
Yes they do pose a challenge to fit in, but worth the Mah. I only started using them because occasionally we do a Rally Cross type event (like G6) and wanted to make sure I had plenty of battery.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Tommy, my experience withthe rare earth magnets has been great, a few things i have found when using them are....

They hold really well when trying to pull them apart, as soon as any lateral side to side movement is applied they slide easy and loose there holding power. So, if you can pin the hood,body doors or what ever you are trying to use them with so it doesnt slide sideways you should be good to go. All the pinning has to do is keep it from shifting,let the magnet do the holding from a pulling apart stand point.

Also, glueing the magnets can be a pain, They have so much holding power that sometimes the magnets will stay attached to each other and break the glue bond instead. Try to dremal a small groove into the magnets and use a dab of shoe goo.Press the magnet into it so the goo so that the goo puddles up into the groove and gives it a place to bond to prevent separation during the pulling process

Hope that nmade sence.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Yep, Devlin, that makes perfect sense! And thanks! I made the rear hinges for the body fairly long and snug to the framerails so I'm hoping they'll help provide some lateral support (the magnets will only be used up front). But if not, I'll definitely use your idea of grinding a slot into the magnets and using Shoe Goo.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Well, I'll be darned. Tonight I cleaned up the weld/braze joints on the cage, touched up a few places with some more solder, gave it a little lovin' from a flapper wheel, and after some paint it looks dang near presentable. Go figger! It's far from perfect and not quite as nice as I'd hoped, but I'm nonetheless pleased with it.

The pics don't show up too well, but these will have to do 'til I can get some outside pics (after the rain stops).

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #78
RCC Addict

cage looks good man. did a good job on all those joints as well
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
cage looks good man. did a good job on all those joints as well
Thanks! Some of the joints are a little bulkier than I would've preferred, but I'd rather them be too bulky and be strong, than be really slender joints with the chance of breaking.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Tommy
How long are the touring car shocks your running? That is an awesome look lj
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tommy's Class 1 Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tommy's Class 2 KoH Jeep JK Tommy R 1.9 Scale Rigs 44 03-24-2017 07:44 AM
Tommy's Big Willy Tommy R Large Scale Rigs 272 09-03-2014 02:17 PM
Class 2 Jeep JK Ty@Tekin 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 04-26-2011 09:30 AM
New Guy: Tommy's Build Thread Tommy_Boy_1184 Axial SCX-10 13 12-06-2010 05:01 AM