Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: heinie_21 is finally building a SAS'd FJ-Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default heinie_21 - SAS Toyota FJ Cruiser - "Eff Jay"

I've been a FJ-Cruiser fan since the original concepts were leaked on the net. At the time when the FJ-Cruiser was just a rumor, I was still driving my first car, a 1984 FJ60 LandCruiser.

I still have this Cruiser to this day, although it hasn't been driven since 2009 unfortunately. My parents bought it new in 1984 and every one of my 5 siblings and myself drove it in our high-school years. My high-school principal even said it was the school's honorary mascot because it had been attending the school for so many years (with different drivers of course lol).

In 2006 I was lucky enough to actually sit in THE FIRST FJ-Cruiser to be sold in Utah. Brent Brown Toyota had a blue one sittin in front of the dealership with all sorts of ribbons and even a free hot-dog stand. It was quite the unveiling haha.

One day if I can bring myself to let go of my Subaru STI I'll trade it in for a FJC. Until then, I will have to live vicariously through my RC's

I first tried to satisfy my 1:1 FJC needs through a CC-01 based New Bright FJ Cruiser.

It turned out pretty cool. I miss it. CC-01's are fun, and pretty accurate being IFS with 4-linked rear. But the NewBright body left something to be desired.
Here's how the CC-01 FJC turned out before I sold it. Or traded it or something.

Then I tried this tuber FJ.

I think i would have really loved this FJ if it wouldn't have been one little problem. At the exact same time I was building this rig, my best friend (steele42) was building a scx-10 rig based off of a NIKKO FJ-Cruiser body (that I so graciously gave to him). His rig is turning out absolutely amazing! It's very scale, and he knows how to drive it so it's surprisingly capable! My rig will actually turn out looking very similar to his haha. We both kind of had the same idea at the same time. But its fine because we're good enough friends that we dont mind having the same things. We probably have more fun that way!
I may end up painting mine a different color eventually, but I dont want to just do a cheap rattle-can paint job on this one. But we'll see.

Okay, FINALLY on to the pics of "Eff Jay", the currenty build. Sorry about the FJC history lesson! About a year after my first CC-01 NB FJC I finally got my hands on a NIKKO FJ-Cruiser body. Got it in the classifieds here on RCC. Here's how the previous owner had the rig set up:

It's pretty cool, but definitely not what I have in mind for my rig. But it got me a body and a chassis cut down to size with sliders, so it was a good place to start. I would have preferred to have the factory bumpers on the body, but I will make a slightly more modified looking FJ than my friends.

Last edited by heinie_21; 03-14-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: gave the FJC a nick name in the title "Eff Jay"
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: heinie_21 is finally building a SAS'd FJ-Cruiser

here's the beginning of my project!
The summit bumper is what I plan on using with this build.

The metal bumper that came with it is pretty cool, but a little too tube crawler-ish for what i'm trying to build. I think the summit bumper will compliment it better.

(this is sitting on my LR-3 chassis turned upside down for just a sneak peak.)

Last edited by heinie_21; 12-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

congrats on finally finding one!!!
xturdfergusonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I love Foreign Jeeps! The happiest day of my life was when I drove mine home. Get rid of the Subaru already and step up to a real, Fake Jeep.

I look forward to watching the build. You should use a yota axle in the rear and a K44 in the front. I don't know how the gear ratios are between the two though. But that would be whack!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturdfergusonx View Post
congrats on finally finding one!!!
haha thanks man! took me long enough, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I love Foreign Jeeps! The happiest day of my life was when I drove mine home. Get rid of the Subaru already and step up to a real, Fake Jeep.

I look forward to watching the build. You should use a yota axle in the rear and a K44 in the front. I don't know how the gear ratios are between the two though. But that would be whack!

I was actually considering naming this thread "heinie's Foriegn Jeep" but i wasn't sure if anybody would know what it meant haha. and it wouldn't pop up if somebody searched FJ Cruiser. ya know?

The build is going good. I almost have a roller right now actually! I'm just usually slow on the pics/thread. but i'm gonna try to keep the thread updated regularly this time haha.

I actually ran a k44 front / yota rear on my hilux for a while. It looked legit, and would look super sweet on this rig for sure. Problem is the gear ratios are not the same. This COULD be good, but in this case, it's not a desireable gear ratio change. The yota (rear) is ~ 3:1 where the k44 (front) is ~2.5:1. so it is a slight underdrive in the front, which kinda sucks. I wish it were overdriven in the front because i feel that it would climb better and look like a legit SAS'd Fake JeepCruiser. I was also told by rc4wd that the ring/pinion of the yotas are not compatible in k44 axles and visa-versa

Thanks for the inspiration with your FJ noob!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
I think i would have really loved this FJ if it wouldn't have been one little problem. At the exact same time I was building this rig, my best friend (steele42) was building a scx-10 rig based off of a NIKKO FJ-Cruiser body (that I so graciously gave to him).
VERY graciously and VERY appreciated

Quote:
My rig will actually turn out looking very similar to his haha. We both kind of had the same idea at the same time. But its fine because we're good enough friends that we dont mind having the same things. We probably have more fun that way!

We've had the same things most of our lives. Never bothered me none...

Quote:
The summit bumper is what I plan on using with this build.
The summit bumper is very accuratly scaled

And if anyone hasn't already seen it, here is this FJ's brother
EL GUAPO The Handsome FJ Cruiser

Can't wait to get these two together! We're going to have to make a trip down south away from all this snow!
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks pretty cool. I have a slightly more beaten Nikko body making its way across the country in a box as we speak. Ill also be joining the FJC/SCX10 club soon. The plans are brewing...stay tuned.
NHMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Subd! I'm considering. Trying to build one after I finish my tj
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaxx View Post
Looks pretty cool. I have a slightly more beaten Nikko body making its way across the country in a box as we speak. Ill also be joining the FJC/SCX10 club soon. The plans are brewing...stay tuned.
Oh good I'm glad you found one too! Where did you find yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
Subd! I'm considering trying to build one after I finish my tj
We should start a club. The FJCRCSAS club lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Made a lot of progress today. Tired. Will post pics tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by heinie_21; 12-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The FJCRCSAS club lol.
Haha what an acronym!
I've been looking for a cruiser body for a bit, I did my swb on a newbright
TJ tho. Ill have to sell it to fund a cruiser.
One swb vehicle is good for me.
Can't wait to see more!
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Haha what an acronym!
I've been looking for a cruiser body for a bit, I did my swb on a newbright
TJ tho. Ill have to sell it to fund a cruiser.
One swb vehicle is good for me.
Can't wait to see more!
I hear ya. I have my NB LR-3 and they're pretty much the exact same wheelbase, same width, same hardbody weight, same axles, same... pretty much everything. I can see my LR-3 going up for sale someime soon because it wont get used once i get this FJC done hahaha! I loved that LR-3, but this beast is kinda my dream build from day 1. Only things i can think of to make this build better right now are k44's and an interior. Oh and painted professionally in toyota "quicksand" tan.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=heinie_21;4079062]Oh good I'm glad you found one too! Where did you find yours?

A member here had one on the self for a later project and decided he wouldn't get to it. The rear posts are torn out of the roof so need to fix that and fill some scratches. I was planning on painting anyways so I had no problem wit it being a bit scratched up. Anyone have a good way to buff out the scratches on the windows?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

ive been wondering about the windows too. there's a scratch on the driver window mine. it's not deep or really that bad.. but it's a window! they're not supposed to be scratched! lol. if i find a way i'll let you know!

front ride height mock-up

this thing is gonna be sweet.

front width mock-up

i dig it

Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

got some shocks to use on the FJ. 80's and 90's. the 80's might be a bit short! haha we'll see

we have a rear axle!!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

decided to go 4ws......

Just kidding

mocking up some tires. which ones...? which ones...?

need to extend the rear about 1/4" to line up with the wheel wells better and clock it up a bit more so the driveshafts wont bind.
full stuff (90mm shocks)

full drop-out (90mm shocks)

front axle mounted!!

testing driveshaft angles. On a short wheelbase like this I try to keep the front links as long as i can and the front castor fairly neutral with the rear pinion clocked up a lot.

Last edited by heinie_21; 12-21-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Front end mounted. rear end extended. different rims and tires (until my order of hardware comes from locked up rc)

it sits a bit tall. need to zip tie the rear axle down and figure something out in the front. will probably internally limit the front shocks with rubber bump stops inside the shock body.

Last edited by heinie_21; 12-21-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I just had a thought on the scratched windows. I'm going to try my headlight lens rehaber...you know the ones in the stupid ads about having foggy headlights. and with this amazing little buffer ball, a drill, and some goo you headlights can be crystal clear again.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

But wait, there's more! Call now and get the magical shammazing shammy. Now matter how much water it absorbs you never have to wring it out!

But actually that might work! I imagine headlight plastic is a harder plastic than our windows, but who knows?

Wait is yours a nikko or newbright? I was thinking toothpaste and a micro fiber cloth. But I dunno if it'd work. Try it and see!

Last edited by heinie_21; 12-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

The body is a blue Nikko but its not going to stay that color.

heinie_21 is finally building a SAS'd FJ-Cruiser - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old School SAS'd FJ Cruiser frankenstunk 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 12-23-2012 07:41 PM
Finally Building a 1/6 Scale Rob92k1500 Kyosho Crawlers 19 04-02-2007 09:51 PM
SWEET finally im building a tlt king_crawler Tamiya TLT Crawlers 17 01-27-2007 06:38 AM
Getting to building My Own Hi Lift Finally RPP Hobby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 12-04-2006 06:13 PM
Building a crawler, finally! trickedoutTLT06 Newbie General 4 08-03-2006 03:47 PM